$6.01
      Hero:
      $19.20
      MP3:
      $13.49
      BU:
      $15.93

0.1/0.2 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 4:spade: , 4:club:
      Hero calls $0.20, MP2 folds, MP3 raises to $0.60, CO folds, BU calls $0.60, SB calls $0.50, BB folds, Hero calls $0.40.

Flop: ($2.60) 4:heart: , 6:diamond: , J:heart: (4 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $2.00, MP3 calls $2.00, BU calls $2.00, SB folds.

Turn: ($8.60) Q:spade: (3 players)
      Hero bets $5.00, MP3 raises to $10.00, BU calls $10.00, Hero raises to $16.60 (All-In), MP3 raises to $10.89 (All-In), BU raises to $13.33 (All-In).

River: ($49.42) 2:spade: (1 players)

Final Pot: $49.42

Hello everyone.

Here is a hand I have thought about a lot. The one downside to the hand was preflop odds to call. With my position it may have even been better for me to fold this preflop. What are you opinions on this?

Now here is my thought process.

Preflop: I limped because there was some Aggro players near the button and they where raising up to 6x the bb without any preflop limpers. I limped and when I was raised I was going to fold, but then the BU and SB call. I figured if I hit my set I would be paid off.

Flop: A near perfect flop other than the fact that it had 2 hearts and a weak one gap connectors. I figure I will make a 2/3s bet to protect my hand. Surprisingly I get 2 callers and I await the turn.

Turn: The Q :spade: is a beautiful card for me. I'm hoping someone hit it and will put more money into the pot. Once again it may have given someone another straight draw plus there is still the 2 :heart: out there. I'm going to make another 2/3 Pot protection bet.

MP3 doubles my raise and makes it $10 to go for the BU. The BU just calls and I am left with a decision. The only danger I am in right now is an overset or the draws. But why would these two players be betting like this if they didn't have something substancial. I figure draws may be out the window now and I may be facing top two pair or TPTK. I decide my best play is to push all in. Both players call.

River: 2 :spade: . I wont tell you what the other two players had.
  • 8 replies
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      If u know for a fact that a certain player to the left of u will raise with almost any 2 then I think it is correct to open limp small-med pockets and mine for sets. However at the same time it's always a good idea to know if the player will stack off against u or not postflop after u made ur set on a dry board. For example, think if u would still be able to get ur money in the pot if the board was same as urs only each card a different suit.

As played I like ur line a lot and all I can add to that is NH, WP.
    • Verre
      Verre
      Silver
      Thanks for the comments.

I actually considered check raising after the turn knowing that the MP3 was ultra aggressive. I was still a bit scared with 2 players in the hand and the flush draw which is why I protection bet.

The other reason for the protection bet was because BU was relatively unknown to me. He could have had anything. In fact I put him on a better hand than ultra aggressive MP3.
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      While ur points are valid u also have to consider ur own hand strenght and the fact that ur set isn't really obvious. For all u know the villain(s) could be putting u on a draw or some TP type hand. Sometimes a high aggression value of the villain is best exploited by betting into them and sometimes it's best not to try to slowplay the villain at all. This is deffinately the type of board I would donkbet 95% of the time with a strong made hand.
    • Verre
      Verre
      Silver
      Yeah, aside from that I wanted as much money in the pot when I was certain I had the best of it.

This also happened to be my first day of online NL cash play. Was a good start. 4 Green days in a row just playing solid BSS.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Verre

Preflop: I limped because there was some Aggro players near the button and they where raising up to 6x the bb without any preflop limpers. I limped and when I was raised I was going to fold, but then the BU and SB call. I figured if I hit my set I would be paid off.

Limping with small pp and fold to raise can´t really be +ev.
      I´d prefer fold small pp, if players are aggro, postflop is fine.
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Kaitz20

Limping with small pp and fold to raise can´t really be +ev.
      I´d prefer fold small pp, if players are aggro, postflop is fine.
      But hero would not fold, he would call to see if he makes a set on the flop and try to exploit the villains aggression even further to make the villain pot commited? Would u rather just fold ur hand? What would u reduce ur range to against such a villain who would have position on hero?
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      limp/call line is easy to exploit, but I quoted, what hero posted- when someone was going to raise 6bb- he was going to limp/fold.
      So I rather like raising or just folding pf.
    • Verre
      Verre
      Silver
      Thanks for the input Kaitz.

To be honest his maniac play had me quite baffled. He was not a winning player from the few hundred hands I had seen him play, but he could reraise with any 2.

One of the reasons I decided against raising was that not only was I out of position, but if more players came into the pot and I hit the flop there would be a lot more money to be taken for a cheaper price. If I push everyone but the aggro out then I will be heads up with a substancial investment and a big chance of no set. If I push everyone out I win blinds but isn't the real value in small pocket pairs the possibility of scoring big with a hidden set?