Button ($10)
      SB ($122.15)
      BB ($72.61)
      UTG ($11.50)
      UTG+1 ($70)
      UTG+2 ($52.65)
      MP1 ($18.52)
      MP2 ($9.50)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Ts, 9s. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
      2 folds, UTG+2 calls $0.50, MP1 calls $0.50, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.50, 1 fold, SB (poster) raises to $1.75, 1 fold, UTG+2 calls $1.50, MP1 calls $1.50, Hero calls $1.50.

Flop: ($8.50) 8d, 9d, 6c (4 players)
      SB bets $3, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, Hero calls $3.

Turn: ($14.50) Js (2 players)
      SB bets $7.15, Hero is all-In ($15.15) , SB calls $8

River: ($45.65) 6s (2 players)

Final Pot: $45.65

Results below:
      SB has 7c Ah (one pair, sixes).
      Hero has Ts 9s (two pair, nines and sixes).

The preflop raiser is a guy who raises every now and then pre flop , probably often enough that he doesn't just do it with high pairs or 2 high cards.
      I wanted to play my 9 10 suited because i find most of my winnings to come from flushes, so i posted the big blind. Then the guy raises from SB and since 2 other people called i decided to call it as well. On the flop i have top pair with a medium kicker and a gutshot straight draw and i decided to call his bet.
      On the turn a card higher than my pair drops , and his bet which was half pot didnt make me feel that it helped him. Plus now i could complete my straight with 2 different cards. So i decide to double his bet which was pretty much me going all in to see if he really has what he claims to , or if he just makes continuation bets to throw me off the pot. Anyway he called and apparently he only had an OESD.
      I believe my mistake was that i should have made the raise on his bet on the flop instead of the turn ? A problem with going up in limits is that a bet which is normal for this limit , looks rather big for the newcomer who is used to the small bets of lesser limits. Meaning that i value these 6$ that i would have to raise perhaps more than someone who is more experienced in this limit.
      Also is the 9Ts limp in any worth at first? and then the call on the 2$ bet with 2 other callers?

I also have a problem with converting my hands at http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php

I took the txt from my hands history folder , copied it on the input window , i convert and this is what i get :

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.comFlopTurnRiver.com (Format: Plain Text)

MP3 ($29.80)
      Hero ($20.15)
      Button ($10)
      SB ($122.15)
      BB ($72.61)
      UTG ($11.50)
      UTG+1 ($70)
      UTG+2 ($52.65)
      MP1 ($18.52)
      MP2 ($9.50)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Ts, 9s. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
      2 folds, UTG+2 calls $0.50, MP1 calls $0.50, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.50, 1 fold, SB (poster) raises to $1.75, 1 fold, UTG+2 calls $1.50, MP1 calls $1.50, Hero calls $1.50.

Flop: ($8.50) 8d, 9d, 6c (4 players)
      SB bets $3, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, Hero calls $3.

Turn: ($14.50) Js (2 players)
      SB bets $7.15, SB calls $8.

River: ($29.65) 6s (2 players)

Final Pot: $29.65

Results below:
      SB has 7c Ah (one pair, sixes).
      Hero has Ts 9s (two pair, nines and sixes).
      Outcome: Hero wins $29.65.

Apparently it didnt identify my all-in. It happens in almost all hands i try to convert too. Can i get any help on this ? Supposedly there should be a link on the forum post about hand posting guidelines but there isnt any.
  • 3 replies
    • Alaton
      Alaton
      Black
      You shouldn't play mediumstacked poker, it has no real advantages but lots of disadvantages!
      With a medium stack like yours limping in with t9s is ok, but calling a 1,5$ raise is really close even with 2 callers in the pot.
      With a large stack you could easily call the raise and hope to flop a nice hand.

I like your play postflop however!

Raising on the flop commits you to the pot and leaves you no backdoor to escape. (notice: a raise here should at least be ~12$)
      On the other side of course you protect against overcards and flushdraws.

By just calling on the flop, you still can decide depending on the turncard wether you want to put your whole stack at risk. Furthermore, you get more Information on your opponent because he is forced to act again before you.
      However, you let flushdraws see the next card cheaply.

Alltogether I prefer playing cautiously here by just calling the flop and pushing the turn when sensing weakness, like you did!

We are working on the hand posting guidelines and we have a tool called "Handrecorder" available for you soon.
      I hope this will fix your problems!
    • undercover82
      undercover82
      Bronze
      I see. Its something that i only try on the beginner tables , i get in with minimum stack , play aggresively at first and when i win a good pot and reach a stack where i should normally leave , i instead stick around and try to play a lot more careful , trying to limp in in some cases and play accordingly depending on flop.
      It works ok for me because the level on these tables isnt very high and almost noone raises preflop , so i end up some times leaving the table with 5+ times the amount of money that i got in with.

Ofc i can see and i already knew that putting 1/10th of my stack on such a mediocre hand preflop was not the most appropriate solution. It's just too tempting because i feel that if i get my flush draw i could earn a big pot.
      I suppose i ll have to beat this urge :D .
      Thx for the help as always.
    • Alaton
      Alaton
      Black
      Why don't you just try the BigStackPlay on the lowest Limit and see if it works for you.
      It really is worth a try and will help your game for sure!

And as you say, competition is not really though in NL5$