[NL2-NL10] K9s in SB

• WildBeans
      WildBeans
      Bronze
      Firstly, if you have something to say about completing K9s in sb with only one limper, leave that at the door.. actually scrap that, you can say what you want.

Secondly, I never know how to play this kind of thing - OOP, flush draw, 1 overcard. Betting first doesn't seem like the right move. calling can't be right (because of odds). Check Raising is the only other line, but it seems like a very brave one.

The villain has an aggression factor of 4.0 over 70 hands....

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

$0.5/$1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      MP2:
      $225.15
      MP3:
      $19.50
      CO:
      $90.95
      BU:
      $33.70
      SB(Hero):
      $18.50
      BB:
      $124.95
      UTG1:
      $82.15
      UTG2:
      $218.00
      MP1:
      $35.00

Preflop: Hero is SB with K, 9.
      3 folds, MP2 calls $1.00, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.50, BB checks.

Flop: ($3.00) J, 6, 3 (3 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $3.00, MP2 folds, Hero folds, BB gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $3.00.
  • 11 replies
    • Ishindar
      Ishindar
      Bronze
      i would also complete preflop in this spot, I think its good play.

i usually make a pot sized bet after the flop representing a strong hand in this position. pushing all in on the flop would be overplay imho.

usually facing a pot sized bet they will fold unless they have at least top pair.

after you checked the flop and the BB raised 3$ i think u are getting good odds to call him.
    • Aimboy
      Aimboy
      Bronze
      And I would fold preflop, K9s with one limper is bad hand to play.
    • WildBeans
      WildBeans
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Ishindar

i usually make a pot sized bet after the flop representing a strong hand in this position. pushing all in on the flop would be overplay imho.

usually facing a pot sized bet they will fold unless they have at least top pair.

after you checked the flop and the BB raised 3$ i think u are getting good odds to call him.
      How do you figure I'm getting good odds to call?
    • Mstlc
      Mstlc
      Bronze
      Originally posted by WildBeans

I'm 99% sure you do not have the odds to call there with just a flush draw.
    • WildBeans
      WildBeans
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Mstlc
      Originally posted by WildBeans

I'm 99% sure you do not have the odds to call there with just a flush draw.
      So am I.
    • Aimboy
      Aimboy
      Bronze
      You need 5:1 pot odds to complete with Axs and then when you have flush or flush draw you know its nuts. I would complete with K9s with 3 limpers.
    • Ishindar
      Ishindar
      Bronze
      the formula i use for determining if its profitable to call with a flush draw on the flop is 1.86 x betsize< pot = yes, then call. i worked this out when i started playing poker a couple of months ago as i prefer to use % than odds =) so in this case its 1.86 x 3 = 5.58 which is < 6(pot size) so its a call.
      please correct me if im wrong?
    • WildBeans
      WildBeans
      Bronze
      the formula i use for determining if its profitable to call with a flush draw on the flop is 1.86 x betsize< pot = yes, then call. i worked this out when i started playing poker a couple of months ago as i prefer to use % than odds =) so in this case its 1.86 x 3 = 5.58 which is < 6(pot size) so its a call.
      please correct me if im wrong?
      you're definitely wrong. With a flush draw you have 9 outs, which is approximately 18% for 1 street. That means that 0.18*pot < betsize, not the way you have it. In this case it is 0.18*6 which is $1.08, but you have to call $3, so you're not getting the odds.
      hope that clears it up..
    • Ishindar
      Ishindar
      Bronze
      chances of making a flush from flop to river is 1.86 to 1. u are considering 1 street only whereas im considering 2 so thats the difference. i guess i should be just considering one street even if the villan would normally check the turn?
    • Nunki
      Nunki
      Bronze
      Preflop:

You need really awful opponents to make completing with this hand from the SB profitable. Your juicy preflop odds aren't always sufficient to overcome the fact that your hand is going to always be difficult to play well post-flop.

PostFlop:

Why not just bet the flop seeing as you hit your hand and the board is semi-dry? When you have to start thinking odds/outs you are already going wrong IMO.

As played either fold or CRAI depending on the BB.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Hi,

Preflop is okay but its really marginal due:
      Any 2 Suited
      11.79% FD+
      3.49% TwoPair+
      --------------------
      15.28% -> 1 : 5.5
      You get 5:1 so you miss 0.5

I either lead out potsized and shove on a raise OR I check and depending on Statistics, I c/RAI or c/f

As I dont see any statistics, I am leaning towards c/RAI just because I think you have decent FE

- Gerv