This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL10 FR, QQ, bad flop

• Yuris125
      Yuris125
      Bronze
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

$0.05/$0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      CO:
      $20.15
      BU:
      $1.85
      SB:
      $1.75
      BB:
      $39.62
      UTG1:
      $10.62
      UTG2:
      $9.50
      MP1:
      $2.00
      MP2:
      $9.26
      MP3(Hero):
      $10.00

Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF/Hands)
      UTG1 - 18/4/1.7/84

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q, Q.
      UTG1 calls $0.10, 3 folds, Hero raises to $0.5, 4 folds, UTG1 raises to $1.4, Hero calls $0.90.

Flop: ($2.95) K, T, A (2 players)
      UTG1 checks, Hero bets $1.50, UTG1 raises to $4.8, Hero folds, UTG1 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $4.45.

Hi,
      Should I push preflop?
      Should I check behind on this flop?

Thanks!

edit: corrected stats
  • 2 replies
    • Jaissica
      Jaissica
      Bronze
      No, yes (answering questions).

First, consider what hands UTG1 normally raises with to be 4% raise. Thats a fairly solid read after 84 hands.

Its something like AQs+, AKo+, JJ+.

Think further what hands UTG1 would therefor 3-bet with. A normal 15/12 player 3bets about 4%, sometimes AQs+, AKo+, sometimes JJ, mostly QQ+. This nit will only be 3-betting AA/KK, rarely AKo+, rarely QQ.

Throw in that villain played a classic "hihi im an idiot who wants to win exactly 50 cents with my AA by limp-raising you with it!" line. When he did that he as good as turned over his aces (id give him 95% aces 4% kings 1% other here) given we already know he is a nit who rarely even raises, much less 3 bets, leave alone limp-raise.

At that point you had an okay set odds call though, 90 cents with $8.60 future implieds, $2.05 pot already for a return rate of 11.83-1, easily profitable given the hand range we have assigned to the villain means he will stack off 100% of flops if we hit.

On the flop we have an easy check behind. The idiot already showed us a slowplay preflop, why not again on the most obvious flop ever? Heck, we even have a gutshot draw to really ruin his day, wouldnt that have been grand? Ill bet that if we called the flop raise UTG1 would check-raise again if they got a chance. Some people are just strange like that.

But my point, which as always I only get to after a page of musings, is that if a nit limp-raises you preflop his hand range is AA, AA, AA, AA, AA, AA or AA. The only thing that changes is the suits.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello,

Also you can read Jaissica analyze, it's pretty good one.

Should I push preflop?
      There is no point to push against such an opponent, he will very often show you with his limp/raise very often AA/KK in this situation. It's a perfect spot to take the odds and just Call here and play in position against him and hope to hit something big like a set or straight.
      Should I check behind on this flop?
      Yes, perfect spot to do that, he has here most of the time a set or at least the Ace. Just take the free card and try to catch a straight and let him pay you off.

But the conclusion is that such moves as limp/raise are very often AA/KK and you have to watch out even with KK.

Best regards,
      Rensu