Hand of the Day - Part II

• Alaton
      Alaton
      Black
      ShortStackStrategy

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($398.50)
      UTG+1 ($987)
      MP1 ($1581.50)
      MP2 ($104)
      MP3 ($443)
      CO ($997)
      Button ($4106.50)
      SB ($2701.75)
      Hero ($200)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T:spade: , T:heart: . SB posts a blind of $5.
      UTG calls $10, [color:#CC3333]UTG+1 raises to $40[/color], [color:#666666]3 folds[/color], CO calls $40, Button calls $40, SB (poster) calls $35, [color:#CC3333]Hero ???[/color]
  • 7 replies
    • FaithKoala
      FaithKoala
      Bronze
      If I were to follow the SSS SHC precisely this situation would mean a raise for the hero.
      I am not sure, maybe it is because the bets are far bigger than on the limits I am used to, but I would probably fold that hand.

It all depends on the opponents of course, but the chance of people calling the reraise is too big, or actually too many people calling the reraise is too big.
      If nobody has a stronger hand yet they are very likely to hit one on the board. With that many people in the hand any card higher than a 10 is already too dangerous.
      And the Hero really only has just 2 cards in the deck remaining that would improve the hand.

Every player who is already in the hand has a relatively big stack though so there might not be a better hand out there and they could be fishing for something, but I still would not raise or even call the hand.

So basically the way I see it there are two options: Big enough reraise to cause all the fishers to fold or a fold for the hero.
    • howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      Folding is absolutely not an option, we're getting fantastic odds to play a pocket pair here (although a reraise from UTG is possible) and we'll get payed off for certain if we hit a set.

Even putting our money in now is probably profitable. Although we will get called practically every time and are behind likely calling ranges, the dead money should make it right. I prefer playing for the set though, this is a nearly ideal opportunity.
    • FaithKoala
      FaithKoala
      Bronze
      I'd play this hand on my limits, but 40 bucks for this seems too much to risk at this point :p. I'll reevaluate once I get that high
    • undercover82
      undercover82
      Bronze
      i think on short stack this might not be worthy enough to play. UTG is probably the only one who has a chance to have a higher pocket pair than TT ,or else there would have been a reraise. The rest will probably have some overcards though. If hero goes all in chances are someone with call with overcards or a and at least one of them will probably drop. A higher PP would also win.
      If we call , the chances of getting a set on the flop are pretty small i guess. Then out of the 4 people someone will probably make a large raise which most of the time depending on board texture wont be very cost effective to call.

From my small experience i think pocket tens are not a very good hand against many opponents. With 3 people having called a raise i think usually the only chance of winning the hand will be a 3rd T dropping on the flop.
      With a normal stack i would probably call this raise easily.
    • howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      We're very nearly getting immediate odds to play for the set, which obviously makes this right even for a short stack. As long as we don't throw away money on the flop when we miss calling is very +EV.

For pushing all in, I plugged some plausible hand ranges for one and two callers into pokerstove and got sufficient equity to make even that +EV, although calling is clearly preferable.
    • Alaton
      Alaton
      Black
      The odds really don't allow a fold here.
      The pot is 210$ before we call and we only have to call 30$.
      Our chance to hit a set is 11%, and we only invest 12,5% of the total 240$ pot we create.
      So we only have to win a few bucks if we hit, and we can be pretty sure to win big if we hit, so calling is a good play here!

It is very hard to estimate how good the push is though.
      It could well be better, just imagine you get called by AK only, or something like that, which would leave us as a favorite for a 560$ pot!

In the actual hand, hero decided to push All-In and got lucky on the flop.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($398.50)
      UTG+1 ($987)
      MP1 ($1581.50)
      MP2 ($104)
      MP3 ($443)
      CO ($997)
      Button ($4106.50)
      SB ($2701.75)
      Hero ($200)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T:spade: , T:heart: . SB posts a blind of $5.
      UTG calls $10, [color:#CC3333]UTG+1 raises to $40[/color], [color:#666666]3 folds[/color], CO calls $40, Button calls $40, SB (poster) calls $35, [color:#CC3333]Hero raises to $200 (All-In)[/color], UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, CO calls $160, Button calls $160, SB folds.

Flop: ($690) 5:spade: , T:diamond: , 2:diamond: [color:#0000FF](3 players, 1 all-in)[/color]
      [color:#CC3333]CO bets $200[/color], Button folds.

Turn: ($890) 3:spade: [color:#0000FF](2 players, 1 all-in)[/color]

River: ($890) 8:diamond: [color:#0000FF](2 players, 1 all-in)[/color]

Final Pot: $890
    • Korn
      Korn
      Bronze
      I would also push all-in here, playing with a short stack, going for set value is usually not a good option with hands like TT+. And there's lots of dead money in the pot as well (i.e. lots of callers who might be weak and fold to our push)