Quiz of the Week: Silver Graduation Exam

• 21 replies
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      What do we expect opponent can check-raise with in Q12, or for that matter 3bet flop with in Q11?

Standard opponent will just call with Ax and alot of pocket pairs. The only thing any reasonable player would check-raise-broke with here is 45s/56s / 44.

Strange to so quickly throw away bet-fold lines. You arnt getting to SD for less than a stack vs anything check-raisable -

Flop pot $4.25, stacks $48
      Hero bets $3.5
      Villain raises to $10
      Hero calls

Turn pot $31.25, stacks $34.50

Reasonable villain is probably shoving turn with any hand that was worth check-raising so what have we achieved with calldown WA/WB apart from seeing a turn? Not a thing.

Checking would be an oddly passive play as we get no value from hands that will likely call (Ax, some pocket pairs). Slowplay is bizzare with TPTK regardless of board texture vs anything but a bad maniac. It would greatly amuse me to see hero check flop, run into a turned set then cry about "how lucky" the villain was after losing a big pot "calling down bluffs".

Given the range a reasonable opponent could call from BB then check-raise (44, 45s, 34s) I am bet-folding to get value from Ax or just take the pot down right there. Greedy slowplayers deserve the burning they can get with TPTK.
    • luitzen
      luitzen
      Bronze
      Question 13.

PartyPoker $50 NL Hold'em (6 handed)
      Stacks & Stats
      MP ($50)
      Hero ($50)
      UTG ($50)
      BB($50)
      SB ($50)
      BU ($50)

Preflop: Hero is CO with ASpade , KHeart
      2 folds, Hero raises to $2.00, 2 folds, BB calls $2.00

Flop: ($4.25) QDiamond , 4Spade , 4Heart (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero...

SB isn't in the hand.
    • andyb43
      andyb43
      Bronze
      The questions are all SH.................articles don't cover this! :f_cry:

AT least make it half and half..........
    • luitzen
      luitzen
      Bronze
      I'm a SSS player and I've never played SH or read anything about it, but I got 22 points, which is not bad. On the other hand I agree with you that there's not much point in a bronze or silver exam involving SH when SH isn't covered by bronze or silver.
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      29 points, maybe I deserve the gold status after all :D

And aren't like all the nl25-50sh videos silver? I guess there's some coverage after all :)
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Evaluation

You have achieved a total 28 of 31 possible points. This corresponds to 90 %!

;)

BTW, I don't EVER play SH... ;) ... Maybe I should :s_confused:
    • tonnek
      tonnek
      Bronze
      So this quiz is not for SSS players? I mean the bronze one.
    • andyb43
      andyb43
      Bronze
      Originally posted by alejandrosh
      And aren't like all the nl25-50sh videos silver? I guess there's some coverage after all :)
      How do bronze members playing NL2 & NL4 get to see NL50 SH videos?

Answers on a post card please........... :tongue:
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      You have achieved a total 29 of 31 possible points. This corresponds to 94 %!

I must admit I used Equilator heavily for about 3 answers. Does this mean my actual score is less? Probably does since we have to memorize these odds.

Question 7: How can we be sure CO is shoving after a raise and my shove? If CO folds, and I put shover on a set, our play is -EV imo
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      27 of 31, good quiz, made a stupid mistake that cost me 3 points. :D
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      27/31 :/ I failed at shipping AA against a set there (that was a silly mistake) and also I had a hard time deciding wheither both opponents having FH chances (which I now realise doesn't matter because if 1 has it its the same chance) or the 2 extra ace-outs was worth more... I decided wrong :tongue:

Bah

Fun to see Jaissica trying to argue his way out of a bad score again :D

Oh and Brood... you used the equilator and still didn't get 100%? Wtf? :P I thought they said in the start not to use it ;)
    • Hackett77
      Hackett77
      Bronze
      81%

Im just getting my head into shorthand and its certainly not for the faint hearted is it. I think Im much more comfortable with FR but SH certainly has alot more edge to it.
    • gambleris
      gambleris
      Bronze
      I am bronze and i could take the quiz (happy) .
      You have achieved a total 25 of 31 possible points. This corresponds to 81 %!
      Failed on Q2 Q7 and Q11
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Originally posted by gambleris
      I am bronze and i could take the quiz (happy) .
      You have achieved a total 25 of 31 possible points. This corresponds to 81 %!
      Failed on Q2 Q7 and Q11
      Im pretty sure Ive seen u at NL20 more than once, are you following BRM?
    • gambleris
      gambleris
      Bronze
      I dont think you have ever seen me. I don't even have account on mansion. My nick on Pokerstars was totally different. About year ago i was playing SSS up to NL100 there. Of course, i followed BRM. Had platinum status on pokerstrategy. Currently, i don't play poker at all, because lack of time, so i sometimes read forums and try quizes :)
    • radyan111
      radyan111
      Bronze
      27/31

I made a mistake on 6th question. We're 4-handed - why don't we consider that sometimes we're against a higher flushdraw there, especially when we face a raise and a reraise? Our flush outs are dead there and our equity decreases. It's not mentioned enywhere in the explanations and I think it's important.
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Fongie
      27/31

Fun to see Jaissica trying to argue his way out of a bad score again :D

Hardly, I outscored you :) 28/31.

Fail as mentioned in regarding Q12 still as bet-fold. Like I said, whatever can check-raise into the PFA on an A-4-4 rainbow board is something I dont want to play against with TPTK vs unknowns.

Better to let them steal the pot and make a note than pay off a 4 with a stack.

I also prefered to attack the SB's donk in Q11 than play call-along. I think check-raise implies far stronger hands in general than a donk :)

Just curious, do you agree with giving 2 points to slowplaying TPTK in Q12?
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      You seriously want to fold AK on an A44 board to a checkraise? Wow :P Let me put it this way... I c/r (or float) boards such as this very often as a bluff when villain open raised from a weak position (like CO, where he can have many other things than an ace). Only against people I know don't think very much and cant realize I wouldn't raise a 4 and I wouldn't raise an A either so I can only be bluffing :tongue:

I play bet/call(down) here to let him keep bluffing. He very rarely has a 4 here ;)

I don't really like the check option though that's for sure. Induce a bluff? Well, I think if they want to bluff they will do it over our cbet anyway ;)
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      Yeah, but im folding to your re-raise and noting it, since its so rare. If it happens a few times im going to (hopefully!) react :)

If you floated we would be close to committed by the turn anyway, so if you raised my 2nd barrel :\ dont think anyone would be folding then.

Its a really, really bad flop for a float or a bluff into the PFR IMO. Dont know how often we figure PFR is either defensive enough to often lay down TP (hi) or doesnt have an ace.

I think if we attack the pot here we had better have what we are representing most of the time :) If we dont have it we are often bluffing with either 2 outs or backdoors. I like the quote "always leave yourself an out", but I dont like taking it to literally mean "1 is okay" :)