[NL20-NL50] BB 23 flopped straight

• Hackett77
      Hackett77
      Bronze
      What to do here? it seems like an easy call but the CO had just joined and posted dead blinds so im totally in the dark on him.

I felt a fold could easily be considered here but was so not sure what to do?

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $14.35
      Hero:
      $51.05
      MP2:
      $41.10
      CO:
      $50.00
      BU:
      $42.00

0.25/0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2:diamond: , 3:heart: . CO posts a blind of $0.50.
      MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.50, MP3 folds, CO checks, BU calls $0.50, SB calls $0.25, Hero checks.

Flop: ($2.50) 6:heart: , 4:diamond: , 5:club: (5 players)
      SB bets $2.00, Hero raises to $8.50, MP2 folds, CO raises to $49.50 (All-In), 2 folds, Hero calls $41.00.

Turn: ($103.50) 3:diamond:
      River: ($103.50) 3:club: (1 players)

Final Pot: $103.50

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a straight, six high (2d 3h)
      CO shows two pairs, sixes and fives (6d 5d)

Hero wins with a straight, six high (2d 3h)
  • 9 replies
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hello,
      No way to fold the third nuts here, especially against a poster that plays his first hand.No brainer call. He could easily be shoving a pair + OESD, two pair, sets or complete air. On the other hand, he is likely to flat your big raise(make it 6$ btw) and extract more value from you with the nuts on rainbow flop.

Best regards,
      darkonebg

[size=10]If you have any further questions about this hand,
      dont hesitate to ask them in this thread,
      and dont forget to click the "Advise the judge of taking another look " button in the reply form.[/size]
    • Hackett77
      Hackett77
      Bronze
      Cheers for the advice

Im a little too cautios sometimes.

You think my raise was too big? my thoughts were to take it down on the flop thinking I was unlikely to be ahead still by the river but thats was a mistake was it? I should of been aiming for value on all streets rather than take it there and then?
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hello,
      BTW I just noticed you posted results, we dont need those.
      The perfect raise size should balance the need for protection and the desire for value. Against an unknown who's betting pot, 3 times is more than enough. Your hand is the third nuts and you are not trying to create fold equity, but simply to protect while extracting vaue. Your ability to determine if your hand is still good on the turn or river is crucial here. For instance, if he did flatcall and the 3 came on the turn, I'd bet/fold to any further action or just call if he donks.

Best regards,
      darkonebg

and dont forget to click the "Advise the judge of taking another look " button in the reply form.[/size]
    • Hackett77
      Hackett77
      Bronze
      OK thank you, Im with on the raise size, I think I panicked a bit and didnt really want to see a turn.

Maybe im tired now but you say I have 3rd nuts, what else could I be behind other than 78?
    • Hackett77
      Hackett77
      Bronze
      Oh 3 7 obviously!!!
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hello,
      yes,as a poster he could have any two, 37 included.
      Your BRM is kinda aggressive btw , you may want to revise it.

Best regards,
      darkonebg

• Hackett77
      Hackett77
      Bronze
      Thanks again.

Im more than comfortable on my own 10% buy in rule.

I dont really play many high variance situations and am very comfortable at these limits. I will probably review this though once i get to 1/2 as ive not played that limit or above before.
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hello,
      Exactly my point. Having too aggressive brm leads to playing cautiously, and by avoiding "high variance situations" you are missing value and developping a possible leak for later on. And btw, I've had 10BI daily swings.

Best regards,
      darkonebg

• Hackett77
      Hackett77
      Bronze
      I know what your saying but once i hit the 1k mark ($80 to go), Everything I make over this each week is now my income as I have been out of work for few months and have been building up cautiously to get to this point. So I just play solid for 8ish hours a day, This is my job now, albeit im still an apprentice.

I dont mind playing cautious and still drawing a few hundred $$ each week to sustain me.

ive not had more than a negative 2BI day since i started and im used to playing NL100 which supported me through College a couple of years ago. Took some time out but now im back for the longhaul and while I may be losing some value its a balance I have to keep at the moment,

You see i play purely at one table so I maximise what I can get from opponents play and put alot of emphasis on finding exactly theright opponents and am lucky enought to be able to structure my day to meet them so dont really feel the need to enter into too many high variance situations, preferring just to slowly build throughout the day.

I only plan to take the minimum i need each week now so i can still build my BR a bit too but I will stay at NL50 anyway so im only on a 5% BU rule now anyway