Confused about the SSS

• FaithKoala
      FaithKoala
      Bronze
      Hey,

I have a question regarding the Short Stack strategy that you suggest. I am not completely new to poker, but I am new to PS and to this strict SSS. So what I was wondering is if it is normal that within 650 raked hands now following this strategy on 0,05/0,10 NL 10$ tables my stack has gone from 50 to 40 to 50 to 35 now back to 50. Is that normal for this strategy ?

I guess what seems so strange to me is that at one point I had lost 30% of my stack in such a short time even though I followed the strategy. Of course I realise that no strategy is going to keep me from having bad beats, but I get the feeling that if what I can make from a table is just ,50$ before I leave then I am not fully capitalising on the fact that I actually am favored and the bad beats everyone gets will just keep the bankroll from growing where it could grow.
  • 15 replies
    • Alaton
      Alaton
      Black
      Going from 50$ down to 35$ equals losing 7 or 8 SSS-Stacks.
      This is nothing to worry about and will happen to you all the time playing poker, no matter what strategy you will apply.

The advantage of the Shortstackstrategy is, simply put, the reduction and simplification of your postflop decisions.
      This grants you with the ability to beat even much better opponents than you could by playing bigstack (playing with a full stack).
      If you are sure being better than your opponents on the current level you should play bigstack, but in most cases its the much better choice to start with the easiest way to play, which is SSS for NL.

Good luck at the tables!
    • FaithKoala
      FaithKoala
      Bronze
      Thanks for the answer. If you think about going down to 35 from 50 as stacks then losing 7 or 8 in a row really doesn't seem too weird, I guess I just didn't think about it at that point.
      I have played a bit more than 1250 raked hands now and I am about 10$ up from the starting 50, but I have also generated 127 party points so I guess its not all that bad.
      I have made a few alterations though and I was wondering if anyone more experienced in this strategy would care to comment on them. I read that in this strategy one should leave the 10$ NL table at 2,50$... I have extended my stay on the table to 3 or 4$ depending on the table and I also have experimented with playing suited A anything or high suited connectors QJ or sometimes even JT especially when on blinds. I don't play them agressively but if possible I limp in. I'd say it has gone better after starting to do this, but I haven't obviously played enough hands yet to draw any conclusions yet.
    • FaithKoala
      FaithKoala
      Bronze
      Now I am actually confused about being confused earlier :D

Since the last time I posted things have gone slightly better and with now a total of around 2700 raked hands played my bankroll is at 110$ despite having a lot of bad beats today.
      One thing that I have noticed though is that bluffing has a bigger positive effect on my bankroll than I would perhaps like. The lower limit tables seem at times really passive and I find myself bluffing with highcards more often than not and getting away with it. What I am worried about is when that changes all of a sudden I might not know what to do:p

Another newbie question to the mix: How do I actually get the HandRecorder to record hands? I am pretty sure that I set the path correctly and had it open when playing. Does it perhaps not work when playing multiple tables at once?
      Thanks in advance.
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      So first of all sorry for letting your post been unanswered for quite a while.

Perhpas you are interested that at the beginning of 2007 we will propably offer SSS coaching. We were able to find a realy great SSS player.

According to the Hand Recorder i don't know actually. Here is the link to the Hand Recorder website.

So there is a new version available. You see, as soon as Party makes an update it often can take a while until other software like the Hand Recorder adapts to the new Party Software and a updated version is release perhaps you should just try the v0.8.

Otherwise i just can tell you that you have to just click on the table you want to copy a hand from.

Best regards,
      Stefan
    • FaithKoala
      FaithKoala
      Bronze
      Thanks for the reply, coaching for SSS sounds really nice, I am looking forward to it. I am sure there are some twists and turns to SSS that will be very helpful on higher limits.
    • Alaton
      Alaton
      Black
      I'm glad to hear things go well for you FaithKoala.

