Anyone play SSS for a living, or is it a stepping stone?

• ShinShya
      ShinShya
      Bronze
      Just curious if anyone plays SSS for a living, or is SSS just a stepping stone? By for a living, I mean, having at least a few hundred thousand hands to judge off of :D

If so,

What limit?

How many BB/100 do you make?

How many hands do you play per month and approx how much rake comes with that?

Somehow I feel that SSS is just a stepping stone to bigger things, maybe I'm wrong?
  • 36 replies
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      I think theres ppl playing highish limits of SSS, but I'll wait for them to post
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      Playing SSS full time would suck so badly
    • ShinShya
      ShinShya
      Bronze
      Originally posted by LemOn36
      Could you elaborate please?
    • SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      Wouldn't that only be possible if you played something like NL5/10?
      You may as well play BSS on a smaller limit if you ask me.
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by ShinShya
      Could you elaborate please?
      SSS is maybe nice for the profits, but its inevitably boring to play it 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. I think repetitive work in a factory or brainless database input typing are at the same level and it gets frustrating after few months.

SSS also hardly makes you a better poker player so you are spending huge volumes and you lose the WAY more rapid learning curve you get playing SH BSS or even HU. Its practically sacrificing potentially earned skills for profits, and the same skill would take you up to much higher stakes and also higher profits in a long term.

Sure, playing SSS in just lets say 30% may be sustainable, but I doubt playing it full time in a long term is a good idea.
    • RockEye
      RockEye
      Bronze
      Why not?! If you master SSS and play on limits like NL100 - NL1000 and your daily profit for 1-2 hrs of multitabling is at least 100$ per day, it's more then you make at full time (8-12 hrs a day) very good payed job.

Go and read Gerv's blog, he posts his daily balance every day and you'll se what i am talking about.
      With SSS you limit your downswing and strategy really works fine, but only few ppl have the patience for grinding. I do have the patience, because if i someday earn more with poker then at work its ok for me.

Of course you can boost your profit with BSS but you can boost your loses too with it.
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Originally posted by RockEye

Of course you can boost your profit with BSS but you can boost your loses too with it.
      Only if u stop studying the game imo. Or break BRM. Or play intoxicated. Etc
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      http://ministacker.de.vu/

Nl600++ SSS players , have fun reading (in german) :D
    • adr0001
      adr0001
      Bronze
      but its inevitably boring to play it 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. I think repetitive work in a factory or brainless database input typing are at the same level and it gets frustrating after few months.
      You're right, but this is available for every type of poker. At least for me. I get bored after playing more than 2 hours. And I don't play SSS.
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      Weird. I get tired, not bored.

Maybe try opening up ;)
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Originally posted by adr0001
      but its inevitably boring to play it 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. I think repetitive work in a factory or brainless database input typing are at the same level and it gets frustrating after few months.
      You're right, but this is available for every type of poker. At least for me. I get bored after playing more than 2 hours. And I don't play SSS.
      I used to get bored, but when you start studying the game a bit more and it gets easier to play, you should like playing more and more.
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      making $50/h playing a game should be fun enough.
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      Its not just about the money, at least not for me :/

And I make $20/hour playing NL25, when you got an edge over the limit it much easily exploitable with BSS
    • themagpiespg
      themagpiespg
      Bronze
      Its not just about the money, at least not for me :/

And I make $20/hour playing NL25, when you got an edge over the limit it much easily exploitable with BSS
      Hi how many tables do u play. I'm playing nl 20 at mo bss on 2-3 tables as I've just moved to this level and making about $25 a day profit at the mo.

PS I find sss very slow and a bit frustrating at times.
    • mishuq
      mishuq
      Bronze
      Originally posted by themagpiespg

PS I find sss very slow and a bit frustrating at times.
      how do you find loosing a full stack because of a moron calling you down with trash and hitting a better hand on the river ?

imo both sss and bss players have strong reasons for their choice of play type.
      I can play sss about 5-6 hours / day, 12+ tables and never get bored of it. one reason for this is that I always try to improve my game, find leaks and implement stuff I see in the articles/videos. sss has fewer articles, coachings and videos than bss (ofc, this is because this strategy is more about maths and preflop play) and this persuades me to search more and more ways to maximize my win rate and climb higher through the limits.

depending on your country's average salary, I think the limits where you cand start playing for a living are somewhere in between NL50 (of course you would play more than 3-4 hours/day) and NL200.
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      probably $50 was way off, what's the hourly rate of a nl400 sss player? winning 1bb/100 hands something like 800h/hour + rakeback, something like $80 ?(
    • kukkiwonBG
      kukkiwonBG
      Bronze
      Originally posted by alejandrosh
      800h/hour(
      In what universe
      you can do this kind of hands/hour playing 3-4 sites and only in good hours.
      14-16 tableing is hard when there is not more than 15 tables on all sites and you need to sit out when you have more than 25bb
    • kukkiwonBG
      kukkiwonBG
      Bronze
      Don't forget that if you play all tables no matter what you will have even lower WR, even break even if there is too many nits on the tables.
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      yes probably, it's necesary to mix sites or limits or sites and limits to have enough tables.

and the WR , suppose the player is the king of shortstacks :P