silly Q about hand-rankings

• pink3lephants
      pink3lephants
      Basic
      hello all : )

This is my first post, so it'll have to serve as my intro too : )

but first! my Q...

I am doing the basic lessons, and have gotten stuck on a small matter - I can't get around it...can someone please help?

on this page http://www.pokerstrategy.com/quiz/244/6/ it talks about the hand-rankings.

The part i don't understand is the bit in *bold*

Four of a kind
      A four of a kind is four cards of the same rank, e.g. four Kings. If two players have four of a kind, then the one with the highest four of a kind wins. *If they have the same*, then the player with the highest fifth card wins, since a poker hand is always composed of five cards.

Now, i think I understand how 2 players can have the same 3ofaKind (like they each got a J, and there's 2 Js in the community cards)...but how can they have the same 4 of a kind? if there are 3 Js on the table, then the guy with the 4th J is going to win that hand, and if there are 2 Js on the table, then someone who gets a 4ofaKind has to have the other two Js...so how can 2 players end up having the same 4ofa kind.

does this mean simply that if there are 4 Js in the community cards itself, then the winner is chosen using their highest card? or is it something more mysterious...that I am missing : (

I would appreciate if someone could clear this up for me...?

Nice to meet you btw!!! :D
  • 4 replies
    • pink3lephants
      pink3lephants
      Basic
      hm...

ok i will assume the explanation is the high-card one, where all 4cards are in the community cards

thx for looking :P
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pink3lephants
      hm...

ok i will assume the explanation is the high-card one, where all 4cards are in the community cards

thx for looking :P
      Well you figured it out on your own. :) Yeah, let's say i hold AK, you hold KK. flop comes 333 at this point you are ahead as you have full house KK333, turn comes 3 and now i'm ahead because i hold stronger five cards hand 3333A vs yours 3333K. now river comes A and we split the pot because we both hold the same hand now 3333A.
      Welcome to pokerstrategy btw. ;)
    • pink3lephants
      pink3lephants
      Basic

Welcome to pokerstrategy btw. ;)
      aww thx : )

awesome explanation btw, i am slooowly getting to the Quiz stage lol

ooh i want to change my screen-name too, do you know how to do this? I mean the name that shows up here on the forum etc.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Unfortunately there is no way to change you SN.
      I don't like mine too, but meh, it's just a SN. :)