Best Poker Weekend of My Life

• Verre
      Verre
      Bronze
      Hello Everyone,

So this past weekend was an important one for me, as one of my best friends was set to marry his long time sweetheart and I was to be a groomsman.

The weekend started on Friday when I left work and went home to play a quick 1 hour session of .10/.20 NL FR. To be quite honest I have never played FR NL seriously and I was determined to make my best effort.

After 300 hands I was about even after making one critical missclick with TPTC to call a bet of 8 dollars. Then my best hand ever hit. (Sorry I have no conversion of this yet I haven't had time but will put it in hand evaluation when I get home)

I'm in late position and am dealt 44. I manage to get in for cheap and there are 3 players (1 on the button). the flop gives me a four with 2 hearts and its checked to me. I make a 2/3 pot bet and I am called by both players. The turn comes a relative rag not completing any flush or straight draw possibilities. I bet out 2/3rds again which at this point was $5. I'm called by the BU, Reraised by the other player to $10.

Now I have a decision to make. I'm fully aware of the fact that there are no completed draw possibilities. Obviously the other caller and I are not getting away from our hands so this guy had to have some kind of made hand right? Wrong. I go all in. Both players call. The reraiser has a queen high flushdraw. The other player has TPTK if i remember correctly. A rag comes on the river and gives me a ~$48 pot. (All of this is from memory so some points will be off a bit, but this is the jist of it)

Over the next 100 hands or so I bump my profit up to about $80 dollars over the session winning some nice $12-15 dollar hands.

Saturday was a non poker day as it was the wedding. The wedding was very eventful, having me catch a groomsan fainting during the wedding and holding a man having a stroke and calling 911 at the same time. Fixing a tire in the rain on the grooms car. It was hectic :P

I got home at 4:30am Sunday morning and slept till 12pm. I went to my gfs and slept till 5:00pm. I got up and decided I'd finish my weekend with a $5.50 tourny at PStars.

This tourny had no guarentee and had a total player base of 630. I play tournaments the way I try to play cash, win big pots with my big hands and avoid everyone elses aggression. In other words I fly under the radar until I have the best of it and then come from no where and take everyones money.

After a few hours and in the cash with 80 players left, I find myself second in chips. I wake up with KK on the button, the player with the 3rd amount of chips is to my right. Two average stacks are SB and BB. It folds around to the CO who raises 3x the BB. I reraise his bet 3x, making it 9 bbs to go. To my surprise the SB pushes his average stack (about 30 BBs) and then the BB pushes his stack as well. It comes back to the CO who also pushes!? I call and laugh at what I see. CO has AKo, I have KK, SB has AJo, and BB also has AJo.

As you can see I basically have this hand locked up. There is only 1 Ace left in the deck, and if that doesn't come the AJs will need 2 of thier 3 outs to beat my hand. Also all straight and flush draws are dead, with 2 jacks, 3 kings, and 3 aces already held. The board comes rag J rag. Turn comes rag. River comes Ace. Heart Breaker that leaves me with about 1.5k chips in a tournament with an average stack size of almost 12k. I went from second place to 78th place in one hand.

I end up doubling up the next hand with TPTK. Then double up again with QQ. And from there on I never looked back. In fact I did not lose one hand I saw a flop in until the final table. I got to heads up with a 1:8 chip stack against the other player. He was a great player and enjoyed chatting with him the whole final table. First hand of heads up I figure I got to make a move with BBs being 7k and antes 700. I am dealt J7 clubs and the SB limps. I push because everytime this guy limped he would fold to any aggression. This time he decides its worth a flip and calls with 72o. My J7 holds and now i'm a 1:3.5 underdog.

I'm now SB and am dealt A7o. I put a 4x BB raise into my opponent who decides hes going to put me all in. I think for a minute and figure he probubly doesn't have a strong Ace. I call and he has QJo. J and 7 come on the flop but the turn and river do not help me. I finish second being very satisfied with my play. I cash for $420 dollars.

Over the tournament I won 71 pots. 50 of which did not go to showdown. I went to showdown 27 times and won 21 of them (78%). I know for a fact 4 of those times I went to showdown I was just checking down hands like 23o and 25o with players who would not give me a chance to fold by betting at me.

