Reading people online

• Computerized
      Computerized
      Bronze
      We all know how important it is to be able to read people while playing poker. But how do you do that while playing online? Do you have any personal tips or strategies that help you?

Is it all about betting patterns? Does the avatar play any role? How fast an opponent acts?

General online "tells" thread.
  • 24 replies
    • wowadvisor
      wowadvisor
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Computerized
      Is it all about betting patterns? Does the avatar play any role? How fast an opponent acts?
      yes! thats what i look at when im folding hands and nothing to do! i also use a software called "Hold em indicator" which gives all people at the table an icon like FISH or MOUSE or DOG... etc

mice will fold to most conti bets as they are afraid..

fish are bad players obviously..

dogs extremely aggresive and loose.. only play against them when you are ahead of them as they will make it very expensive for you to play against them. they bluff a lot.

ETC! :f_thumbsup:
    • luitzen
      luitzen
      Bronze
      I believe that in real life betting pattern can give you more important tells than any physical observation.

Online this becomes your sole method to get tells. Forget about avatars, nicknames or the chatbox as someone will rarely reveal anything about his hand in the chat window.

It may be easier to get tells when you're playing at less tables at the same time. Also any poker software with a HUD will aid you by collecting and displaying stats while you're playing. In the various strategy articles you learn how certain stats might help you to improve your game.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Reading people is about giving them ranges of hands and narrowing em down through preflop/flop/turn/river actions. You can almost never say "that guy has pocket sevens" and don't believe DN when he gets lucky at guessing the actual hand, sometimes it's possible to put opponent on certain hand if he's pretty much straightforward and his range is polarized but actually most of the time you give your opponent certain range and if you beat majority of that range it's profitable for you to continue playing the hand. Meh, my english really sucks, would exlain it better othervise. :D
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      Stack Size
      Timing tells
      Chat
      VIP level
      Area
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Originally posted by LemOn36
      Stack Size
      Timing tells
      Chat
      VIP level
      Area
      Timing tells is no good, I play 12 tables and used to play 24, so sometimes it just takes me a while to get to that table and press the required action, and as soon as a table pings up I act.... So void tell.

Also, Area..... Not a tell.

Chat, meh fine line...

Also, stack size isn't great tbh.....

VIP level is a good indicator, but even a losing player with lots of cash can get VIP status.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MrMardyBum
      Stack Size
      Timing tells
      Chat
      VIP level
      Area
      Timing tells is no good, I play 12 tables and used to play 24, so sometimes it just takes me a while to get to that table and press the required action, and as soon as a table pings up I act.... So void tell.

Chat, meh fine line...

VIP level is a good indicator, but even a losing player with lots of cash can get VIP status.
      I remember once i joined a table and one guy was crying that the other one chased his FD against the odds so i thought to myself, "he's full stack, gets pissed when some1 outdraws him against odds, he must be nit!" but then i got stacked by him in 4bet pot (or maybe 3bet, don't remember now) when his 76o did hit trips vs my overpair. :D
      As for VIP status, as i'm playing in micros at pokerstars, so the only VIP status that tells much is when supernova joins the table.
      Stack size is good tell, midstacks usually suck one or other way.
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      You get to a NL50 table and someone is sat with $150...?
      Looks to indicate he is a good player, could very easily be a donkey that got lucky twice....

No indication what-so-ever
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      You get to a NL50 table and someone is sat with $150...?
      Looks to indicate he is a good player, could very easily be a donkey that got lucky twice....

No indication what-so-ever
      Well yeah, and i won't try to argue because it's true, but at the same time it's true that midstacks most of the time are bad.
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Could be someone like me playing SSS, and then I wait for the blinds to reach before sitting out... Or a short stacker that has doubled up and doesn't follow SSS.... Completely void
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Could be someone like me playing SSS, and then I wait for the blinds to reach before sitting out... Or a short stacker that has doubled up and doesn't follow SSS.... Completely void
      Well, i was talking with SH in mind. :) As for FR if he's waiting for the blinds, you won't see him very long, few hands and he's gone and even if i'd get to play a hand against himt he'd be at disadvantage with such stack and rarely would get his money in good. If he doesn't follow SSS then again he fits into bad players category.
    • sliggy
      sliggy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Computerized
      We all know how important it is to be able to read people while playing poker. But how do you do that while playing online? Do you have any personal tips or strategies that help you?

