The NL50 with the SSS. Prepare me please!

• mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      So by the end of the week I am hoping to move up the limits when I reach the 30 buy ins needed for the NL50.

So what are the main differences between NL25 and the NL50?
      For NL25 I know people say is the same fish-stuff like the NL10 only the fish stacks are bigger. Is this true from the point of view of a relatively new player?
      For NL50 I know I should play with HUD and make decisions based on stats and notes but I tried to do this in the NL25 too so that shouldn't be much of a problem.

I mainly want to know in which ways the game is harder than the NL25 game.

Thanks in advance!
  • 10 replies
    • Ishindar
      Ishindar
      Bronze
      what site are u playing on? it differs from site to site but in general the blinds defend more actively. its better to steal from mp3 and co than the button.
      its harder to get action when u get playable hole cards with a SS, most tables are very tight and most players will know your range and just fold. if u are not geting action it can be wise to limp in occasionally as u will usually get raised so u can then reraise all-in. in general its good to mix it so they cant predict what u have.
      if u wana try NL50 do it on the weekend as u can win a lota money againstthe casual players.
      i think you may be better playing volume rather than using stats at NL50 level. at weekend volume pays, during the weekdays i think stats may pay off, im not sure yet!
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      I'm playing on PokerStars with a win ratio of 5 big blinds per 100 hands on the NL25 and a bankroll of $270 after 12000 hands. Forgot to put this in the opening post.

The thing that bothers me is that SSS is so swingy that yesterday I had -8 BI in 1100 hands and in the afternoon I had +9 BI for 300 hands. Today I lost 2,5 BI in the NL25 for 600 hands.

And if I lose 8 BI on the NL50 early that's going to ruin my confidence. And here comes another question: should I grind the NL25 for like $400 instead of $300 and start the NL50 at $400.

ps: I watched some video on the NL50 on Pokerstars with the SSS and it didn't seem unbeatable with this strategy.
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      there are more oponents that steal/resteal agressive but some of them still defend the bb passive so you can open up a bit your range from latish position (mp3 , co, bu) against the right oponents. Also restealing becomes important.

but yes a hud is pretty usefull here to see who is still the loose unbluffable calling station or a ultra nit (there are more people who actually fold gutshots :D )

If you are not comfortable with variance I think waiting for 45-50 bi is way better.
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      Thanks, alejandro!

And who is comfortable with variance? I mean... It is kinda ugly to go all in with the right hands and still watch the money go down the drain, right? It's ok when I am playing a limit and I am like 20 BI up already, welcome variance I don't care, but if it happens in the beginning it's very bad,
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      I just moved to NL50 myself, (6k hands) and there is a lot of difference on pokerstars (imo), from NL25.

I would say you NEED a HUD and you could really do with being Gold so you can have access to the next articles, there is some great info in there.

Also, I would suggest you ease yourself into the limit and not play to many tables when you first start.

The steals and resteals become a much bigger part of the game, so watch out for that and brush up on the article, maybe watch a couple of videos or get someone to give you a sweat session, just to make sure.

I also found that when you first start this limit a lot of the regulars will call you down to check your hole cards. So limit the bluffing for a while until you settle in. Obviously you won't know who the regulars are until you play a good few hands, but this is where you HUD becomes essential. And they will notice you as soon as you sit at the table.

This is just the way I found it to be, and others may have varied opinions, so you may find it different.

Oh yeah, one last thing.... Watch out for me, I am still lurking at NL50 ;)

Good luck, hope you start your new limit on an upswing, and don't forget that losing $10 is the same as losing $5 when switching limits, and don't become to disheartened if you lose a few buy-ins and it dents your BR, you can make it back using the SSS properly. And if you do lose a lot, remember to drop down a limit and stick to BRM.

I personally, when I started this limit, gave myself a 4 buy-in window, so if I won 4 buy-in's I would drop to NL25 for the rest of the day, and if I lost 4 buy-ins I would drop to NL25 or just study a few vids and articles or both.

Hope this helps you a little,

Danny
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      Dude, that's an amazing piece of advice, thank you so much for the time spend!
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mishkagg
      Dude, that's an amazing piece of advice, thank you so much for the time spend!
      No problem, any other questions feel free to ask, or add me to skype :)
    • RockEye
      RockEye
      Bronze
      I can't tell you for Poker Stars, but on Party poker NL50 is fishier then NL25, even NL100 is hillarius, dunno if i was just lucky when i was picking tables or what but having 7 limpers and no raiser on FR table every second hand smells like :f_eek:

My advice would be, follow SSS religiously and start with only 4 tables. Or mix tables. Play your usuall NL25 and open a NL50 table or two, just to try and get a hang of it.

I
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      Yeah I was thinking in similar lines, not to jump in NL50 but first 2-3 tables with 2-3 from the NL25 and so on.

And as it seems I will wait till I am gold status here so I can read the articles, draw some conclusions and hopefully build a bigger and safer bankroll. But all the advices are great, thank you!

MrMardy, I added you in skype, please authorize my request :)
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mishkagg
      Yeah I was thinking in similar lines, not to jump in NL50 but first 2-3 tables with 2-3 from the NL25 and so on.

And as it seems I will wait till I am gold status here so I can read the articles, draw some conclusions and hopefully build a bigger and safer bankroll. But all the advices are great, thank you!

MrMardy, I added you in skype, please authorize my request :)

Hi mate,

I haven't recieved your request.... Want to message me your Skype and I will add you?

Danny