So for a weekend I played 6 hours of poker and spend a lot of time with friends and family, over $500.00 of profit is not bad. In fact its my most successful poker weekend every (including live play which kind of surprised me).

Thanks for reading my story. I hope you enjoyed it.

Edit For spelling and a funny story I forgot to tell.

After I lost the KK hand the AK Co who also lost said "There was no way I could get away from that". I said sure there was, as I had been in the exact same situation only 5 hands earlier and folded. The guy who reraised me showed me 55 and I said nice hand. The AK guy proceeded to flame me saying I made the wrong decision and it was an easy push moment. I told him I didn't like to gamble.

A few hands later AK guy puts in a 3x BB raise and is reraised all in by someone. He calls and shows AK, the other guy shoes..... 55!. 55 holds up and knocks AK guy out. Talk about irony kicking someone in the face.
  • 16 replies
    • Jackalof
      Jackalof
      Bronze
      heh, the story with AK vs 55 was really funny :)
    • roibup
      roibup
      Bronze
      Nice weekend there, mate =) Sounded like loads of fun :D
    • bobdefete
      bobdefete
      Bronze
      Congrats for the winnings and having such a nice story to tell us ! :)
      :s_thumbsup:
    • drmikeB
      drmikeB
      Bronze
      Congrats! Hopefully the pots keep coming your way.
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Grats on your win!

I dont have the patience to play many MTT's but they can be very lucrative =)
    • Verre
      Verre
      Bronze
      It continued to the best week of my life playing poker.

That 460 bucks I won on the weekend turned into 700 over the week in only ~1000 hands of NL20. Good times
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Verre
      It continued to the best week of my life playing poker.

That 460 bucks I won on the weekend turned into 700 over the week in only ~1000 hands of NL20. Good times
      hmmm maybe we should do that sweat session after all haha
    • Verre
      Verre
      Bronze
      Haha Brood, I dunno if you watched me play at all the last 7 days other than that one embarrassing hand but here is how it has been going....

(Sorry I'm at work so I cant give you exacts)

$480 from the tournament win and a few other small tourny wins.

The last 7 days I'm up $179 dollars over 1780 hands on .1/.2 FR.
      This is something crazy like 49.7 BBs/100 H. I know this cant keep up but I'm proud to say that I have minimized my loses very well. I have stacked guys 11-13 times (cant remember the exact amount) in comparison to me being stacked once and almost being stacked a second time with my 99 vs that TT.

Also I played in a house game a few days ago and walked away with a small profit of 62 bucks.

TBH I'm hoping I can hold a 5 BB/100 over 50k hands, but 49.7 for the first 3.7% of the go doesn't hurt the average.
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Haha Brood, I dunno if you watched me play at all the last 7 days other than that one embarrassing hand but here is how it has been going....

(Sorry I'm at work so I cant give you exacts)

$480 from the tournament win and a few other small tourny wins.

The last 7 days I'm up $179 dollars over 1780 hands on .1/.2 FR.
      This is something crazy like 49.7 BBs/100 H. I know this cant keep up but I'm proud to say that I have minimized my loses very well. I have stacked guys 11-13 times (cant remember the exact amount) in comparison to me being stacked once and almost being stacked a second time with my 99 vs that TT.

Also I played in a house game a few days ago and walked away with a small profit of 62 bucks.

TBH I'm hoping I can hold a 5 BB/100 over 50k hands, but 49.7 for the first 3.7% of the go doesn't hurt the average.
      What are your requisites for going to NL50 at this point?
    • Verre
      Verre
      Bronze
      Going to wait for 1k Online Bankroll. I literally just started playing online NL FR. I dabbled in other stuff online because i always played my NL live. Online play was just me messing around on SnGs for fun but I decided I'd get a bit more serious.

On the downside I had my first big downday. Down 25 bucks (which is my stop limit). I made some pretty bad plays a now that I look back on it I probubly shouldn't have been playing yesterday at all. It was mothers day and my mind was on other things. Live and Learn, BB/100 is still looking good overall and my profit is still nice.

As for the bankroll, and moving up, I basically need 500 profit on NL20 to move up to NL50. My live bankroll is about 3k now that I deposited 500 of it onto mansion.
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      I dont feel Im ready to go to NL50, regulars seem to have an edge on me at NL20. Ive noticed some ppl from NL50 com to nL20 sometimes.
    • Verre
      Verre
      Bronze
      Right now I'm taking a break for a few days before I go on a real poker grindfest. I'm just messing around with omaha on FTP with money I had left over there.

