This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

silly Q about hand-rankings

• pink3lephants
      pink3lephants
      Basic
      hello all : )

This is my first post, so it'll have to serve as my intro too : )

but first! my Q...

I am doing the basic lessons, and have gotten stuck on a small matter - I can't get around it...can someone please help?

on this page http://www.pokerstrategy.com/quiz/244/6/ it talks about the hand-rankings.

The part i don't understand is the bit in *bold*

Four of a kind
      A four of a kind is four cards of the same rank, e.g. four Kings. If two players have four of a kind, then the one with the highest four of a kind wins. *If they have the same*, then the player with the highest fifth card wins, since a poker hand is always composed of five cards.

Now, i think I understand how 2 players can have the same 3ofaKind (like they each got a J, and there's 2 Js in the community cards)...but how can they have the same 4 of a kind? if there are 3 Js on the table, then the guy with the 4th J is going to win that hand, and if there are 2 Js on the table, then someone who gets a 4ofaKind has to have the other two Js...so how can 2 players end up having the same 4ofa kind.

does this mean simply that if there are 4 Js in the community cards itself, then the winner is chosen using their highest card? or is it something more mysterious...that I am missing : (

I would appreciate if someone could clear this up for me...?

Nice to meet you btw!!! :D
  • 4 replies
    • pink3lephants
      pink3lephants
      Basic
      hm...

ok i will assume the explanation is the high-card one, where all 4cards are in the community cards

thx for looking :P
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pink3lephants
      hm...

ok i will assume the explanation is the high-card one, where all 4cards are in the community cards

thx for looking :P
      Well you figured it out on your own. :) Yeah, let's say i hold AK, you hold KK. flop comes 333 at this point you are ahead as you have full house KK333, turn comes 3 and now i'm ahead because i hold stronger five cards hand 3333A vs yours 3333K. now river comes A and we split the pot because we both hold the same hand now 3333A.
      Welcome to pokerstrategy btw. ;)
    • pink3lephants
      pink3lephants
      Basic

Welcome to pokerstrategy btw. ;)
      aww thx : )

awesome explanation btw, i am slooowly getting to the Quiz stage lol

ooh i want to change my screen-name too, do you know how to do this? I mean the name that shows up here on the forum etc.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Unfortunately there is no way to change you SN.
      I don't like mine too, but meh, it's just a SN. :)