[NL2-NL10] Suited Connectors with four to the flop

• STR82ACE
      STR82ACE
      Bronze
      Normally, suited connectors are easy to play. Limp in if possible, hit the flop and take a huge pot, or miss the flop, and get out with minimum damage. I wanted to hit the flop just a LITTLE bit harder than this though.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      SB:
      $2.87
      BB:
      $4.00
      Hero:
      $5.17
      BU:
      $5.10

0.02/0.04 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 6:spade: , 5:spade:
      4 folds, Hero calls $0.04, CO folds, BU calls $0.04, SB calls $0.02, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.16) J:spade: , A:spade: , 2:heart: (4 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets $0.12, BU raises to $0.24, SB calls $0.24, BB folds, Hero calls $0.12.

Turn: ($0.88) 3:heart: (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks, BU bets $1.00, SB calls $1.00, Hero calls $1.00.

River: ($3.88) 2:spade: (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks, BU bets $1.94, SB raises to $1.59 (All-In), Hero raises to $3.89 (All-In), BU raises to $3.82 (All-In).

Final Pot: $13.18

Turn gave me a gut shot as well, but I normally discount those outs as I despise gut shots. When the board paired on the river, I was slightly worried about someone playing A2 or some other crap, but I still thought my hand was strong enough to play for maximum value.
  • 4 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello,

Preflop: If you want to play such hands then raise them up but myself I wouldn't recommend you to play such hands so early. You will need good postflop skills for playing them profitable.

As played
      Flop: Fine.
      Turn: The Call is very close here, myself I would prefer to fold.
      River: Going broke.

Best regards,
      Rensu
    • Mstlc
      Mstlc
      Bronze
      Preflop: If you want to play such hands then raise them up but myself I wouldn't recommend you to play such hands so early. You will need good postflop skills for playing them profitable.
      Doesn't strategy tell not to raise suited connectors as they don't play well in raised pots?

I wouldn't play this hand myself here. Suited connectors are nice hands but they're hard to play out of position + 6 5 aren't very good connectors either. You're almost never gonna get value from your hand if you manage to hit a straight, 8743 etc aren't exactly what you call action cards.

Anyway, about the hand:

Pre-flop: I personally wouldn't play 65s out of position but if you wanna play I like the limp here.

Flop: Bet smaller, block bet for like half the pot. You don't have a hand here, you only have a flush draw, you have no other outs. If you get raised heavily just fold the hand, you won't have the odds. You're gonna find that bad players will often just flat call there thou, especially if they have a good hand.

Turn: I don't like calling there. I'd lead out with a 30-40% pot bet there again as a block bet. Same rule again thou, if you get a heavy raise around your ears, you fold.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Mstlc
      Doesn't strategy tell not to raise suited connectors as they don't play well in raised pots?

I wouldn't play this hand myself here. Suited connectors are nice hands but they're hard to play out of position + 6 5 aren't very good connectors either. You're almost never gonna get value from your hand if you manage to hit a straight, 8743 etc aren't exactly what you call action cards.

Anyway, about the hand:

Pre-flop: I personally wouldn't play 65s out of position but if you wanna play I like the limp here.

Flop: Bet smaller, block bet for like half the pot. You don't have a hand here, you only have a flush draw, you have no other outs. If you get raised heavily just fold the hand, you won't have the odds. You're gonna find that bad players will often just flat call there thou, especially if they have a good hand.

Turn: I don't like calling there. I'd lead out with a 30-40% pot bet there again as a block bet. Same rule again thou, if you get a heavy raise around your ears, you fold.
      The point is in higher limits you wont play according to the chart and limp such hands. ;) And it's better to start up with mixing your game at early levels when you don't have to pay much and try to learn and handle to play with such hands if you want to play such hands.
    • Mstlc
      Mstlc
      Bronze
      Originally posted by verizThe point is in higher limits you wont play according to the chart and limp such hands. ;) And it's better to start up with mixing your game at early levels when you don't have to pay much and try to learn and handle to play with such hands if you want to play such hands.
      Point taken :]