A note to the newbies...

• Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      I'm still new to all this... I only learned the basics of poker 3 months ago and it's been a steep learning curve since.

I got the starting capital put in to a party poker account... Had some success by following the strategies and then lost it all. At first i thought it was just a downswing, i had apparantly been playing an optimal game.

In 3 months, in total, i've put £220 of my own money in to my poker accounts and it's all in someone else's pocket.

I now realise that in fact, i hadn't been playing properly... Not at all.

The last couple of days i've taken the time to read through the strategy guides again. Oh dear.

Suddenly my game has improved ten fold - Granted just in freerolls and i haven't won but have got in to the money a few times.

The main thing is my game has improved immensley..

So, a note to the newbies...

If you want to build on your starting capital, if you really want to do well in this game then take time to completely follow the strategy guides to the letter. This site is full to the brim of excellent guides and video's. If you truly take the time to read them all and fully understand the content and then the hardest part, apply this to your game in it's entirety you will definitely earn a steady profit over time.

If you do the above and say you lost your starting capital then you're lying to yourself, you have not played properly.

I am certain of this.

It is so easy to read through all the articles and think yeah i understand now let's play some poker... lol... Read it all again. Don't make the mistakes i have.

I seriously hope that this marks a turning point in my fortunes.
  • 7 replies
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      if you've improved a lot now and have already deposited money in the past, then don't waste your time on freerolls, just deposit $40 and play NL2 or whatever.
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      Waiting for pay day! Will be playing sng's from $100 bankroll.

I just felt the need to give the newbies some advice. I think there will be a lot of new guys/gals to the site who will make the same mistakes as me :(
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Good advice Wurble & well said.

Only thing I would disagree with a little is that variance can actually wipe out the starting $50, even if you are playing well. However you are right, the first step is in learning where your mistakes & finding any leaks that may be in your game.

Wish you every luck and success in your return after payday. Just don't go pushing too hard, too soon, keep learning and having fun as you go.

Good luck,

Bart
    • AussieIan
      AussieIan
      Bronze
      Well said Wurble. I've been keeping record in a blog of just how much money i lose from silly moves and not following strategy, it's amazing how quickly it adds up. I hope plenty of newbies read this and try and stay disciplined, that's the key really.
    • RockEye
      RockEye
      Bronze
      I'd sign under your post too. I wanted to write this kind of post too but you did it first. :]
      What you wrote here is totally true. Well said.

When i am reading all this posts about downswings, variance, rigged sites etc. i am thinking i was writing them too once, but now after reading and studying, watching coachings, videos i know that loosing money comes only from bad play. You have to search for mistakes in your own play and you don't accuse every one else, or even poker sites. After playing a few 100.000 hands it all becomes more clear.

Why i am not loosing money any more now? I know i am not luckier then before, no my play improved, i've become better poker player, more expirienced, i've learned how to keep my "tilt" at bay which makes me profit and limit loss. And so can anyone else.
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      Cheers guys, and yeah, Eagle star... You are probably right about variance but at the $1 limits where those with a $50 starting capital will be i think playing a tight game will make you a profit in almost any case. Granted, i'm no expert and for sure there are many who know a lot more than me but i reckon variance is much less prominant at the lower levels... Or am i talking rubbish? lol I have been known to!
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Wurble
      Cheers guys, and yeah, Eagle star... You are probably right about variance but at the $1 limits where those with a $50 starting capital will be i think playing a tight game will make you a profit in almost any case. Granted, i'm no expert and for sure there are many who know a lot more than me but i reckon variance is much less prominant at the lower levels... Or am i talking rubbish? lol I have been known to!
      Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly no expert either and it would have to be a pretty brutal downswing to lose all of the BR, just wanted to point out that it is a possibility, however small. The main cause would of course be leakage/poor or misguided play/tilt combined with variance.
      Plus of course on SnG's, you might actually run out of levels to drop down to first (don't think many platforms have real micro level SnG's except perhaps Stars), whereas cash tables generally you can keep dropping to NL5, NL2 etc which is ofc the purpose of BRM.

I don't want to detract anything from your post though, it's great to see players recognise, want to learn & implement what you said in your OP.

A great post :s_love: , come on community, lets have more upbeat/realistic posts like this.

Wishing you every success and of course enjoyment in your poker.

Bart