German guy wants to talk with English pokerplayers......

• eventus
      eventus
      Bronze
      Hello....

my name is Chris and I'm a German guy...I'm playing poker almost every day for hours and I thought that it would be a great thing to find somebody who is also playing a lot and to talk with him in a voice e.g. skype to improve my English or if you are interested to improve your German language.
      I hope there are some people who are interested in......please let me know....guess it would be funny :)

greetings

Chris
  • 19 replies
    • SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      Hello Chris.

I'd love to help, but I don't have skype. I actually did learn how to speak a little bit of German when I was younger but since then forgot.
    • eventus
      eventus
      Bronze
      hey sheepmoose.....

where are you from? You say you dont have skype...you can download it on http://www.skype.com its very simple to handle all you need is a headset and the talk can begin...:)

chris
    • NiekamNeidomu
      NiekamNeidomu
      Bronze
      we can agree i will talk german you will talk english..since i allready starting to forget german little by little ;)
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      You can add me if you like :)

I am from England, and have skype the user ID is in my sig.

Maybe chat to you later,

Danny
    • eventus
      eventus
      Bronze
      hey NiekamNeidomu ...

....Have you got skype....?
    • danutz123
      danutz123
      Bronze
      my name is Chris and I'm a German guy...I'm playing poker (I play poker) almost every day for hours and I thought that it would be a great thing to find somebody who is also playing (also plays) a lot and to talk with him in a voice e.g. skype to improve my English or if you are interested to improve (in improving) your German language. I hope there are some people who are interested in......please let me know....guess it would be funny smile

Hi Chris, I don't usually correct people's grammar on forums unless they incorrectly correct mine or someone else's or unless they request it (as you have implicitly).

One problem Germans seem to have with English is the progressive mood, as in German it is not marked grammatically as it is in English (it seems to be as difficult as der, die, das, den, dem, denen, deren, etc. for English speakers learning German). When you wrote that message, you weren't playing poker (unless you had a game or four going at the same time) but in any case, that's not what you meant.

The progressive mood (I am ___-ing.) is used in the present tense where you're talking about an ongoing activity (with exceptions in idioms, etc., of course as is the case where I used it in this sentence). The indicative (I _______.) generally indicates habitual or routine activities (i. e. "I play poker"). If you could say in German, "Zur Zeit, spiele ich Poker", use the progressive. If you could say in German, "Gewöhnlich, (oder jeden Tag, usw.) spiele ich Poker", use the indicative (I routinely play poker or I play poker every day).

There's a good example of the mistake in the title of the Scorpions' song, "I'm Still Loving You". Taken literally, it means that he hasn't pulled out of her yet. But rhythmically it works extremely well and certainly makes for a kickass rock ballad.
    • justgeo
      justgeo
      Bronze
      well thats all for todays english lesson, tomorrow we will be looking into prose and constructive sentances, so please do join us then, thats if you aren't playing poker of course!
      [please dont use grammar like that, 100 lines, I must not use bad grammar on pokerstrategy]
      :f_cool:
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      SoyCD ist Schvuli :D .
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Originally posted by danutz123
      my name is Chris and I'm a German guy...I'm playing poker (I play poker) almost every day for hours and I thought that it would be a great thing to find somebody who is also playing (also plays) a lot and to talk with him in a voice e.g. skype to improve my English or if you are interested to improve (in improving) your German language. I hope there are some people who are interested in......please let me know....guess it would be funny smile

Hi Chris, I don't usually correct people's grammar on forums unless they incorrectly correct mine or someone else's or unless they request it (as you have implicitly).

One problem Germans seem to have with English is the progressive mood, as in German it is not marked grammatically as it is in English (it seems to be as difficult as der, die, das, den, dem, denen, deren, etc. for English speakers learning German). When you wrote that message, you weren't playing poker (unless you had a game or four going at the same time) but in any case, that's not what you meant.

The progressive mood (I am ___-ing.) is used in the present tense where you're talking about an ongoing activity (with exceptions in idioms, etc., of course as is the case where I used it in this sentence). The indicative (I _______.) generally indicates habitual or routine activities (i. e. "I play poker"). If you could say in German, "Zur Zeit, spiele ich Poker", use the progressive. If you could say in German, "Gewöhnlich, (oder jeden Tag, usw.) spiele ich Poker", use the indicative (I routinely play poker or I play poker every day).

There's a good example of the mistake in the title of the Scorpions' song, "I'm Still Loving You". Taken literally, it means that he hasn't pulled out of her yet. But rhythmically it works extremely well and certainly makes for a kickass rock ballad.
      lol I bet you put ppl on tilt al the time without even knowing it xD
    • TheLastNail
      TheLastNail
      Black
      oh noooo.... just live happily :heart: your English is gr8, every1 understands, thats fine.. peace! :P
    • whitefang43
      whitefang43
      Bronze
      come on give the guy a break,

ohh and don't be a smart ass we got plenty of those already!

he's way better then the french already, and as long as he didn't learn poker from stefan on pro7 he an okay guy in my book :D
    • toedder
      toedder
      Bronze
      danutz, u is a nit, fo sho!
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze

Wow :heart:
    • vhallee
      vhallee
      Bronze

Hello Danutz,
      At first I thought I am not liking your reply that much but I am being sure you were not acting aggressive and you were simply wanting to be helping.
      Also that last part is being extremely good, which is why I am in fact (still) loving your reply.

Best regarding,
      vhallee
    • michaelg5pro
      michaelg5pro
      Bronze
      Yeah Danutz post is fine and i think though Chris knows Hans (maybe this has to be explained) ;> he wont mind.

btw: interestingly distinguishing present progressive and simple present is the first i learned when dealin with verbs in english, and i dont think this has changed for curriculars. However it infact is natural that you lose that understanding and maybe mix up over time - i confess that happened to me. At least it is quite simple, this regularly vs now.

Hmm what about past progressive, if clauses and going to/will. So glad i didnt throw away all the old stuff, but have to find it ;>
    • excelgeo
      excelgeo
      Silver

owned.

god i love this website. not in the progressive mood.
    • CRI4BRA
      CRI4BRA
      Bronze
      in fact the last part of Danutz's post put me on tilt because is obv the feeling not the thing 'pulled out'.

i also think that if people would be thinking of that ballad as of 'still f.. -ing you, it wouldnt have been of so much success as it had over the DECADES.

peace
    • rex99
      rex99
      Bronze
      Chris,

i'm from Brazil, speak a bit of english and tryed, unsuccesfully learn deutsch.

if you would like to talk about anything, as i'm a porr nl10 player, you will be welcome.

=D

P.S.: sendind my skype via community,
    • Katu1900
      Katu1900
      Bronze
      Originally posted by rex99
      Chris,

i'm from Brazil, speak a bit of english and tryed, unsuccesfully learn deutsch.

if you would like to talk about anything, as i'm a porr nl10 player, you will be welcome.

=D

P.S.: sendind my skype via community,
      +1.

Hi Rex , send me your skype as well.