This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Poker and your kids

    • Ejeckt
      Ejeckt
      Bronze
      Joined: 06.12.2008 Posts: 517
      I was watching the poker channel just now, and they had quite a few interviews with players. One pretty common thing you hear from professional players is that they got into poker because their father (didn't yet hear mother) was a poker player and they learned to play for their pocket/lunch money at a very young age.

      My question to y'all who have found some success at this is... would you ever do things with your kids that would also lead them into a life of poker? Or would you, even though you are a poker player, act like most parents do when they learn their child is gambling? :P My father still doesn't know, good thing I live on my own.

      It's a normal part of life to do things that you would never want your children to do. Personally, I don't think I'd mind my future kids learning poker from me... but I'd still seriously advocate that they go to university and get a good career going for themselves. I'd never encourage a poker career, even if I have a booming one :P
  • 8 replies
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      Joined: 19.04.2008 Posts: 5,545
      it's not gambling when you're good at it!
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Joined: 18.09.2008 Posts: 4,877
      Well, why wouldn't I encourage my kids to get into a game which I myself have enjoyed?

      I don't rely on poker as income but if I can ever get good enough too then I would of course consider it!

      I don't believe I would ever tell my kids to become poker players, but I wouldn't tell my kids not to. I would hope that they find something they are good at, that they enjoy, and that they can find a career path in.. whatever that may be!
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Joined: 09.09.2008 Posts: 2,214
      Originally posted by Waiboy
      Well, why wouldn't I encourage my kids to get into a game which I myself have enjoyed?

      I don't rely on poker as income but if I can ever get good enough too then I would of course consider it!

      I don't believe I would ever tell my kids to become poker players, but I wouldn't tell my kids not to. I would hope that they find something they are good at, that they enjoy, and that they can find a career path in.. whatever that may be!
      +1

      However at the same time when I introduce the game to my kids (if I ever have any), I would wait till they are a certain age and make them very aware what a gambling addiction is and what can happen etc.
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Joined: 17.07.2008 Posts: 4,383
      Pros:

      - You can teach your children a possibly very lucrative "carreer". You know it works and what's needed to make it. I have a saying "he who knows poker doesn't go hungry".
      - You can make this carreer much easier for them, pointing out what not to do.
      - You help each other, both learn together, even if you are the teacher. They can help motivate you on a downswing.
      - You bond with your children and hopefully generate a better relationship with them.



      Cons:

      - Ill get back to you on this one
    • Ejeckt
      Ejeckt
      Bronze
      Joined: 06.12.2008 Posts: 517
      Originally posted by TheBrood
      Pros:

      - You can teach your children a possibly very lucrative "carreer". You know it works and what's needed to make it. I have a saying "he who knows poker doesn't go hungry".
      - You can make this carreer much easier for them, pointing out what not to do.
      - You help each other, both learn together, even if you are the teacher. They can help motivate you on a downswing.
      - You bond with your children and hopefully generate a better relationship with them.



      Cons:

      - Ill get back to you on this one
      lol, I like this one :D I've never thought of poker bringing you closer to your children. But I guess I'd be very good at sympathizing with them when they're on a downswing :)
    • Jackalof
      Jackalof
      Bronze
      Joined: 08.06.2008 Posts: 1,462
      I wonder what would happen if both father and son, teacher and apprentice went on a heavy downswing? ;)
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Joined: 17.07.2008 Posts: 4,383
      Originally posted by Jackalof
      I wonder what would happen if both father and son, teacher and apprentice went on a heavy downswing? ;)
      Teacher would have to step up and pull them out of it
    • ShadowOfLight1337
      ShadowOfLight1337
      Bronze
      Joined: 26.04.2009 Posts: 239
      Originally posted by Jackalof
      I wonder what would happen if both father and son, teacher and apprentice went on a heavy downswing? ;)
      They'd probably be like... Aww hell, screw poker, this shit is rigged :f_p: