Notes in sng play

• radyan111
      radyan111
      Bronze
      Yesterday, while I've been playing a set of four 1$ sit and goes on Stars, I noticed that one of the players sits with me on every table. That's kinda unusual for me because I play rarely and there are tons if players on that limit on Stars. On one of the tables he limp/called preflop with QQ and then went broke on the flop when he made an overpair (was up against AA though). I thought that it is worth noting down, so I did just that.

And then I wondered how should I take notes in sit and goes? I'm playing cash games regularly and only from time to time I try tournament play. But in order to become a better overall player I would like to hear something about notes in sng's. First two or maybe even three blind levels it's kinda similiar to cash game cause the blinds are still low and there's room left for postflop play. But as the blinds rise it's whole different world. What should I note down? Loose pushes? Bad folds (I mean with odds to call with any two)? Late stage limping? Only hands that got to showdown? And what factors are most important? Of course blind levels and his stack size stack, but what more?

Any opinions appreciated.

Cheers and see you at the tables.
  • 4 replies
    • lulda
      lulda
      Bronze
      Generaly I take notes as much as I can. It´s easy till let´s say 9, 10 tables,afterwards I don´t have that much time (I think I should use some HUD there but right now I´m using none).

The notes I make most often is: loose, really loose and damn loose, goes broke TT preflop early, loose post flop...

And later I make notes as limp fold middle (take middle at BB = 100), limp fold late, limp call push K9s late, limp KK late, minraise fold late, minraise call JTs late, minraise monsters late, let go while in the SB (make this note, when the BB is more than 1 tenth of his stack), call push KQ late...

I'm playing on Titan and it's very handy there, since you play way often with the same people.
    • Ejeckt
      Ejeckt
      Bronze
      In John Vorhaus' book, killer online poker 2, I got some good ideas for notes. He uses abbreviations. So I'll give some of the ones I use

BBP = Bets Bottom Pair
      DD = Drives Draws (against the odds)
      TPNK = Top Pair No Kicker is good enough (After I've seen a shove)
      AO = attacks orphans (flops that are very dry and drawless and very unlikely to have been hit)
      YO = Yields Orphans
      TTT = tickle the trout (does strange plays with his good hands. such as minbets/limps monsters, gives you great odds, etc)
      FNL = Fast n Loose (also very aggressive when he detects weakness)
      RRR/CRR = Raises are Real/Calls are Real (the tight sort of player who raises and calls only good made hands)

I'd add a 1x or 2x or 3x for the amount of times I've seen the play and have it confirmed. Naturally, I'd only make the note if it was relevant. Such as BBP on flop aggressively. But if he bets BBP heads up in position with check flop, check turn and check river into him, I may not make the note. Depends on the board and blinds, etc.

From Colin Moshman's book I use

HBL (High blind limper)
      I'd be more inclinded to push very widely into this limper if I'm short at high blinds.

And then sometimes I make a note on their range at a blind level and players.

Eg: bbl K9s+ from BB if SB p w/ ~5 (That he'd call a Small Blind Bubble Push with K9+ if SB push was about 5 Big Blinds

And then the obvious

TAG,
      LAG,
      TP
      LP.
      But for these last 4 I let my HUD stats do the work.
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      easiest way to make (usefull) notes are two steps:

- learn the abc sng style (like 3betting QQ preflop :tongue: )

- make notes on the way people differ from the abc strategy.

Notes are most important on regulars (or really every player you see alot).

You can't really apply the notes from the above posters, since postflop and preflop situations in sng's are far less complex.

I use this note system (assuming 10/9 max sng)
      22$ sss m 5% BSS

- buy-in level
      - s: spotted. It's a system to use your 5 sharkscope searches on a efficient way: every time you see someone you think you saw before: tag him with s. If you see someone with an s, add another. When a player has "sss" --> sharkscope him. If he's a regular you can change SSS with R (for regular)
      - m: multitabler
      -X%: ROI% found on sharkscope
      -BSS: big sample size-- as Oposed to SSS

So that one line tells you alot about the player allready. Next I try to make notes on the way villain plays there hands, and I only write down the things I dont do.
      examples:
      - 20 3bet JJ IP FS
      blind level 20 -- villain 3bets JJ preflop- In position- Full stack
      Make notes on the key hands: 3bet with JJ AQ AK. This will tell you alot about the preflop range, which is super important vs. regulars

I rarely make notes on postflop play (unless they are real solid) because postflop is pretty easy: Go broke when you hit - potcontrol/fold when you dont.

For the lategame (high blinds) I make notes like:
      - pushes loose from button
      - calls loose (good) from BB ------------(most players call too tight)
      - loose from SB

So my notebox can look like:
      22$ R 7% 33$ ss 3% SSS
      20 cc KQ IP
      20 3bet AKs OOP FS
      40 minraise QQ UTG HS
      Loose from SB
      -$EV pushed UTG (good)
    • Nunki
      Nunki
      Bronze
      1) What is villain's propensity to call shoves on bubble.

2)How lightly villain stacks-off when the blinds are relatively small.