It was ment to be relaxing to wet my drive for NL FR and then I joined a heads up 64 player winner take all 675 FTP satallite to FTOPS #18. I started off winning the first match, then the second, then the third, and before I knew it i had won 5 matches and was heads up for $216 dollars.

This guy was the first guy I came up against with skill matching my own, which is incredibly sad because this is the second day I have played Omaha EVER. We had it off for about 30 minutes and where even. The blinds where now incredibly big as it was a super turbo 3 minute blind game. I am dealt 8897 and at this point my opponent is raising 3bbs every single preflop. Once again he does it again and I 3 bet his raise to 900. He calls and the flop comes low straight draw for me. He checks and I know he has nothing, I put him all in and after some time he calls with only a gutshot. Of course the turn completes him and boom, I'm rewarded with 0. Needless to say I shut my computer, screamed and yelled at how bad his play was. I decided I couldn't play anymore poker since I'd be on massive tilt.

Now that I look back on it though the domination of my opponents was pretty impressive. At no point before this was I ever in danger of getting knocked out in all 6 heads up matches. Later in the night I decided to go try some Heads up SnGs and I went 4-1, not bad.

It seems playing omaha helps me read the board better, looking for all the possiblities of my opponents hands much quicker. I noticed previously that when I played 5 card draw it did the same thing for my ability to judge the value of my hands.

Anyways the real grind starts in a few days, maybe I should start a blog?
    • timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      Saturday was a non poker day as it was the wedding. The wedding was very eventful, having me catch a groomsan fainting during the wedding and holding a man having a stroke and calling 911 at the same time. Fixing a tire in the rain on the grooms car. It was hectic :P
      Movie material right there :)
    • Verre
      Verre
      Bronze
      Lol my whole life is movie material. Crazy up and down moments. Finishing my first year of my mechanics apprenticeship, jump in my car to drive home and I get shammed into going through a green light and my mechanics career is over. It all starts from there, def some good times though. I wouldn't trade it for the world.
    • krokix
      krokix
      Bronze
      VERY NICE HISTORY MATE.I HAVE ALSO A NICE STORY FOR MY WEEKEND.I WON IN PARTYPOKER WSOP FREEROLL A TICKET FOR THE 2$ REBUY EVENT.HOWEVER MY ACCOUNT WAS DEAD AND I DIDNT HAVE MONEY TO REBUY.I BEGAN PLAYING THE TOURNAMENT AND I MANAGED TO FINISH IN SECOND PLACE WITHOUT REBUY AND WIN A 70$ TICKET FOR THE WSOP QUALIFIER.ALL VERY NICE TILL NOW.I STARTED PLAYING THE 70$ AND I MADE THE FINAL TABLE EASY.FINALLY WE WERE 7 PLAYERS PLAYING IN THE FINAL TABLE FOR ABOUT 1 HOUR AND I WAS HOLDING MY POSITION.THE PRIZES WERE 2TICKET FOR THE WSOP 640$ FINAL AND 3 MONEY PLACES(3,4,5).THE GUY IN SEVENTH PLACE FINALLY LOST AND WE WERE STILL SIX IN.THE PLAYER ON MY RIGHT HAD A BAD BEAT AND IN THE NEXT HAND TRIED STEALING THE BLINDS.HOWEVER I EAS HOLDING JJ.I WENT ALL IN AND HE CALLED MY BET.HE WAS HOLDING A9!!THE FLOP CAME AND NOTHING HAPPENED WITH 2,6,7.THE TURN WAS 4 AND I WAS A 96% TO 4% IN FRONT HOWEVER THIS RIVER WAS BAD FOR ME AND THE A CAME AND AFTER 7HOURS OF CONTINOUOUS POKER I BECAME THA BUBBLE BOY.MY FILLINGS WERE MIXED BUT IT WAS FINE DREAMING LAS VEGAS.....
    • Verre
      Verre
      Bronze
      Haha crazy caps man. If i was you once it got to the rebuy tourny I woulda taken the Tourny money or whatever PP gives you and left it at that because in a R+A someone who doesn't do either has a miniscule chance of even placing. Good story though.