General online "tells" thread.
      Everything is a tell. Avatar, stack size, stats, number of tables, everything! If his stack is around 90BB it means he hasn't got autoreload on, which means he's probably not a regular. If a guy is on 16 tables you can 3bet him like crazy because he's not going to realize that you are continually doing it.

Betting patterns and tendencies are obv the most important thing when it comes to handreading. If you're paying attention to a player you can very accurately guess what kind of hand he has. The more information you have the more accurate your assessment will be. You need to pay attention to how he plays draws, made hands, what his range is preflop, etc. etc.

A handrange only narrows per street. If it's impossible for somebody to have a deuce on the flop, and another comes on the turn you can still exclude a deuce from his range. You don't all of a sudden add it.

Just put yourself in the mind of your opponent. Every move he makes, ask yourself how it lines up with his tendencies and his possible handrange. If he's setmining a lot and folding when he hits, and checkraising every time he hits, and you've got bottom set, you might be able to fold it (this is with a concrete read of course).

If you have top pair and your opponent is on a pot control line. Valuebet your top pair no kicker on the river because in all likelihood he's calling with 2nd pair there a lot.

Handreading is an art, there are no methods or rules of thumb. It just takes experience, self-reliance, and observation. You have to make sure that you don't miss any important information.
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS
      Well, i was talking with SH in mind. :) As for FR if he's waiting for the blinds, you won't see him very long, few hands and he's gone and even if i'd get to play a hand against himt he'd be at disadvantage with such stack and rarely would get his money in good. If he doesn't follow SSS then again he fits into bad players category.
      Not true, there are millions of strategies out there, could be following 5% BR rule, where you never buyin for more than 5% of your bankroll.
    • Hackett77
      Hackett77
      Bronze
      Bet patterns are the key but I find equally as important is timing, sometimes with certain players you can almost feel the hesitation before they bet.

Somewhere in between a quick bet and taking along time to bet can often be an indicator of an attempt to steal a pot.

Also, what I do sometimes is time myself to them, if I had a real good hand there or bluff chance at what stage would my brain be thinking, check no fuck it bet etc. try and get into their mindset but obviously you need to have alot of hands on the player and know how the play certain hands to do this in the first place
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NightFrostaSS
      Not true, there are millions of strategies out there, could be following 5% BR rule, where you never buyin for more than 5% of your bankroll.
      5% BR rule doesn't have anything to do with amount of big blinds that you buyin.
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      It dictates the amount of cash you can bring to a table, therefore the amount of BB's you have?!
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      It dictates the amount of cash you can bring to a table, therefore the amount of BB's you have?!
      No it means that you can play the stakes if one buyin is no more than 5% of your roll and 1 buyin is either 100 big blinds for BSS, or 20 for SSS and also might be 200bb for deep stacked tables. It's never 50bb or other weird amount.
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Wrong the 5% Buyin rule (not from this site) does not dictate which tables you can sit at, only that you never take more than 5%.

I did play with it.... Lol
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Wrong the 5% Buyin rule (not from this site) does not dictate which tables you can sit at, only that you never take more than 5%.

I did play with it.... Lol
      Well it's definetly not from 2+2 either. It's -EV to play midstacked if player can only buy in midstacked for the stakes he wants to play according to 5% rule it's much better to play lower stakes. The only times when midstack play is ok is on high stakes when shark gets position on midstacked fish but other sharks has position on him so he buyis in only for the amount enough to cover the fish.
    • LemOn36
      LemOn36
      Coach
      Coach
      Stack Size
      Timing tells
      Chat
      VIP level
      Area

Chat, meh fine line...

We are talking thinking players that 4 table, not your child stakes that you can 20 table Shortstack or whatever gay thingy you do at 24 tables -.-.

And have you ever seen someone splashing money from Somalia? Didn't think so.

Chat obviously. If you use chat to your advantage than the tells you pick up are great :)

Stack size is a huge tell, and not paying attention to it is a huge leak. Lower stacked players tend to be generally bad and looser