BRM for SH players

• roswellx
      roswellx
      Bronze
      Hi,

I have tried to find some articles about it but there is none as far as I can see.

Shorthanded games are more swingy than Full Ring games.

I think, I can never play Full Ring game. It is just boring for me and gives no joy.

Could you please give some advise or share your experiences about bankroll management for shorthanded games.

I know it is actually subjective and one should feel comfortable about the limits he is playing.

I'm planning to limit myself to 40 BI. How do you manage your BI when playing SH ?
  • 22 replies
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Hi I used a 20BI approach for the lower limits:

BR of 100$ for NL5
      200$ for NL10
      500$ for NL25
      1k$ for NL50

It is a very aggressive approach and I suggest a very small number of tables (like 1 or 2) when switching limits mixed with some from the previous limits.

Once you drop 3-4 BI you goto move back down.

I think to be comfortable and out of this stage you need 25-30BI for a limit, especially starting with NL50+
    • nafar84
      nafar84
      Bronze
      I guess it depends on your experience and your level of comfort with SH and the limit(s) you're playing. I only moved up to NL25 SH when I had in excess of 45BI... and now I have 25BI for NL50 but I'm still not taking shots at it until I win a few more BI and am comfortable enough with my game.

As a general guideline I'd say that once you have 25BI for the next level then you can start taking shots, but don't move up "fulltime" yet until you get 35-40BI.
    • roswellx
      roswellx
      Bronze
      I'm even thinking to make it 50 BI, I'm playing at bwin recently. I just cannot stop playing when I know the villain is fish and won occasionaly. Gotta hold on huge downswings.... What are others thinking ? BTW I like to play BSS sometimes MSS but mostly BSS.
    • kingdippy2008
      kingdippy2008
      Bronze
      I would say have a BRM that you feel comfortable with :)

But i still advise no little than 20-25 stacks and when at higher limits maybe 30-40 minumum. But still its whatever you are comfortable with ;)

Best wishes,

-Jack
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by roswellx
      I'm even thinking to make it 50 BI, I'm playing at bwin recently. I just cannot stop playing when I know the villain is fish and won occasionaly. Gotta hold on huge downswings.... What are others thinking ? BTW I like to play BSS sometimes MSS but mostly BSS.
      50BI is way too much.

Because you need a 100BI of the lower limit to move up then, sometimes even 150BI depending on the gap.
      Now realistically you can make roughly 20-30BI a month.... think of how long it will take you to move up.

The key is taking shots... once you take shots and you feel comfortable its time for the switch.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      What is MSS? :rolleyes:
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Middle stack strategy.

You buyin with 25$ into NL50.

With SSS the decisions end on the flop. With MSS... they go onto the turn :D

No idea if thats true or not or how to play it haha.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Dragar
      Middle stack strategy.

You buyin with 25$ into NL50.

With SSS the decisions end on the flop. With MSS... they go onto the turn :D

No idea if thats true or not or how to play it haha.
      Aaaa... :D Middle stack "strategy" = donator strategy. :f_ugly:
    • roswellx
      roswellx
      Bronze
      :) i don't care about how much time it will take to climb the limits... There are many young high stakes players, how did they climb up ? I don't think it will take too much time.

There is no strategy for mid stack... I usually play midstacked against short stackers as I usually find myself in unraised pots when I play BSS against shortstackers.
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      :) i don't care about how much time it will take to climb the limits... There are many young high stakes players, how did they climb up ? I don't think it will take too much time.

There is no strategy for mid stack... I usually play midstacked against short stackers as I usually find myself in unraised pots when I play BSS against shortstackers.
      4-5 years if your good.

Dwan started out when he was 17... he is 23 now.
    • s1ndr0me
      s1ndr0me
      Bronze
      I try to keep to 4% of my roll. with a 3 buy-in stop loss. i.e. if i lose three buy-ins in a session I'll knock the poker on the head for the day.
    • roswellx
      roswellx
      Bronze

4-5 years if your good.

I don't want have the ambition to become the best player... 4-5 years OK for me. Why not ? Can you be like him in 2 years ?

Note: wow my english has never been so bad... I don't want have :s_biggrin:
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze

4-5 years if your good.

I don't want have the ambition to become the best player... 4-5 years OK for me. Why not ? Can you be like him in 2 years ?
      More like 20 years...
    • roswellx
      roswellx
      Bronze
      40 BI BRM is currently motivating me and IMO will ensure SH downswings.

• myfairmark
      myfairmark
      Bronze
      10 bi max :evil:
    • roswellx
      roswellx
      Bronze
      OMG you play 10 BI ? wow I wish I could do it too. You must be really good player and pick your spots very carefully...
    • gambleris
      gambleris
      Bronze
      It isn't about picking spots carefully, because then you will play with scared money. With 10 BI ( if you aren't joking) you must me jumping between limits every day
    • roswellx
      roswellx
      Bronze
      Well.. Dunno... 10 BI might not be impossible. With some luck and solid play it might be possible. However I can't imagine myself playing 10 BI... Maybe one day after noting all the challenges in the limits, I might give a try for more aggresive BRM.
    • myfairmark
      myfairmark
      Bronze
      lol jk, depends on what u want to achieve with poker, if ur living with ur poker income ill say 100 bi, if not u might be doing better with a more agressive brm like takin shots n moving up n down with std 25 bi.
      but mostly it depends on ur winrate and ur edge against other opponents (table select ftw).
      gl guys :)