Equity

• ShadowOfLight1337
      ShadowOfLight1337
      Bronze
      I looked it up in the glossary, but I still don't quite understand it.

Looks pretty confusing, but so did pot odds and implied odds when I first learned about them.

Can anyone please somehow explain the basic principle on what really is equity?
  • 13 replies
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      I understand its your expected chance of winning the pot. Be it by having a better hand than your opponent, making a better hand on later streets or by making him fold with FE.
    • extpan
      extpan
      Bronze
      you have some nice video which are dealing with equity...i think from xarry is the best:)
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Equity tells you what are your chances to win a hand.

For example if your equity is 55% you will win this hand with probability of 55% or 55 out of 100 cases on average.

And consequentially your share of the pot in the long term will be 55%, what your equity for winning the hand is. Meaning you will win 55% of the pot in the long run and because you and your opponent contributed 50% each to the pot you will win 5% from your opponent in the long run.

I hope this makes it a bit clearer. :f_grin:
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by burek2000

For example if your equity is 55% you will win this hand with probability of 55% or 55 out of 100 cases on average.

And consequentially your share of the pot in the long term will be 55%, what your equity for winning the hand is. Meaning you will win 55% of the pot in the long run and because you and your opponent contributed 50% each to the pot you will win 5% from your opponent in the long run.

• ShadowOfLight1337
      ShadowOfLight1337
      Bronze
      So... Simply this is the chance of winning a showdown.

One last question.

Fold equity is the probability of your opponent (or you) folding?
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ShadowOfLight1337
      So... Simply this is the chance of winning a showdown.
      Basically yes.

Fold equity is the probability of your opponent (or you) folding?

Yes, fold equity tells you what's the probability of your opponent folding his hand to your bet.
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      Originally posted by TheBrood
      I understand its your expected chance of winning the pot. Be it by having a better hand than your opponent, making a better hand on later streets or by making him fold with FE.
      well that's not really what equity is. equity is the percentage/part of the pot in $ that belongs to you on average ( at a certain point in the hand, againt a certain range, etc.)

this of course depends on the chance of winning, drawing and losing, be it by winning the SD or making villain fold
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black

the share of the pot is the equity. the other thing is the win %.
    • ShadowOfLight1337
      ShadowOfLight1337
      Bronze
      Again, the last 2 posts have made me confused.

Equity is the fraction of the pot you're going to get in the long run.

For example, if you have a 70% chance of winning a 100$ pot, your equity will be 70$?
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      Originally posted by ShadowOfLight1337
      Again, the last 2 posts have made me confused.

Equity is the fraction of the pot you're going to get in the long run.

For example, if you have a 70% chance of winning a 100$ pot, your equity will be 70$?
      yes
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze

I must say I disagree.

Equity tells you what would be your chances of winning a showdown at certain point in the hand and in relation to your winning chance you can say what share of the pot would you win in the long term, therefore winning is directly related to your share of the pot. So, if your equity on the flop is 70% and the pot is 100$, then you will get 70$ of the 100$ pot on average if you go to showdown on this flop.

Equity and Fold equity have more or less nothing in common, except they're both needed when you calculate expected value.
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black

I must say I disagree.

Equity tells you what would be your chances of winning a showdown at certain point in the hand and in relation to your winning chance you can say what share of the pot would you win in the long term, therefore winning is directly related to your share of the pot. So, if your equity on the flop is 70% and the pot is 100$, then you will get 70$ of the 100$ pot on average if you go to showdown on this flop.

Equity and Fold equity have more or less nothing in common, except they're both needed when you calculate expected value.
      no, that's simply not how the word 'equity' is used.
    • luitzen
      luitzen
      Bronze
      Equity or expected value is not only used in poker, it's a mathematical term. Expected value is maybe a little better to understand. Expected value is the total result you would get for an action when you would (be able to) repeat that action for infinity divided by the amount of times you have executed that action. In other words it's probability times win. If you for example have a 33% chance to win 10, your expected value or equity is 3,33. Taking costs of taking that action and other poker related stuff such as fold equity into consideration is only a further enhancement of this statistical model. It's plain secondary school maths.

Poker is all about equity. The better you're able to calculate your action's equity, the more profitable you'll be as a poker player.