6Ts against QQ, or how I sucked out on a calling station :)

• dextart
      dextart
      Bronze
      I want to share a very funy hand, which, despite the outcome, I still consider to have been played +EV. Please challenge that, if you think otherwise :)

The story goes so that I found myself at a table with what looked like an extreme fish. He or she was deep-stacked at almost 250BB, so has obviously sucked-out wildly on fellow less fortunate players in the recent past at the table, and probably must have been feeling godlike by the time I sat just to the right of it. Anyway, I decided I to try to play more hands with this guy, if opportunity arises, and not long after I faced myself on the BB, having position on him being UTG. Not a perfect spot OOP, and the 6Ts I collected was not perfect either. But...

I had earlier collected some 41 hands on this guy, and with my huge database that also told a story of its own. Anyways, he had VPIP of 88%, PFR of 15%, ATS of 10%, AF 3.8, Cbet 100%, fold to Cbet 20%, WTS 37%, and from the little information I had looked like super aggresive both before and after the flop, check-raising every second hand and so on :)

I didn't see him raising previously, so his 2BB raise from UTG left me wondering if he was slowplaying a monster, making a typical raise, pushed the wrong button, or was doing any other of his random plays. At any rate, I decided to put him on a 40%+ hand range on that one, and after everyone folded (is this NL100 or whut???), 3.5:1 pot odds were obviously good enough for me to call, even out of position.

Flop came rainbow J73, leaving me with two undercards as well as backdoor straight and flush draws, a monster hand by all means :D However, after I checked and he Cbet 1BB, giving me pot odds of 4.5:1, I figured my hand was still good (Equilator later confirmed that I was right), and I had enough equity to call. However, seeing his miniraise + extremely small Cbet as a sign of weakness (I thought he would probably check a monster here), I decided to check/raise him, pretending to have a strong made hand (or semibluffing a straight draw). Only to find myself re-reraised, which I called again due to the pot odds :)

Turn cometh the 8, I improved to the gutshot :) However, as a potential straight lay there, I decided to keep my image of having made it for real (or protecting against a draw with my made hand) and pushed.

The rest is history. River brought the 9, and I sucked out on his QQ. I nearly fell off my chair when the cards were revealed, for having played my first hand with the apparently worst fish I've yet to witness, I saw him holding QQ, and me beating him with 6Ts :P Who's the fish now? :f_biggrin:

Anyway, I would like to hear if you agree that my play wasn't really that bad:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (6 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

CO ($74.30)
      Button ($50)
      SB ($78.40)
      Hero (BB) ($21.50)
      UTG ($245.90)
      MP ($58.55)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6, 10
      UTG bets $2, 4 folds, Hero calls $1

Flop: ($4.50) 7, J, 3 (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG bets $1, Hero raises to $4, UTG raises to $7, Hero calls $3

Turn: ($18.50) 8 (2 players)
      Hero bets $12.50 (All-In), UTG calls $12.50

River: ($43.50) 9 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $43.50 | Rake: $2.10
      Main pot: $43.50 between Hero and UTG, won by Hero

Results:
      Hero had 6, 10 (straight, Jack high).
      UTG mucked Q, Q (one pair, Queens).
      Outcome: Hero won $41.40 :f_cool:
  • 13 replies
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      I feel a bit sick.

Opponent is bad.. but please.. wtf? This is not something to be proud off at all.

Pushing on a gutshot from turn to river to outbluff.. someone who will never be outbluffed since he is a fish....
    • SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      Whose the fish in this situation? I mean, he had an overpair, and you kept raising with a double gut shot straight draw.
    • Sai7
      Sai7
      Bronze
      haha thats horrible
      you yourself call him a calling station and then you push a gutshot hahaha
      whole hand was indeed horrible.
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Dragar
      I feel a bit sick.

Opponent is bad.. but please.. wtf? This is not something to be proud off at all.

Pushing on a gutshot from turn to river to outbluff.. someone who will never be outbluffed since he is a fish....
      +1
    • GunFlavoured
      GunFlavoured
      Bronze
      Every part of that hand was horrible! Villian is not folding anything to your push on the turn. Not sure I would be sharing that hand with everyone either.
    • MrPavlos
      MrPavlos
      Global
      This hand is kinda extreme,BUT i am with u on the part that ur after this guy.I many times do it myself when i spot someone who plays really extremelly,then each time he raises or limps and table folds i am in even if i hold 32o.But this is only when i spot an extreme fish...

Bad play good outcome

Peace

Actually the only part i dont agree is the turn move.4 outs not really good for me
    • GunFlavoured
      GunFlavoured
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MrPavlos
      This hand is kinda extreme,BUT i am with u on the part that ur after this guy.I many times do it myself when i spot someone who plays really extremelly,then each time he raises or limps and table folds i am in even if i hold 32o.But this is only when i spot an extreme fish...

Bad play good outcome

Peace

Actually the only part i dont agree is the turn move.4 outs not really good for me
      Tilt?
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
    • StusMagic
      StusMagic
      Bronze
      your suckout woulda be even better if you had same deep stack like him :D
    • dextart
      dextart
      Bronze
      I come to believe that some of you guys come to forget that I had no way of knowing he had an overpair (which is something like 1/30 of the range he could be playing that way), + he's not even really a calling station, but rather an overly aggresive fish. As such, he's both able to make sophisticated plays with air AND fold to a raise eventually. And, sometimes these guys seem to give much more credit to a push than a normal raise, even given the same odds, probably thinking something along the line of "this guy must really have something if he's able to risk all his money with it". Of course, it's hard to classify the way fish would play, but at least that's my experience - fish tend to fold air to pushes, but can continue with air otherwise.

Now think about the odds that this guy hit at least top pair, which in my opinion would be the only hands he would continue playing with. Against which I still have my 4 outs. And if he would make a bad call with a draw, I would have some 10 outs for improving my hand.

I'm not saying I should be extremely proud of the way I played, but the same decisions could look different had he actually folded or called and shown air/busted draw on showdown. And I'm not sure it's so easy to evaluate one's play against total fish :)

Anyway, thanks for the input.
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      this hand is so terribly played lol... fishaments
    • SallaMC
      SallaMC
      Bronze
      I think against this player, you should call the flop and check raise all in on the turn if you really think the guy plays any 2 cards. Still a bad line, but a tad better than the one you played here. I do recommend however that you don't play fancy against those players, since you won't be able to know if they improved on the flop or not. The patient player catches the fish. Wait for your monsters...
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      check-raise as a pure bluff can be a good idea but not against this calling station. I kind of like the call preflop for just 1bb. but after he min3bets the flop the hand is played beyond awful.