If you get unsure of anything while playing try to post the hand, it will help your game alot!
      I don't know either if the Handrecorder is working for NL right now.
    • FaithKoala
      FaithKoala
      Bronze
      Wow, this has certainly not been a start to the year I would have hoped:p

From 110 I have taken a fall to mid 70s the past two days. And the most annoying thing is that I don't think I have played that bad...
      People seem to call absolutely everything with anything and hit full houses and the most insane flushes and straights against me lately.

I keep telling myself that it will all turn around etc. Then I get pocket aces and someone raises to 0.70 before me... I raise all in for 2.40... he calls... We get an ace on the flop and small cards on turn and river until I see that he raised and called with 4Jo and hit a straight 4 to 8...
      Thats just been the story of my past two days. I try to think positive and keep telling myself I am still 25$ up from the start...but then I realise I am almost 50$ down in two days at limits where it means that I have basically lost every hand I have played...

I am a few raked hands away from the 100$ bonus, but the thing is...I am even not so sure what to do with the bonus... my initial thought was that it'd give me a nice boost and I'll be on the 3rd level soon enough, but right now I am not even sure if I'll be at 50 by the time I get it to move to lvl 2...and should I even?

Hopefully this wednesday my ppoints will get updated on the site and I get access to the programs... Right now I could use every edge I can get.
    • FaithKoala
      FaithKoala
      Bronze
      This has somewhat turned into a progress report of mine it seems. Well I managed to somewhat climb out of that slump I was in the first two days of the year and crawled back to almost a 100 when I reached 5K raked hands and collected the bonus. I thought about it, but decided to move up despite not having had the best days lately.
      So far it is nothing spectacular. I am up to a total of 230, but it seems that I show up on a lot of peoples poker aid programs as someone who doesn't play a hand he is sure to win and I almost never get a call anymore with the 3 time raises.
      I guess it is not as bad as constantly gettin beat by insanely bad beats, but I'd still like some more action on my hands.

One thing I noticed is that while the NL 10$ are quite crowded at all times the higher limit tables are more active only at peak hours. It does seem like pp is on track to get back to where it once was but it is still ways to go from what it was. I can't remember it being a problem finding 3 or 4 tables to play on at 1/2 and 2/4 limits before that damn law in the US.

One more thing though, what I do with my partypoints doesn't really matter right? In order to reach a new level on pokerstrategy I just need to have gathered a certain amount of partypoints not still have them left, right?
    • Alaton
      Alaton
      Black
      Originally posted by FaithKoala
      One more thing though, what I do with my partypoints doesn't really matter right? In order to reach a new level on pokerstrategy I just need to have gathered a certain amount of partypoints not still have them left, right?
      Right!

Your Bankroll grows, you don't get badbeated, what more do you want ? :)

Actually it may be better to stay at the lower limit, like NL10$ in your case and try to play the max number of tables with the SSS.
      If you already do, it is of course ok to move up, but you can always fill missing tables on the higher limit with tables from the lower limit!

You are right, the Peak-times are now a bit more profitable then playing on other times, but you still find alot of bad players at partypoker, which is the main thing we need!
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      if you talkt about tables for me there is actually no option on 5/10 and above then partypoker. Really really fishy :D

But of course i can't judge the situation at the micro limit tables.

Best regards,
      stefan
    • FaithKoala
      FaithKoala
      Bronze
      Thanks for the posts guys.

Well as for multiple tables - I usually play 3 or 4 at the same time depending on how I feel. I have tried 5 at the same time, but I don't like the way the 5 tables are automatically spred across the screen. So I believe at least for now I will stick to 4 at a time.

Well and of course I still get bad beats every now and then, I don't have any of the programs yet (pokertracker/pokerace) but I am sure that of all the hands I play I lose AA the most. I mean, I think this year I have won about every fifth AA hand :p.

The reason I asked about the partypoints was to know if I can spend them on the partypoint freerolls. I have noticed that I am doing a bit better on tournaments and I end up on money more often than I used to, but I still don't feel good enough about them to constantly buy-in on bigger tournaments, and since I have taken this partypoker account to actually play poker strategically by also managing the bankroll I don't think it would be a good idea to spend money on tournament buy-ins at this point.

