Correctable Leaks List

• mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      After reviewing my 12000 hands with the SSS from April and May so far I've found the following leaks that I should work very hard to correct:

1. Playing hands when out of position.

2. Playing some hands that are not listed in the SHC.

3. Committing more money than needed on flops with overcards or when I don't hit.

4. I should only limp pocket pairs in Late position and not from Middle position

5. Play only the AA and KK hands after I double/get more than 25 bbs on a table.

6. I don't think I should reraise UTG raises with JJ, QQ, AK, only with AA and KK. Only call and reevaluate on the flop.

Damn, I need to commit those things in memory and try not do them again. It's so annoying doing this crap over and over again. What's worse is that most of those leaks are recent, they showed up when I started using sophisticated crap like limping pocket pairs and playing out of position. I clearly don't have the experience needed to play this way. When I was sticking to the basic SSS things were going smoothly as I am not prone to tilting and I am not upset by bad beats.

So what are your correctable leaks?
  • 21 replies
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      Hi mishkagg,

Its good that you have noticed these leaks, as the only way to move forward as a poker player is improving your game and fixing leaks.

I can't say what mine are at the moment but I think I've been playing bad trying to reach a milestone. Sometimes I think its best not to think about the money side of poker, n just improving yourself as a player.

Regards,
      Sarah
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      My biggest leak, chasing promotions.....

Checking the status of my BR mid session way to often.... I've tried well hard not to like, but, I can't stop doing it...

Blind steals..... :D . Sometimes I take them to far....
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      Call UTG raises playing SSS? NO
    • SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      I did this too when I started. Raised things like QTo/KTo/KJo under the gun. Re-raised peoples UTG raises with these hands as well.

I'm glad that's changed.
    • NiekamNeidomu
      NiekamNeidomu
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MrMardyBum
      My biggest leak, chasing promotions.....

Checking the status of my BR mid session way to often.... I've tried well hard not to like, but, I can't stop doing it...

Blind steals..... :D . Sometimes I take them to far....
      checking br in mid of sessions +few bad beats will lead you to tilt xD
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      6. I don't think I should reraise UTG raises with JJ, QQ, AK, only with AA and KK. Only call and reevaluate on the flop.

never call and evaluate playing sss, never ever ever. and keep raising JJ QQ AK unless you have a powerfull reason to not do it.
    • bordzter
      bordzter
      Bronze
      i recommend that you attend coaching sessions to plug the leaks in your play. that way you will know why certain hands are played the way they are and to learn directly from the coaches how to interpret elephant or PT3 stats
    • monkey0nfire
      monkey0nfire
      Bronze
      I have found i have a special weakness for 44 or A8o... i have no idea why i always overplay them and they are major downfalls in my otherwise upward gain in BR.

In l8 position i like to play (limp in, or raise if the blinds are folding machines) suited aces and hands like T9-98s...is that advisible in SSS??
      I agree i check my br far too often, and i set my limit to leave the table at $4 instead of the $2.50 it states, thats simply becoz on party poker theres a 45min w8 b4 u can reenter a table, so i make it a bit more worthwhile...
      I think also i wait until im UTG before leaving a table after ive made my $4..just so i can see free hands b4 i leave and hope to wake up with a large pocket pair..
      This is just on baby stakes atm 5c/10c but what do u guys think?
      Thanks
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      Originally posted by alejandrosh

never call and evaluate playing sss, never ever ever. and keep raising JJ QQ AK unless you have a powerfull reason to not do it.
      I believe I have a reason: JJ, QQ and AK are behind in equity vs the UTG openraising range. Of course I won't call. I don't know why I wrote that. I fold them to a UTG raise.
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      Originally posted by bordzter
      i recommend that you attend coaching sessions to plug the leaks in your play. that way you will know why certain hands are played the way they are and to learn directly from the coaches how to interpret elephant or PT3 stats
      Yes, I'd like to but I can't attend them as I am busy at the time the coachings are on so I have to struggle by my own analysis and when I am stuck I post some hands.
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mishkagg
      Originally posted by alejandrosh

I believe I have a reason: JJ, QQ and AK are behind in equity vs the UTG openraising range. Of course I won't call. I don't know why I wrote that. I fold them to a UTG raise.
      If you are playing with stats you can see which player raises tight enough for this to be truth. but most players will raise loose enough to 3bet JJ , QQ (he has to be soo tight to not raise that) or AK
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      alejandrosh, I see your point and with stats it's easier to decide, yes. I mean if the UTG has a PFR of like 20 I'd go for it and if it's the top of his range, so be it.
      But when I don't have stats or when they are not good enough I'd rather use the pokerstrategy TAG openraising range in UTG as a comparison to my JJ, QQ and AK. And against this I am behind, that was my point.
      Queens are a 47% dog, AK's like 40% and JJ is 36,6. KK wins 62% and AA 83%. So that's why I think new players like me should be as tight as possible vs UTG raises.
    • Termi8r
      Termi8r
      Bronze
      On average on the low limits NL10 and NL25 you an comfortably re-raise with AK and JJ, and always QQ+. If you have stats and the player UTG is very tight or a fellow SSS player then play only QQ+ in my opinion.
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      the thing is that most players don't play by shc :D

my point is, don't reraise JJ and AK against people you know , unknowns just stick to the basic strategy
    • excelgeo
      excelgeo
      Silver
      number 3 is killing me too
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      Originally posted by excelgeo
      number 3 is killing me too
      After I did this list I do those things very rarely, almost never actually. So it might be helpful for you to do something similar and repeat it like 300 times just to engrave it in your brain. :f_biggrin:
    • andyb43
      andyb43
      Bronze
      Remembering to fit my catheter correctly helps fix leaks............. :f_biggrin:
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      After reviewing my 12000 hands with the SSS from April and May so far I've found the following leaks that I should work very hard to correct:

1. Playing hands when out of position.

2. Playing some hands that are not listed in the SHC.

3. Committing more money than needed on flops with overcards or when I don't hit.

4. I should only limp pocket pairs in Late position and not from Middle position

5. Play only the AA and KK hands after I double/get more than 25 bbs on a table.

Damn, I need to commit those things in memory and try not do them again. It's so annoying doing this crap over and over again. What's worse is that most of those leaks are recent, they showed up when I started using sophisticated crap like limping pocket pairs and playing out of position. I clearly don't have the experience needed to play this way. When I was sticking to the basic SSS things were going smoothly as I am not prone to tilting and I am not upset by bad beats.

So what are your correctable leaks?
      Learn a bit of BSS on the side, it may help you increase the confidence you have with a bigger stack? Just play 30 mins a day real low limit till ya get the real jist of it, then you have a little comeback in these situations, and if the table is real fishy. And you are paying with good brm, you can flip to BSS and really milk it... Means being a bit more tight with bankroll, but I could see this paying off well... Constantly changing your style, with an effortless flick of the switch when you find a good table and faultless execution into the BSS you could be on a winner.

Just a thought I am throwing around :)

In relation to Number 5 :)
    • tonnek
      tonnek
      Bronze

Is this a rule I should add? I can say, that I am not so confortable with postflop play, yet :)