I'm down 20+ BI over 25,000 hands **Updated** upswing

• ShinShya
      ShinShya
      Bronze
      Hello,

I've played BSS 6 max, over about 500,000 hands in the last year (before I found this site). I've been playing full ring SSS strategy over about 25,000 hands. I know this is a small sample size, but nearly every session is a losing one (rant). I'm having the exact same problem with SSS that I was having with BSS which is, my showdown winnings are through the roof, but my won without show down are through the ground... Further in the ground than my show down winnings are up, so I'm constantly in the hole + rakeback/bonuses = a very marginal winner, but nothing to brag about.

I've been reading/watching vids and playing basically non stop since I started here. I'll watch a vid or read an article (very good articles here btw), apply the concepts they teach then move on, but I'm still having the issue.

Maybe I can post some stats, hands with certain criteria, possibly get a sweat session (does PS.com condone that?) etc, just let me know what you need to diagnose.

I'm not really looking for a hand out, I haven't been able to contribute to this forum yet (I plan too), so to compensate I'm willing to pay for advice if need be. <--- not made of money go easy <3

Oh, btw, the limits I was playing as BSS was 25NL - 100NL. The strat with SSS I'm currently @ 50NL.

Thanks!

Edit: I was just checking out my stats on PTer and I'm winning in every seat, except the blinds (BB and SB).

BUTTON $83 up
      1 $86 up
      2 $28 up
      3 $75 up
      4 $41 up
      5 $31 up
      6 $24 up
      BB $348 down. Diff w/o blinds $196 up
      SB $148 down. Diff w/o blinds $121 up

= ~ 128 down total. (this is based off of about 10k sample) I have another data base with the other 15k hands and it has about the same result.

Edit: Maybe I could just record a session of me 4 tabling SSS strat, then host it somewhere. I'll get to work on that.

*******UPDATE*******

Just to give an update, over the last 10k hands I've hit a very big upswing, 20+ BIs up from the 20 BI downswing. Obviously things are easier to say while I'm running well, but I feel that I've really grasped a few major concepts and its helping a lot, maybe they can help you too. A few that I think are crucial:

1) I'm stealing a lot more vs opponents that will fold
      2) I'm re-stealing with marginal-solid hands to CO/button stealers (depending on their stats).
      3) I'm really getting a feel for peoples hand ranges, and thus, I can put them off of it, or drag them along (which ever is better for the moment)
      4) Understanding position and using it to my advantage. I already knew how important it is, just not in the pot control way. Now that I've discovered and fully understand pot control, I've seen great results.

I went from losing a few BB/100 over a decent sample to making .5 BB/100. That doesn't sound like a lot, but coming out of the red was rough and destroyed any hopes of having a good winrate. Now that I'm in the green, skies the limit, I just have to put in the hands

Anyway, seeing the green using the SSS feels great, as opposed to the deep red I was in. Hopefully if you concentrate on these areas I listed it will help you too.

If you have any questions, I will answer them the best I can.

<3

*** Another update ***

I'm up another 30 BIs. I'm making 1.09ptbb/100. With win rate / Rake / Bonuses, I'm up about 1k for the last month playing @ .25/.50. over 55k hands.
  • 9 replies
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      Hi ShinShya,

Sorry to hear about your downswing. I think maybe you need to take a little break as you say you are playing non stop. That can be very stressful and a lot of people can't handle to play all the time, the tables will still be there when you get back.

Have you read the psychology articles? It can be good to study the theoretical side of poker sometimes, the self management article can be very helpful.

It is also impossible to be a winning player from the blinds, you just have to try limit your losses here by not getting too involved with top pairs and weak kickers, or draws.

Try posting hands in the SSS hand sample forum, and there will be sweat sessions you can sign up for before the end of the month, keep a look out in the NL discussion forum.

I wish you the best of luck overcoming your downswing.

Regards,
      Sarah
    • ShinShya
      ShinShya
      Bronze
      Sarah,

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. I will take a look at those articles you mentioned and keep my eye out for the sweat session sign up.
    • FirestormX
      FirestormX
      Bronze
      Hey Shin, glad to hear that you managed to turn it around.

I'm curious as to what stats you look for when doing 1. and 2. on your list. I don't think that's my major issue at the moment, but it'd be good to know what a fellow SSS is doing.
    • ShinShya
      ShinShya
      Bronze
      Originally posted by FirestormX
      Hey Shin, glad to hear that you managed to turn it around.

I'm curious as to what stats you look for when doing 1. and 2. on your list. I don't think that's my major issue at the moment, but it'd be good to know what a fellow SSS is doing.
      Firestormx,

1) If I have a couple tight players in the blinds, I'll raise with any two cards. Their stats would be something in the range of 4 vpip - 15 vpip... I've even been raising it up against 17-20 vpip as of late, and putting a note on them if they fire back or call.

2) If its folded to the button, I'm in the blinds and the button raises (depending on how much he raises) I have a good mind to shove, depending on the stats. So for example:

I'm in the SB and its folded to the button who is 14 vpip 10 PFR 2.5 total aggro. That's pretty solid stats, however, if his attempt to steal stat is high say around 30-35% I'll shove pocket 6's 7's 8's AQ AJ AT KQs etc. You are just way to far ahead of his range to not get it in. What happens most of the time is he will just fold, and you make good money. If he calls, you aren't sad either though, he is usually behind thinking you are putting some big bluff move on him.
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Why don't you just use a HUD with the Fold to steal stats on it?
    • ShinShya
      ShinShya
      Bronze
      I do, that stat just takes a lot of hands with an opponent before its accurate. So unless I have a lot of hands, I just use a general rule: If they are tight, raise any two, if they are very loose only raise decent-good hands
    • kingdippy2008
      kingdippy2008
      Bronze
      Well in SSS the blind should be the most profitable place to play as with more advanced SSS focuses on blind steals and resteals.

Work on your game and keep analyzing is all i say ;)

Best of luck,

-Jack
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kingdippy2008
      Well in SSS the blind should be the most profitable place to play as with more advanced SSS focuses on blind steals and resteals.

Work on your game and keep analyzing is all i say ;)

Best of luck,

-Jack
      This....
    • FirestormX
      FirestormX
      Bronze
      Thanks all... I just got back from taking a short break. I was 40BI below expectation and starting to get frustrated.

There is still a lot to learn, especially in relation to the stealing/restealing. The limits I'm playing right now however are quite profitable without stealing too aggressivly. (Assuming I'm running anywhere near expectation)