Hand of the Day - Part I

• Stefan1000
      Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em (NL$25) [color:#0000FF](10 handed)[/color] link

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K:spade: , K:heart: .
      UTG calls $0.25, [color:#CC3333]Hero raises to $1.25[/color], [color:#666666]5 folds[/color], Button calls $1.25, [color:#666666]1 folds[/color], BB calls $1.00, UTG calls $1.00.

Flop: ($5.10) 3:club: , Q:diamond: , 3:heart: [color:#0000FF](4 players)[/color]
      BB checks, [color:#CC3333]UTG bets $1.00[/color], [color:#CC3333]Hero raises to $4.00[/color], Button folds, BB folds, UTG calls $3.00.

Turn: ($13.10) 8:heart: [color:#0000FF](2 players)[/color]
      UTG checks, Hero checks.

River: ($13.10) 4:club: [color:#0000FF](2 players)[/color]
      [color:#CC3333]UTG bets $5.00[/color], Hero calls $5.00.

Final Pot: $23.10.
  • 4 replies
    • FaithKoala
      I'd say preflop is fine, especially since hero is at such an early position.
      Now on the flop the pair would make me somewhat cautious, but I do not believe I would play the flop any different.
      I do not understand the turn however. If you decided on the flop that the pair of thees does not hurt your hand, why be as passive on the turn? I would have raised on the turn (assuming I still had anything left). Unless it was to slowplay and give UTG false hope, but in that case I do not understand just calling on the river.

Judging from the simple call preflop from UTG I'd say it is unlikely for him to have QQ or AA.

I would have played the same until turn. Would have raised on the turn to scare away anyone trying to fish for a flush of hearts and also reraise on the river.
    • Stefan1000
      Ok propably the most interesting part of this hand is the turn. The question is of course to check behind or if you should just make an easy bet on the turn.

So first of all it is very unlickyl that our opponent will call with his backdoor flush on the flop also you avoid the danger of getting check/raise on the turn what would be not that nice and he could do that check/raise with the Q but also with trips.

So in the end a check behind seems to be the smarter move here. When you are ahead a lot of hands won't call your turn bet anymore but when you check behind a lot of hands will still bet because you showed some weakness. So finally you get more value out of hands you are ahead against and actually you will loose less when you are behind.

So all in all i recommend against good players who will check/raise their strong hands but fold their weak hands on the turn you should check behind on the turn but you can sometimes fire another bet on the turn against some calling stations who will call anyway here with ace high.
    • Alaton
      Well I like this line against thinking opponents, but against most of the players on NL25$ you miss some value here!
      But as you pointed out, against opponents who are able to fold a Q on the turn this line secures us more value, without giving him many chances to improve!
      (Notice if he pairs his non-ace-kicker your two pair KK33 will still win the pot)
      Important part of this line is that your hand survives most river cards.
      (In this case only an Ace or a Queen scare us on the River)
    • rasputin
      hello. my question is how much a river-bet hero still calls (assuming that both hero and villain have a big stack at the beginning of this hand) if villain is a good/bad player. any ideas?

what's about min-raising at the river? everybody always says 'don't min-raise' but i think min-raising the river is not a bad play. if he has a queen i think we will be called because of the good odds.