Shotting NL400 SSS

• DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      So I'm thinking about when I should shot NL400SSS again. (I already took the shortest shot ever lol - 12 hands) When I say Shot, This is what i mean;

Say you spot an NL400 table with a ridiculous 4 or 5 40%+ vpip FISH on it. Then you can Join, Try and play a good solid TAG game and wait for your opportunity to stack one of them. You can LEAVE If you lose 2 Buy-Ins, Maybe even only 1 and Decide you can't take the Variance Just Yet.

I think that for the situation described you really don't need ALL that many BI in your roll. Maybe as low as 40 to 50 BI? If it works, It could help Accelerate you're progress slightly onto a new Limit. If it Doesn't, No Biggy, You havn't exactly lost very much of your roll and you can have a shot another time.

My Situation is that I'm unsure If i should wait for my roll to reach $4,500 or $5,000 Before even Thinking about Shotting NL400SSS again. I wouldn't really want to think I wasn't being careful enough with my Roll.
  • 8 replies
    • mishuq
      mishuq
      Bronze
      hello, DaPhunk!

imo, you can play sss on any limit as long as you have 30 BIs for it.
      if you're ok with moving down back to NL200 after 2 lost BIs on NL400, you could play it before you even get to 30 BIs.perhaps you could even manage to stand to a upcoming downswing on NL200 and hit the heater on NL400 :D

btw, just noticed your nickname stands for my (probably all-time) favourite song :P
    • sm112
      sm112
      Black
      If you are scared to lose money, don't ever go to NL400. If you think higher limit doesn't affect your mindset, you can start taking shots with 2400$ (30 buy-ins).
    • gambleris
      gambleris
      Bronze
      I think 30BI is not enough for NL400 especially SSS where swings are bigger. 50 or 60 BI would be the number.
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      Interesting Noting the Difference of Opinion on this one.

I think Personally I'm All for taking gambleris's Conservative to sort of properly move up to the limit, but as for taking Shots, I think I'm perfectly happy with doing that with maybe as little as $3000 in my roll. As I know it would only be a one off game till I'm up to $4 or $5k.

I have Decided However that I will delay even trying NL400 till I'm up to $4,500 and can open up a few tables at the same time and can have a proper go at it. That way i can get a proper focus for trying this new limit.

Originally posted by mishuq
      btw, just noticed your nickname stands for my (probably all-time) favourite song :P
      Good Song isn't it :D One of my Favourite electronic music groups also. "Around the World" and "Technologic" are a couple of my other fav tracks.
    • mishuq
      mishuq
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DaPhunk

Good Song isn't it :D One of my Favourite electronic music groups also. "Around the World" and "Technologic" are a couple of my other fav tracks.
      Alive 1997 :heart: :heart:
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      I would try one table with good V$IP and leave after one BI. Then try again another day or later on. I would post every hand I had doubts with to make sure I played well. This will boost your confidence and help you not to play scared.
    • Ejeckt
      Ejeckt
      Bronze
      I think you should go for it. If you're disciplined and move down when it gets dangerous, there shouldn't be a problem.

Obviously the odds are against you. And as sm112 pointed out, you can't play with scared money. But I think that if you play with the attitude you have now, everything should be fine. I sometimes take shots at larger tournaments that my BR cannot really support. My philosophy is that I treat the shot as a withdrawal from my BR. But instead of putting it in my wallet and spending it on whatever, I put it into a tournament. If it works out, great, if not, as you said, "no biggie".

It makes poker more fun :)
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      As my Roll Reached $4000 I played 3 Tables of NL400 today. There were aproximately 2 Fish on each. It could have gone either way and it went the Wrong way.

My All-In Ev was actually up at $60 till I got coolered towards the end, when it dropped to -$25. However, I actually ran -$249 for the session :p

I think I'll stay away from NL400 till my Roll is $5 or $6k now :D Even at $4k 3BI on NL400 SSS stings!

(I may Cash out and try and build up a roll for NL400 on a different site Instead, I'm currently on PartyPoker and it Sucks for NL400 Tables)