One more thing though, I joined up with PokerStrategy fairly recently and yesterday was the first time that the partypoints got updated for me on this website. I finished yesterday at roughly 650 lifetime partypoints but on this page it says 330 or something similar. How are they calculated here? and what is the reason for them being smaller on this website?

And regarding higher limit tables on partypoker. I have never played on tables as high as 5/10 or above regularly so I wouldn't know about them, but I used to play 1/2 - 3/6 on partypoker this summer and I remember there being far more tables than there are now on these limits. Thats what I was trying to say.
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      For your status update we calculate how many partypoints you achieved within the last 4 weeks before our deadline (at the moment the 31th of december) and not your lifetime partypoints.

Best regards,
      Stefan
    • FaithKoala
      FaithKoala
      Bronze
      Thank you for the answer :) If the date is 31st of December it clears up a lot of things because I probably was at about that amount at the time.

I only asked about the lifetime partypoints because for me right now it also means the partypoints in the last 4 weeks. I just expressed myself incorrectly.

I do have one further question regarding the partypoint system here at pokerstrategy though, if you don't mind.

I am aiming for the gold status right now, because the other ones seem a bit out of reach at my current bankroll. So I was wondering, in order to keep the gold status once I reach it. Lets say I have just reache exactly 800 party points. Now to keep the status. Do I need to be at 800 partypoints every week (200 per week) or can the 800 be more spread out across the month (for example just 25 the first week then 300 then 70 and then 405) ?

I hope you understood my question.

Thanks in advance. :)
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      Hi Koala,

Actually that is not possible at the moment. Unfortunatly you have to reach 800PP for gold status every month (4 weeks). We are also a bit unsatisfied about our system and we are working on different solutions at the moment.

Best regards,
      Stefan
    • FaithKoala
      FaithKoala
      Bronze
      It has been a few days since I last updated my progress report. I don't know if anyone even reads these but I know I like to read progress reports so I guess I'll continue with this:p.

I am still playing at .10/.25 NL tables and even though it almost felt like I would get to the next level pretty soon, it hasn't quite happened yet. My bankroll is currently at 332$, but has been there for the last 3 days. The past three days have been really annoying, not really because I haven't climbed up a level yet, but the standing still really annoys me. If it was a clear downswing I'd take it and know it'll change, but right now I am a tad concerned.
      I have somewhat changed to a more tight strategy though, I don't play Ace anything suited anymore that often and I also play a little tighter on really low pairs.

I have a new favourite hand though. On pocket eights my winning percentage is probably better than with anything else. But I have also noticed that I tend to overplay AQ and sometimes AK... I guess if it wasn't for overplaying those hands that often I'd be at a reasonably higher amount now.

I also keep making the really stupid mistakes sometimes. Today, for example, I lost two stacks because I paid too much attention to my own hand and not on the board. I got an 8 high flush against two opponents on the river and pushed all-in, but failed to see that the last card also brought a pair to the table and lost my money to a full-house.
      And quite similarly I lost to a fullhouse with the best straight. I was just thinking of taking as much as I can and never noticed the pair on the board.

I think if I am able to avoid those mistakes and play my AQ and AK hands better and just give up sometimes I could reach the 3rd level pretty soon.

I can't wait for a new partypoint update on this website though, I can finally get a copy of PokerTracker and the more I think of it the more I can see this helping me. Especially when playing hands like AQ and AK post-flop. I often don't know what to put the opponent on and I hope this can give me some ideas.

I have a question too, though, if anyone reads this. This new advertise a friend promotion for January. How does it exactly work. Is the bonus money from it automatic or does it come when the website has been updated. I have a few friends who have signed up with my name as their friend and from what I understand they have all already passed the 5 partypoint mark that should add an extra 10$ to my account, but I haven't really noticed it yet.