CO calls [$6]
      Hero calls [$6]
      ** Dealing Turn ** [ 3h ]
      Hero checks
      MP3 bets [$9]
      CO is all-In [$8.61]
      Hero folds
      ** Dealing River ** [ 8d ]
      MP3 shows [ Ah, Kc ]two pairs, Eights and Threes.
      CO shows [ 5s, 5c ]two pairs, Eights and Fives.
      MP3 wins $0.39 from side pot #1 with two pairs, Eights and Threes.
      CO wins $43.22 from the main pot with two pairs, Eights and Fives.

This is a hand that i obviously played pretty bad and it was pretty disturbing since as it was shown afterwards i had the best hand and i lost a pretty decent pot.

Some notes :
      I was experimenting a bit and i decided not to leave the table after my stack became large enough. As a result though i was playing pretty cautious and almost never raised pre flop , as you can see from this hand , where i had pocket 10s.
      I noted MP3 as being a pretty aggressive player who was raising very often pre-flop and pushing a lot after the flop.

I have some trouble against players who are very aggressive , since with the SSS you are supposed to fold most of the times that opponent shows strength unless you have a really good hand.
      In this case the flop was good for me and i called the bet , but on the turn , he raises his bet even more , and the CO calls it. At this point i still had an overpair but there were 2 opponents already who would see the river card. So i was afraid of maybe a bigger overpair than mine by the MP3 , or a set maybe by either of them. I couldnt tell if he was bluffing or if he was trying to get my whole stack by the river , so i decided to just fold there. I suppose that is one problem that i wouldnt have if i had stuck to the SSS and only had 10$ :D .
      Any suggestions? (BTW i tried to convert the hand on a site but it was messing up bad so i manually replaced nicknames with table positions)
  • 3 replies
    • Alaton
      Alaton
      Black
      As you see playing mediumstack has some disadvantages
      Calling TT utg+1 is recommend play as a big stack, however after the raise you should only call for "set value" (u hope to flop a third ten)
      In the SHC for NL big-stack it says to only call when your opponents and your stack exceeds 15*"amount to call", which wasn't the case here.
      You invest 2,5$ while having 31$ left, which is 12,5*"amount to call"

But it's close and you sayed he was pretty aggressive, so the call might be ok because your chance of getting paid out increases with aggressive opponents.

On the flop you have 2 options imo:

1) lead out with a bet of 4-6$

advantages:
      - You get information about your opponents hand.
      If you get raised, you can pretty sure to be up against a higher pair or a set.
      So you only lose 4-6$ and can release the hand quite easily.
      - You protect against overcards and maybe some weird straightdraw

disadvantages:
      - You don't get any value from hands like AT+ KT+

2) check with the intention to raise a continuationbet from your opponent

advantages:
      - You get a little value out of AT+ KT+
      - You can first look at his betsize to judge if you are in front or not
      - If he pushes allin you have a fold

disadvantages:
      - If you are behind you lose more money then you would by leading out
      - Since you are medium-stacked the fold to a push from your opponent is pretty though because you won't have much chips left

I prefer to choose the first option, which gives you a clear idea of where you are at.
      Calling is the worst play here imo.

The turn is a really hard decision, and I can't answer this in general without knowing the players. It is indeed a pretty hard call there.
      This is the reason why you want to know how much your hand is worth, do this by raising or leading out!
    • undercover82
      undercover82
      Bronze
      thx for the insight , its really appreciated.
      I tend to be very cautious vs overagressive players because they usually reraise my raise (bluffing possibly). Its a lot easier to take the risk with short stack i guess than when i have an average stack.
    • Alaton
      Alaton
      Black
      Originally posted by undercover82
      Its a lot easier to take the risk with short stack i guess than when i have an average stack
      One of the reasons why Shortstacked play is perfect for beginners, it doesn't leave you with difficult decisions!