Poker and your kids

• Ejeckt
      Ejeckt
      Bronze
      I was watching the poker channel just now, and they had quite a few interviews with players. One pretty common thing you hear from professional players is that they got into poker because their father (didn't yet hear mother) was a poker player and they learned to play for their pocket/lunch money at a very young age.

My question to y'all who have found some success at this is... would you ever do things with your kids that would also lead them into a life of poker? Or would you, even though you are a poker player, act like most parents do when they learn their child is gambling? :P My father still doesn't know, good thing I live on my own.

It's a normal part of life to do things that you would never want your children to do. Personally, I don't think I'd mind my future kids learning poker from me... but I'd still seriously advocate that they go to university and get a good career going for themselves. I'd never encourage a poker career, even if I have a booming one :P
  • 8 replies
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      it's not gambling when you're good at it!
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Well, why wouldn't I encourage my kids to get into a game which I myself have enjoyed?

I don't rely on poker as income but if I can ever get good enough too then I would of course consider it!

I don't believe I would ever tell my kids to become poker players, but I wouldn't tell my kids not to. I would hope that they find something they are good at, that they enjoy, and that they can find a career path in.. whatever that may be!
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Waiboy
      Well, why wouldn't I encourage my kids to get into a game which I myself have enjoyed?

I don't rely on poker as income but if I can ever get good enough too then I would of course consider it!

I don't believe I would ever tell my kids to become poker players, but I wouldn't tell my kids not to. I would hope that they find something they are good at, that they enjoy, and that they can find a career path in.. whatever that may be!
      +1

However at the same time when I introduce the game to my kids (if I ever have any), I would wait till they are a certain age and make them very aware what a gambling addiction is and what can happen etc.
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Pros:

- You can teach your children a possibly very lucrative "carreer". You know it works and what's needed to make it. I have a saying "he who knows poker doesn't go hungry".
      - You can make this carreer much easier for them, pointing out what not to do.
      - You help each other, both learn together, even if you are the teacher. They can help motivate you on a downswing.
      - You bond with your children and hopefully generate a better relationship with them.

Cons:

- Ill get back to you on this one
    • Ejeckt
      Ejeckt
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TheBrood
      Pros:

- You can teach your children a possibly very lucrative "carreer". You know it works and what's needed to make it. I have a saying "he who knows poker doesn't go hungry".
      - You can make this carreer much easier for them, pointing out what not to do.
      - You help each other, both learn together, even if you are the teacher. They can help motivate you on a downswing.
      - You bond with your children and hopefully generate a better relationship with them.

Cons:

- Ill get back to you on this one
      lol, I like this one :D I've never thought of poker bringing you closer to your children. But I guess I'd be very good at sympathizing with them when they're on a downswing :)
    • Jackalof
      Jackalof
      Bronze
      I wonder what would happen if both father and son, teacher and apprentice went on a heavy downswing? ;)
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Jackalof
      I wonder what would happen if both father and son, teacher and apprentice went on a heavy downswing? ;)
      Teacher would have to step up and pull them out of it
    • ShadowOfLight1337
      ShadowOfLight1337
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Jackalof
      They'd probably be like... Aww hell, screw poker, this shit is rigged :f_p: