Coaching Info:

• Name: MiddleStack Coaching
      • Coach: Gerv
      • Time: Sundays 17:00 GMT - 18:00 GMT

What will you learn in this coaching?

[filled by coach]

Upcoming Topics

Your feedback is wanted!

We want to know how you like the coaching and how we can improve. Please share your feedback in this thread!

About me:
      [filled by coach]

Hope to see you in the coachings :) .

Best regards,
      coach

Heyhello!

Please post here any questions, feedback & suggestions related to my Coaching.

Overview
      Name of Coaching: No-Limit MSS Beginners
      Pokerroom: PartyPoker
      Coach: Gerv
      Required Status: Basic
      Time of Coaching: Sunday 19:00 CET - 20:00 CET

About the coaching
      The MSS coaching combines all relevant MSS articles, Quizzes and theory together in one coaching session provided by Gerv. Furthermore a shorthanded table is added for MSS players who are interested how that is played out. Simple statistics are used to satisfy both heavy users of statistics and novices

About Me

My name is Gerv, am originally from Holland but living in Dublin right now. Besides playing poker on the SSNL/MSNL stakes , I also play PLO small stakes. I have been starting out with a $50 capital as well on PokerStrategy.com. From there onwards, I never looked back.

Nowadays I provide MSS coachings, hand evaluations and occasionally produce videos for PokerStrategy

Hope to see you soon!
  • 172 replies
    • wuusaa
      wuusaa
      Bronze
      wuhu, Gerv's own thread :D
    • kukkiwonBG
      kukkiwonBG
      Bronze
      Congratz from me too Gerv
      :s_cool:
    • rstohr
      rstohr
      Bronze
      looking forward to the next coaching!
    • kenthmp
      kenthmp
      Bronze
      Hello Gerv,
      I wonder when I should bet potsize and when I should I bet 2/3 potsize? I am confused in this matter.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Hello Ken!

You should always bet Potsized in unraised pots where you have a made hand or a 13+outs monsterdraw. The reason we do this is to 1) Protect our Hand & 2) Build up the Pot so that we can go all-in as soon as possible.

Betting 2/3 potsized is applicable in both raised and unraised pots. However I mostly bet Potsized all the way in unraised pot but sometimes 2/3 on the Turn is appropriate.

in raised pots, a c-bet always is between 60-70% (2/3).

Does this clarify it?

Best regards,
      Gerv
    • kenthmp
      kenthmp
      Bronze
      ok. tnx. :D

another question:
      This is about cbets, suppose that I raised pre-flop, One villain calls, hit nothing and villain min bets. Should I make a cbet here? or should I just fold?

I find it disturbing that my AFq is not as high as it supposed to be while I am just playing the way the articles tell me to play.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      If Villain donkbets (1bb/2bb) I tend to see it as a check so I make a c-bet as though Villain checked, however you have to look carefully to your own stack since you have to increase your bet with 1 or 2bb to let it stay a 2/3 cBet.

I should not worry about AFq & AF as a basic shortstacker until you have played like 20k hands, it should be like 30-40% if I remember
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      I will be bumping this thread as I would like to hear some more feedback from players to improve my coaching.

The coachings I do for the English community are at the moment:
      * Silver Coaching on Fridays 18:00 CET - 19:30 CET
      * Bronze Coaching on Sunday 19:00 - 20:00 CET

Also Feedback on Videos and/or Hand Evaluations are welcome in this thread :) . You can also comment here if you have something to say about the Quality of the Dutch community concerning me!

The only rule I want to apply here is that anything should be constructed and wellthought.

To guide you a bit for this I apply:
      The S-EX-I principle:
      * First you State something: I don't like your coachings Gerv.

* Second you EXplain it: Because most of the times your Mikogo is full and I cannot watch your Lovely Emma Watson Wallpaper

* Last but not least you TRY to Illustrate it by giving me an example. This is a crucial thing as I can interpret things wrong (Written Communication is not really bulletproof).
      So: For example, yesterday's coaching Kingdippy was spamming all around and was on mikogo as well as I heard it. Since he doesn't play SSS at all, can you maybe kick him to give an eager student the opportunity to watch your screen ( and Emma Watson ) ?

Mostly people will only State things and then press the ''Post Reply'' button on the Internet which I found very dissapointing.

13th of November Friday's Coaching Announcement: I want to end it a little sooner (15 min.) because I want to catch my crucial train! Therefore I start a little earlier!

Thanks.

