[NL20-NL50] NL50 - AK, 4bet pot

• MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Villain seems like a regular tag ~21/~17/~2.7, breaking-even over around 1800 hands.

His 3bet PF is ~7%, and for what its worth given the sample size (read : not much..), he has Call PF 4bet at 25% and Fold to PF 4bet at 50%.

No particular history, most of the time we only bump into each other for a few 3bet/fold going both ways, and i have been pretty nitty this session compared to my usual game.
      So i dont think my being his opponent here has much to do with his actions.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

$0.25/$0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (5 handed)

Known players:
      MP3(Hero):
      $91.16
      CO:
      $58.16
      BU:
      $63.79
      SB:
      $44.88
      BB:
      $56.01

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A, K.
      Hero raises to $2, CO raises to $6, 3 folds, Hero raises to $20, CO calls $14.00.

Flop: ($40.75) T, 3, 2 (2 players)
      Hero ??

Basically i don't know what to do here, mostly because people don't call 4bets at nl50, 120bb deep. My 4bet was somewhat smallish OOP and just making it bigger might make further decisions easier.

As played it doesn't really make sense to me to flat AK or AQ, even IP, given you'll have no idea what to do on that kind of flop and yet you are somewhat committed. Maybe it makes sense to him tho.

So all i can put him on without further reads is broadly JJ+.
      Maybe JJ/QQ not wanting to go broke preflop for a flip at best, or KK/AA afraid to scare me off with a 5bet or something. I dont know.

Given that, i dont like any of my options :

- Without reads of him shoving over a weak cbet even in a 3bet pot with air/A-high i wouldn't know what to make of his shove if i were to cbet small. Not even sure i can fold then, given the huge odds i would get.

- Even if i open shove here i don't think i can get him off of JJ+, ever. So i'm a dog every time he calls but at least i don't get bluffed off by AK/AQ if he somehow flatted the 4bet with that.

- If i check i give him a licence to do whatever he wants, and likely end up in a even worse situation, having to either fold or shove over whatever bet he might make.

So, what's the play ?

For what it's worth, having no idea what to do, i ended up taking the +-0EV option of check/folding that to his 1/3 pot bet, which might have been anything from a cheap steal to an sucker/inducing bet.

Hope you didn't fall asleep or TLDR'd it.

Thanks in advance.
  • 4 replies
    • Verre
      Verre
      Bronze
      Wow thats a tough flop.

To be honest before I saw the flop with only the call after you 4 bet I put him on 99-JJ. With the minimal 1/3 raise after your check I think he was actually afraid of a check reraise line but despite this he probubly would have called a reraise after committing so many chips preflop and then flopping an overpair.

I think your fold here was the right play.

On the other side of the coin, and this is probubly because I play FR, I just call the 3 bet he made. In 6 handed the 3 bet you made on his reraise with AKs is probubly the right play.

In my opinion bad luck and well played.
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      I'm guessing check/folding right here is actually very bad for metagame against tough opponents because it's gonna be exploitable. I would probably need to balance it depending on what i do when i have KK/AA in that spot.

Still i'm not sure i care about that yet, it's nl50.

I'm more interested in the best play for that hand alone, because not many regs are tough enough to exploit my unbalanced range there, especially because nobody usually just calls a 4bet 120bb deep.
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tamairlarace
      I'm guessing check/folding right here is actually very bad for metagame against tough opponents because it's gonna be exploitable. I would probably need to balance it depending on what i do when i have KK/AA in that spot.

Still i'm not sure i care about that yet, it's nl50.

I'm more interested in the best play for that hand alone, because not many regs are tough enough to exploit my unbalanced range there, especially because nobody usually just calls a 4bet 120bb deep.
      Hi I do not think we need to balance here for having KK/AA.

Reason is that villain flat calls 4-bet, which is most probably JJ+.
      He will go broke on any flop where he has an overpair. Hence yes your KK/AA line would be to bet, but villain will not fold to this bet and probably just push. He will do this every time except when holding AK himself.

I would c/f this flop because my c-bet will get raised like 80% of the time or so.

I had this situation before. I got raised 4/5 times or 3/4 times if I remember correctly, hence I like to c/f these kind of boards now.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      It is good board villain to make move even if he calls looser range there than TT/JJ/QQ
      I think c/f is fien line here, because you don´t have any draw and likely would have to fold to shove