Limping with SSS

• ShadowOfLight1337
      ShadowOfLight1337
      Bronze
      I've currently watched some SSS video's and sometimes I see people limping in with small pp and some marginal aces... Usually I never limp while using the SSS, either raise or fold.

Is this correct?
  • 11 replies
    • 10d2bluff
      10d2bluff
      Bronze
      playing sss .25/ .50c NL 10 handed. limps with AA and KK UTG have worked quite well since there is a possibility of late raises. More often if i make the standard 4 x bb raise with big pairs from UTG I very rarely get action

although its never nice getting 2-3 callers going into a 4-way flop with your big pair...so I really think it depends on the players and table you are at I will limp when there is an aggressive blind stealer to act behind me but will raise with those big pairs from UTG 3/5 times

as for limping with small pairs I havnt really deviated from the sss. As much as i would like to call for set equity I feel trying to hit 2 outers is losing u money in the long run. although on a few occasions if Im getting better than 3-1 I will call from LP and the blinds with small pairs or suited Ax

I guess u do take a risk when u limp with AA KK I was in the BB with Q 2 o and BU limps with KK I flop a trashy 2 pair on a harmless flop and BU losses $9 instead of winning the SB and BB
    • WildBeans
      WildBeans
      Bronze
      It's fine to only fold or raise, but then you lose out on some value with some of the hands - for example 66 on the button with 3 limpers is a fold according to the standard sss, but then you lose out on the potential value of hitting a set with 5 others in the hand. This is however more advanced play and requires good post flop skills - you can read the advanced SSS preflop play article to see more.
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      No way is a thinking tag who has stats and has recognised the tell-tales of a SSS (small stack with tight VPIP = PFR) going to not smell a rat when you just-call AA from EP...
    • WildBeans
      WildBeans
      Bronze
      Originally posted by 10d2bluff
      playing sss .25/ .50c NL 10 handed. limps with AA and KK UTG have worked quite well since there is a possibility of late raises. More often if i make the standard 4 x bb raise with big pairs from UTG I very rarely get action

You can adjust to the specific game, but I don't suggest limping premium hands, and I don't suggest limping in early position. The advanced SSS pf play (limping certain valuable hands) is from late position and with the presence of a number of limpers depending on your hand for example,(suited aces need more limpers than a pocket pair)
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ShadowOfLight1337
      I've currently watched some SSS video's and sometimes I see people limping in with small pp and some marginal aces... Usually I never limp while using the SSS, either raise or fold.

Is this correct?
      In the gold section there's an sss article "advanced pre-flop play" and there's explained why and when you can limp or complete with low PPs, SCs or suited A-rags. I would recommend you to wait till you hit gold and you will get good material to learn about limping and completing.

About openlimping monsters or any other hand, just don't do it, specially not in the low limits where players tend to play passive rather than betting out themselves.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Here you shoul dnever limp aces UTG:

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.50(BB) IPoker
      SB ($60.42)
      BB ($12.76)
      UTG ($10)
      UTG+1 ($34.97)
      UTG+2 ($47.50)
      MP1 ($50.72)
      Hero ($9.25)
      MP3 ($50)
      CO ($60.88)
      BTN ($9.25)

Dealt to Hero Q:diamond: 4:spade:

UTG calls $0.50, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, BTN calls $0.50, SB calls $0.25, check,

FLOP ($2) 3:spade: 4:club: 3:heart:

check, check, UTG bets $1, BTN folds, SB folds, BB raises to $2, UTG calls $1,

TURN ($6) 3:spade: 4:club: 3:heart: 2:heart:

BB bets $10.26 (AI), UTG calls $7.50 (AI),

RIVER ($21) 3:spade: 4:club: 3:heart: 2:heart: T:spade:

BB shows 3:club: 7:club:
      (Flop 89.6%, Turn 86.4%)

UTG shows A:spade: A:diamond:
      (Flop 10.4%, Turn 13.6%)

BB wins $19.95
    • tonnek
      tonnek
      Bronze
      I made a mistake limping aces from UTG1 and someone beat me with Q3 or something like that. I guess I will stick to the basic strategy and raise, I guess it is better to get the blinds that loose whole stack to some lucky hands :)

Or what you think?

But I made the same observation, I do get very little action when I raise a monster from UTG
    • ShadowOfLight1337
      ShadowOfLight1337
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tonnek
      But I made the same observation, I do get very little action when I raise a monster from UTG
      Depends on the table, whether it's very loose or tight.
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      Limp-calling can be reasonable but only if you limp other hands.

SSS really doesnt ever limp so meh.

Limp-raise is as good as turning your hand over. Ive seen really horrible players limp-raise with AK, or some small stackers do it occasionally with small pockets... but nearly always its AA, sometimes KK.

Ive got notes on players who only ever minraise with KK+ and always limp-minraise it in EP. If they limp in EP its time to fold.
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      You can always raise less according to the table.... Doesn't HAVE to be 4BB's.... 3.5BB, 3BB, 2.5BB, min raise?

Lots more options than limping which is just asking for trouble....
    • Haficek77
      Haficek77
      Bronze
      Never limp with SSS, remember what Jesus says.