7Stud Hi/Lo - Good Fold?

• SalamiandCheese
      SalamiandCheese
      Bronze
      It's so rough trying to stay tight when learning a new variant. This play alright? Well looking at it again after posting it I think this was fine... I think. :f_p:

Full Tilt Poker $0.05/$0.10 Limit Stud Hi/Lo $0.01 Ante - 7 players

3rd Street:
      Seat 1: xx xx Q :spade:
      Seat 3: xx xx A :spade:
      Seat 4: xx xx J :spade:
      Hero: A :heart: J :heart: 2 :heart:
      Seat 6: xx xx 5 :club:
      Seat 7: xx xx 5 :diamond:
      Seat 8: xx xx 6 :spade:

Hero brings in for $0.02, Seat 6 folds, Seat 7 folds, Seat 8 calls, Seat 1 calls, Seat 3 calls, Seat 4 folds

4th Street: (3 SB) (4 players)
      Seat 1: xx xx Q :spade: 8 :heart:
      Seat 3: xx xx A :spade: J :club:
      Hero: A :heart: J :heart: 2 :heart: T :diamond:
      Seat 8: xx xx 6 :spade: 2 :club:

Seat 3 checks, Hero checks, Seat 8 checks, Seat 1 checks

5th Street: (1.5 BB) (4 players)
      Seat 1: xx xx Q :spade: 8 :heart: 3 :club:
      Seat 3: xx xx A :spade: J :club: 3 :heart:
      Hero: A :heart: J :heart: 2 :heart: T :diamond: 3 :diamond:
      Seat 8: xx xx 6 :spade: 2 :club: 9 :spade:

Seat 3 checks, Hero checks, Seat 8 bets, Seat 1 calls, Seat 3 folds, Hero folds

6th Street: (3.5 BB) (2 players)
      Seat 1: xx xx Q :spade: 8 :heart: 3 :club: K :diamond:
      Seat 8: xx xx 6 :spade: 2 :club: 9 :spade: 8 :spade:

Seat 1 checks, Seat 8 bets, Seat 1 calls

7th Street: (5.5 BB) (2 players)
      Seat 1: xx xx Q :spade: 8 :heart: 3 :club: K :diamond: xx
      Seat 8: xx xx 6 :spade: 2 :club: 9 :spade: 8 :spade: xx

Seat 1 checks, Seat 8 bets, Seat 1 calls
  • 5 replies
    • KidPokersKid
      KidPokersKid
      Global
      all your folding is a hand which had backdoor straight, flush and low draws.. and since you didn't even pay why do you think you made the wrong play in folding... I find that Stud8 rewards patience because at low stakes players are way over playing their hands.
    • SalamiandCheese
      SalamiandCheese
      Bronze
      Yeah, I'm posted this without taking a hard look at it myself. Small pot, I'm going both ways, but staying with the hand is just too speculative. So, basically, I played this alright. I'm pretty tight, 20-25% vpip. But the thing is in my last session I won a low and scooped twice in 120 hands. That's a little crazy. I'm going to go find some math for this game. Any suggestions?
    • Jim9137
      Jim9137
      Bronze
      You are not going with that hand both ways, since you are going nowhere with it. Generally, I'd only play this hand in late position after many limpers, and I'd fold any fourth that isn't a heart or a small card. If there are hearts out or a raise, forget it.

Hero was a bringin here, and he gets two cards for free. This is highly desirable, and an important condition which lets you even play these hands when you are not a bringin. I'd like to stress that point; in aggressive tables against loose aggressive people, playing AJ2s is a suicide.

The fold on the fifth is basic. You want to have at least a really good draw or a made hand to have the odds to call there. The pot is 1.5BB, and you need to call 1BB - do the math.

So yes, you did play this hand right, but this hand is one of those hands that many people value way too high. It's generally garbage against low stakes players.
    • SalamiandCheese
      SalamiandCheese
      Bronze
      Thx Jim9137.

Yes, valuing draws too high is something I need to work on before I make a move up to .25/.50. I'm barely staying break-even as it is after my last session which was -20BB's over 80 hands, almost all missed draws, i.e. me beating myself instead of getting beat by better play. :f_p:
    • Jim9137
      Jim9137
      Bronze
      I can tell that the inside session variance tends to be around 20-40BB for 100-300 hands, as is common for stud (you get stuck in a pot, miss a draw, then do that again...) However, longterm downswings - as I understand, are relatively uncommon unlike in Hold'em or regular stud, so you usually know how you are playing if you are going up or down.

The .25/.50 level at FTP tended to be bad. I've played up to 3/6, and about there you get opposition. Do beware that there are very good players even as low as .10/.20, though; some not necessarily because of their skills, but rather because of their playing company. :f_biggrin:

The PS articles are the best I've seen on the subject. If you have any doubts, reread, study, comprehend - the split nature of the game leads to unorthodox plays, but you'll get used to it. GL. :f_pleased: