[NL20-NL50] NL50SH - AK in UTG

• nttflox
      nttflox
      Bronze
      Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

CO ($50.20)
      Button ($98.75)
      SB ($264.15)
      BB ($39.45)
      Hero (UTG) ($50)
      MP ($50)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K, A
      Hero bets $1.75, MP raises to $6, 4 folds, Hero calls $4.25

Flop: ($12.75) K, 10, 6 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP bets $8, Hero calls $8

Turn: ($28.75) 2 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP checks

River: ($28.75) 7 (2 players)
      Hero bets $15, 1 fold

Total pot: $28.75 | Rake: $1.40

Villain is a TAG, something like 10/7. I would give him a very tight range. What's the best play in this kind of situations? I always feel like I'm not getting paid enough when I hit and I have him beat, and that I'm paying him off a lot more when I hit and he has aces or sets.
  • 13 replies
    • Hackett77
      Hackett77
      Bronze
      I think maybe I would of checkrasied flop.

This way you see where you are as if he goes over the top you can be pretty sure he has AA or Set K (possibly AK to but less likely?). But you still have a decision to make which is where your stats and reads on him can help

You also get the possibility of the the extra value as he is more likely to call the raise with a weaker K, AQ or underpair to see the turn as he already invested then he is call another bet on the turn or river with that range.
    • Verre
      Verre
      Bronze
      Instead of checking the turn I would have made a donk bet for about 1/2 the pot. His $8 dollar bet screamed c-bet and if you reraised you may have run into something big.

The donkbet on the turn usually will give the guy enough value to call with a K mid kicker and then gives him once again the right odds to call a 1/2 pot raise on the river with TPMK. That is the best way to squeeze the most value out of this in my opinion.

That being said the way you played it is the way I would play it because I'm somewhat of a Nit when it comes to playing against a 10/7 in a 6 handed table. Thats incredibly tight to the point that you have to be fearful of a monster everytime you play him.
    • Diedobal
      Diedobal
      Bronze
      min4bet/fold to shove.

or just fold preflop vs this ultra nit.
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Diedobal
      min4bet/fold to shove.

or just fold preflop vs this ultra nit.
      10/7 is not ultra nit.

4-bet, get it in pre-flop.
      If you do not like variance your line is fine too I think.

But even if you bet turn he will most probably fold.
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      check-raise flop ftw.

min4bet/fold to shove.

why 4bet-bluffing with AK ?(
    • caltabiano
      caltabiano
      Bronze
      This guy is raising the tightest of the tightest of the ranges. 7% PFR reraising a UTG raiser. I give him QQ+, AK ONLY.

c/r the flop could be a good idea, cause we might get him off AK. However, I don't like the idea of getting shoved over, cause we're pretty commited and we'll often be behind when he does that.
      If we choose to c/r, I like the idea of c/rAI for maximum FE.
      Most of his range consists of AK and QQ. He's folding QQ against any agression. We could minRR him on the flop and he'd fold. I'm not sure what it takes to get him off AK though. I'm not sure it's possible, but I think it could be against such a nit.

Since c/r commits us anyway, let's just c/rAI and hope he folds his AK and who knows, maybe even AA? (That might be asking for too much though :P )

**EDIT: forgot to mention, folding pre-flop could be a good idea against this guy =)
    • Snodreliss
      Snodreliss
      Silver
      You flop nuts, raise flop and ship turn.
    • Verre
      Verre
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Snodreliss
      You flop nuts, raise flop and ship turn.
      Last I checked TPTK is not nuts. It could be considered close agaisnt a looser player, but against this opponent you have to be more careful.
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      normally TPTK in 3bet pot is the nuts.
    • Diedobal
      Diedobal
      Bronze
      Originally posted by alejandrosh
      check-raise flop ftw.

min4bet/fold to shove.

why 4bet-bluffing with AK ?(
      Because if the Allin happens Postflop your 95% crushed.

min4bet to let AK/QQ fold (10/7 guys can muck this). And fold to a shove cause he'll only shove AA/KK preflop.
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      what I ment is that AK is a good hand , why turning it into a bluff preflop? better use a Ace-rag for that
    • Diedobal
      Diedobal
      Bronze
      Originally posted by alejandrosh
      what I ment is that AK is a good hand , why turning it into a bluff preflop? better use a Ace-rag for that
      Because AK/AQ/AJ/AT/..A2 all play the same in this situation vs supernit (10/7). Even if you hit Axx or Kxx or AKx flop with AK after calling 3bet preflop you'll never get it happy. There I'd min4bet preflop to let him fold JJ/QQ/AK. If he shoves over your 4bet you have an easy muck: you lost 20bb but vs AA/KK range you only have like 20% chance ((30% + 6%)/2). Which means do a very -ev call (80bb).

-> I prefer to pick up a small pot preflop with my min4bet, which allows me to fold to shove (and lose 20bb), where calling his shove (either on flop or preflop) would be a mathematically loss of 80bb.

You'll never win a big pot imo.

NOTE: All based on SH play, where 10/7 is THE ultranit.

In order of best ways to play this hand, vs this particular villain:
      1. Fold to 3bet preflop. (best)
      2. min4bet/fold to shove preflop.
      3. Call and see a flop.
      4. 4bet and call a shove. (worst)
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      being oop, just 4-bet pf and get all-in
      If you´re aggressive pf, players would shove there with worse hands than yours (like AQ)
      Flop should be c/r, you´re not really representing anything and doubt that he´d fold ever there Kx hand