Gerv
    • kan00
      kan00
      Bronze
      I have only had chance to see a couple of your coaching sessions and they have been very good! You answer all the questions and it's very useful to all of us so thanks, keep up the good work. It's good to see that your trying to improve your coaching and not just your poker...
    • THeGaME23
      THeGaME23
      Bronze
      Really liked your last NL25 SSS video. Please do another one :)
    • painterman007
      painterman007
      Bronze
      What kind of stats should you have at NL5 playing SSS?
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Hi Guys!

Ofcourse when I actively promote to give me feedback, I should be responding :) !

Originally posted by THeGaME23
      Really liked your last NL25 SSS video. Please do another one :)
      Thank you and I have already got 5 videos uploaded and ready to be published for the English community! Also I will upload a new mini-serie as well coming weeks so that makes 7 vids total :) !

Originally posted by painterman007
      What kind of stats should you have at NL5 playing SSS?
      Hello Painterman007!
      As I see 5NL as a basic SSS level, one should play the Starting Hands Chart (EP: AK+,JJ+ - MP: 99+,AQ+ , LP: 77+,AJ+,KQ )

In the end you should have a VPIP of 5 till 10 and a PFR with the same number or at most 1 level less. So for example 5/4 is ok while 5/2 is NOT really okay.

See you at the coaching :) !
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Coming Friday I will not be doing my Coaching however I found a solid substitute for you guys. I am pretty sure you guys know him/her (I prefer the female variant ;( ) Anna Kurnikowa

He told me he will be playing on the PartyPoker network so be prepared to install that client on your harddrive.

I am not sure if he is going to use any screen-sharing tool like Mikogo, Yuuguu

See you Sunday!

- Gerv
    • AnnaKurnikowa
      AnnaKurnikowa
      Bronze
      I got no idea about Mikogo / Yuuguu :p

I'm looking forward to see you all tomorrow =)

AK

BTW: I'm gonna coach on Full Tilt Poker, not on party ;) so get your FTP software ready
    • Teyiebuns
      Teyiebuns
      Bronze
      I just watched the Sunday coaching with Gerv, my first ever live coaching session. It was great, really helped me watching someone better play and especially hearing his thoughts.

Also Gerv helped encourage me it's about improving my play and not about the fact I'm losing after 6000 hands.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Today's coaching result:

Interesting hand:

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
      NL Holdem $0.50(BB) Replayer
      SB ($28.35)
      BB ($12)
      Hero ($10.75)
      UTG+1 ($30)
      UTG+2 ($50.75)
      MP1 ($21.85)
      CO ($7.40)
      BTN ($45.35)

Dealt to Hero K:heart: Q:club:

Hero raises to $1.75, fold, fold, fold, fold, BTN calls $1.75, fold, fold

FLOP ($4.25) 2:heart: 9:spade: 4:club:

Hero checks, BTN bets $2.50, Hero raises to $9 (AI),
      First-off, preflop raise was a bit too loose especially with a 45/9,142hands OTB but we are not dominated often whenever we play against this guy. Aside from that, the rest of the tables were either folding or 3betting.

Postflop becomes interesting too since the flop is as dry as the Sahara, we are expected to see some loose calls or bluffraises by Villain. however I checked his postflop stats which are these:
      Fold to cBet 50% (14)
      Raise cBet 43% (14)
      AFq Flop 46%
      AF 3.1
      Bet In Position vs Missed CB 73% (11)
      WTSD 39% (57)
      WWSF 46% (57)
      Mixing that together and we got ourself a very solid mix for a guy who bets nearly 100% IP against a PFA who checks OOP. So that said, c/RAI for value can also be a viable option.

The reason that I say for value is that when I assume a high frequence of air balls betting there (Which should be Ax, Kx and random Gutters) should or will fold there to my c/RAI.

I risk 9 to win 6.25 combined with at least 20-24% equity, his FEQ should be around 40% to be EV=+0.3$ (=1BB)

If he folds Ax , he gives up too much Pot Equity since he was ahead against us which is good

-> Would I do this with TT+ as well?

Definitly not since EV-max for such a hand is definitly betting out Flop at least and go from there. If he raises -> Jam, if he calls, you can go either way on the Turn by betting again or c/RAI on a blank. As his Turn/River Aggro stats aren't that aggro anymore, I prefer bet/bet/bet with TT+

[b]Coming Sunday's coaching will be at 20:00 CET because I will be seeing Calyx (Drum&Bass) in Groningen like 110km from my hometown!![/b]

Have a nice weekend guys! :f_cool:
    • seppers
      seppers
      Bronze
      You're doing a great job !
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Originally posted by seppers
      You're doing a great job !
      Thanks :) There has been 1 interesting question and currently awaiting Stars support to give me the necessary info :) will post later!
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      !!! Important !!!

Today's coaching will start ONE HOUR earlier at 6 CET (German, Dutch time)

- Gerv