Limit vs No limit

• columbyrne
      columbyrne
      Bronze
      Im cutting my teeth on sngs enjoy playing them, I have played at limit cash tables .50-1.00 1.00-2.00 the trouble I find is every hand is chased down to the river by 3 or more players, I perceive that the money is not the object and they are playing there egos, and winning preflop hands and hands that are best on the flop are often beat by the turn and river. In no limit sngs the betting enables forced folds to the chasing players. I suppose before I brave the change to no limit cash games will the same stratergies and disiplines of sitngos apply logically i think they will. I feel if the limits are to low a lot of people do not respect the money. At what level would you expect to find at least the majority playing right? would appreciate any input.
  • 5 replies
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Hi columbyrne

I honestly think you are missing the point. You want players playing their egos, you want players not playing according to odds and outs. When they do this, they lose. In the long term, as long as you are playing according to the strategies presented on PS.com, you win.

If you play with players who play optimally (correctly), you will lose in the long term unless you also play optimally. You really DO NOT WANT PLAYERS PLAYING PERFECTLY AT YOU!!!

It seems odd that you should be playing at such reasonable limits as .50/1 and 1/2 FL and yet not understand this fundamental priciple.

You will find the same problems at NL as you experience at FL, only when you get sucked out on or take a bad beat you will lose your stack. Bet sizings won't eliminate bad play - thank goodness!!

I really hope you understand that you have a perception issue. I think further study will help you understand this and make you a much better and more dangerous player.

Best of luck.

:f_thumbsup:
    • michaelqian
      michaelqian
      Bronze
      It's not about braveness or ego.

But I personally play no limit.

In limit games you can't really bluff effectively, you get a lot more calling stations who will call all the way down to the river with hands like 93o.

Sometimes they do unfortunately get lucky on the river, but shouldn't happen that often.
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by michaelqian
      In limit games you can't really bluff effectively, you get a lot more calling stations who will call all the way down to the river with hands like 93o.

Sometimes they do unfortunately get lucky on the river, but shouldn't happen that often.
      Hmm.. I'm not sure what limits you're playing but I think you'll see enough players calling to the river with hands like 93o no matter whether you play no limit or fixed limit!

Check out the kind of play you can expect even at $3/$6 FLSH just as an example.
    • michaelqian
      michaelqian
      Bronze
      As a fairly inexperience poker player, I think that's very bad play by both players.

You might get lucky like that once or twice but definitely no in the long term.

All one of them needed was a higher card than a 9, which isn't exactly had to get to win the pot.
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Originally posted by michaelqian
      As a fairly inexperience poker player, I think that's very bad play by both players.

You might get lucky like that once or twice but definitely no in the long term.

All one of them needed was a higher card than a 9, which isn't exactly had to get to win the pot.
      Hey michaelqian,

Well the point of the bet was that the player who was betting was hoping to get exactly those kind of hands like T9 who had a gutshot on the flop and turn (but still beat his hand due to having T high) to fold. A tight player won't want to call a river bet with T or Queen high, and might even fold King high. Since all those hands beat 89, making them fold would be profitable.

That being said I can only agree with what Waiboy said. You want to play against bad players who play their ego. Since as long as they are doing that - and you are playing according to odds & outs and base your game on solid mathematical foundations - you will make lots of money against them.

Best regards
      SoyCD