Coming back - How to go about it?

• NickCormier
      NickCormier
      Bronze
      I havent played online poker for about 2 years (school/etc) and even then, I wasnt really a big player back then, I just got to about a $300 bankroll, never higher..

I am looking to come back though now that I am done school, gonna take a pretty serious crack at playing at a high level, after seeing all my fellow SC players being so good at it lately..

I never really played with any poker programs, altho my friend Kain-The-Feared tried to tell me all the ones he uses, and what I should get.. I totally forget (that was 3 years ago)..

What programs do I need?

And 2nd) I really like the bankroll building strategy on this site, I only read the one for NL games though.. I enjoy SNG's more I think, but they are obviously abit more risky and easier to lose your bankroll.. NL cash games are easier to build up a bankroll but are also somewhat boring IMO (I only 2-3 table at a time though, eh) But what do you think is the best method for building a bankroll in a short amount of time? is NL cash games the best way to go, or can SNG's be profitable?

Thanks.
  • 2 replies
    • straddler71
      straddler71
      Global
      Originally posted by NickCormier
      I havent played online poker for about 2 years (school/etc) and even then, I wasnt really a big player back then, I just got to about a $300 bankroll, never higher..

I am looking to come back though now that I am done school, gonna take a pretty serious crack at playing at a high level, after seeing all my fellow SC players being so good at it lately..

I never really played with any poker programs, altho my friend Kain-The-Feared tried to tell me all the ones he uses, and what I should get.. I totally forget (that was 3 years ago)..

What programs do I need?

And 2nd) I really like the bankroll building strategy on this site, I only read the one for NL games though.. I enjoy SNG's more I think, but they are obviously abit more risky and easier to lose your bankroll.. NL cash games are easier to build up a bankroll but are also somewhat boring IMO (I only 2-3 table at a time though, eh) But what do you think is the best method for building a bankroll in a short amount of time? is NL cash games the best way to go, or can SNG's be profitable?

Thanks.
      There are a few poker programs out there. The most commonly used ones are hold em manager and pokertracker. Pokerstrategy has its own software called elephant. You need to collect 1000 strategy points and its yours. The other programs have free trials I believe but elephant is basically free when you collect enough strategy points.

I would play which ever game that you enjoy playing. If its sng's then play that. Don't worry about building a br in a short amount of time. Which ever game you play the profit will come. Poker is not a get rich scheme. You will be rewarded with the time and effort you put into it.

But in the beginning you can probably make more with nl cash then sng's. Debateable though.
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hello NickCormier and welcome to PokerStrategy!

There are indeed quite a few successful SC players out there (a lot of them actually on this site) ;)

The most common programs as already mentioned are Hold'em Manager and PokerTracker 3 - in addition to our resident program the PokerStrategy Elephant. All have free trial versions - and the Elephant has a free license as soon as you reach 1000 StrategyPoints.

You can build a good bankroll with any format including SNGs - although this shouldn't be your initial focus. If you want to make it to the top your emphasis should be on good and solid play - so that you can later on be successful on the higher stakes. One of the members on this site actually took his SNG bankroll from $100 to $10,000 in 15 days - while using good BRM the entire time (he played up to 50 tables at once though) just due to actually having reached such a high level of knowledge that he is able to beat all the low limits without much extra thinking.

The format you choose also depends on the room & availability of games at that site as well though. Where are you planning on playing? You can get a good overview of our partnersites here: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/online-poker-rooms/

Best regards
      SoyCD