Tilt!!

• highsocietypro
      highsocietypro
      Bronze
      OK lets not BS each other we all go on tilt, even the best players if you dont congrats but everyone else who could chuck the laptop out of the nearest window when for the 10th time running some f-ing moron has sucked out lets try to help each other!

So anyone please come forward with your best tilt cures this is my hour of need and dont say luck will even out blar blar cos yes it will but at the time you could slap your granny your that pissed off i should know not that i have slapped her but this is my 2nd laptop as laptop one did get some free air miles!!!
  • 16 replies
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      My cures:

Mildly tilting - recognise the fact and refocus on playing an optimal game.

Seriously tilting - stop playing.

But that's just me.
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Waiboy
      My cures:

Mildly tilting - recognise the fact and refocus on playing an optimal game.

Seriously tilting - stop playing.

But that's just me.
      this.

And I feel it gets easier to manage with experience
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      Hello highsocietypro,

There is some good advice in this article about Tilt Management that you may find useful.

Also they are other good articles in the Psychology section that may be of use as well.

Kind Regards,
      -Steve
    • rhinoneil
      rhinoneil
      Bronze
      As soon as you feel that you are not playing your best game, for whatever reason, tilt, tiredness, etc, take a break. If you are in a tourny, just take 5/10 mins, have a fag, a beer, some drugs, a quick encounter with five fingered Mary, whatever your particular vice is to take your mind off poker.
      Then go back into the lions den and concentrate on losing your ego, dont hold a grudge and dont try to get even with the bastard who just took your chips.
    • highsocietypro
      highsocietypro
      Bronze
      nice post thanks alot! :D
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Originally posted by rhinoneil
      As soon as you feel that you are not playing your best game, for whatever reason, tilt, tiredness, etc, take a break. If you are in a tourny, just take 5/10 mins, have a fag, a beer, some drugs, a quick encounter with five fingered Mary, whatever your particular vice is to take your mind off poker.
      Then go back into the lions den and concentrate on losing your ego, dont hold a grudge and dont try to get even with the bastard who just took your chips.
      Actually thats a red flag right there in my case; trying to "get even" or "get my chips back". When I start thinking this way, I re-focus on playing well, not on how big his stack is now.
    • Hackett77
      Hackett77
      Bronze
      Breathe.

Breathing properly is so important to all situations of high concentration or stress. What I mean by properly is deepbreathes with a pause between inhale and exhale.

If your breathing right your abdomen should expand more than your chest, if your breathing wrong your chest expands more as your taking short, quick anxious breaths.

Breathing properly helps you keep composed, calm, focused and in control, which is basically the opposite to how you are when you are on tilt or pissed off about something in life in general.
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Hackett77
      Breathe.

Breathing properly is so important to all situations of high concentration or stress. What I mean by properly is deepbreathes with a pause between inhale and exhale.

If your breathing right your abdomen should expand more than your chest, if your breathing wrong your chest expands more as your taking short, quick anxious breaths.

Breathing properly helps you keep composed, calm, focused and in control, which is basically the opposite to how you are when you are on tilt or pissed off about something in life in general.
      x2

Also I open youtube and play "relaxation" music sometimes.
    • Parasites
      Parasites
      Bronze
      Take a break from poker. Don't play, don't watch it on TV don't think about it. That's what I did for a couple of weeks after I realised that I was on tilt all the time, even when I was not playing. When I started playing again , I made some cash =)
      Change your poker room. You might associate the current one with bad players and /or bad luck...
      I am having trouble with anger management so when I tilt, I tilt for days.
      I need long breaks to get my s%%t together.
      Try to stay away from tourneys for a while. A bad beat there , especially if you are deep or near the final table is rough. Read some books before returning to the tables. It's never a waste of time patching those leaks in your game.
      Good luck =)
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      Breathe.

this is obviously bullshit....

the exact opposite is true: STOP BREATHING -> stop tilting. Problem solved in 5 minutes. Oxygen is overrated imo
    • Yoghi
      Yoghi
      Black
      I try to be like Mike Matusow, so tilting is part of my game.

But seriously, if you tilt there's something wrong :)
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Gold
      Originally posted by viewer88
      Breathe.

this is obviously bullshit....

the exact opposite is true: STOP BREATHING -> stop tilting. Problem solved in 5 minutes. Oxygen is overrated imo

Lol.... :f_biggrin:
    • straddler71
      straddler71
      Global
      I don't really go on tilt that much. I never really did in the beginning but we are all affected by it. Very rarely will I curse at the computer monitor. Or do anything more drastic then that. But we are all affected by it and when I am on tilt I find myself playing more hands, hands that I shouldn't even be playing in an attempt to get the money I lost, back. Really if you are a bad tilting player I would recommend taking a break from the tables for awhile and go and do something else for awhile and come back to it later.
    • NiekamNeidomu
      NiekamNeidomu
      Bronze
      when i feal pissed off.. or need to relax..i just turn on wc3 ! take orc's and tower every1.. option b i go train ~_~
      option c) sparring match xD with some1! ( warrning if you r donk ! you can hurt your self xD )
      and option d) i eat when im upset ! xD (girls do that more xD but icecream+juice = superb drink to cool down ^^)
    • rhinoneil
      rhinoneil
      Bronze
      I actually started playing last night on tilt for no apparent reason. Obviously my mind set just wasnt ready for poker.
      I normally play a tight aggressive game in sngs but last night I opened 2 6 seater $10 games at FT and played really loose and passive, dusting off half my chips on the first 2 levels with weak calls. I cant even remember the hand I busted with on the first table but the on the second I pushed form SB to a BU raise with a monstrous hand of K9 off and wasnt in the least surprised when he called with AQs.
      I followed by own advise and took a 10 minute break to have a very stern word with myself then went back to the table and played like a dream.
      Mad isnt it?
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Originally posted by rhinoneil
      I actually started playing last night on tilt for no apparent reason. Obviously my mind set just wasnt ready for poker.
      I normally play a tight aggressive game in sngs but last night I opened 2 6 seater $10 games at FT and played really loose and passive, dusting off half my chips on the first 2 levels with weak calls. I cant even remember the hand I busted with on the first table but the on the second I pushed form SB to a BU raise with a monstrous hand of K9 off and wasnt in the least surprised when he called with AQs.
      I followed by own advise and took a 10 minute break to have a very stern word with myself then went back to the table and played like a dream.
      Mad isnt it?
      Yesterday I only played one short boring,losing session; I was planning to play another but I felt too uneasy,bored,tired and decided not to play the rest of the day and went to see "Gran Torino"(9/10) with Clint Eastwood instead.