SSS or BSS or something else

• MAGICBRYAN
      MAGICBRYAN
      Bronze
      Hi All

This is a question primarily aimed at live cash games available to me locally in England. Have dabbled in the past with varying results, and don't intend to play them now until I have a proper BR.

Question for when I do is that a typical game is 50p/£1 with either £40/50 minimum buy-in. Some games no upper limit, in one case £100 upper limit.

Following PS guidelines I need 25 BI BR, which is obviously more easily attanable for short stack play than BSS.

However, minimum buy-in doesn't allow for pure sss as it is = 40bb.

Is there a kind of in-between optimal strategy someone could suggest for sitting down with 40bb in a cash game ?

Also, I am thinking if I was bankrolled for the 40bb buy-ins, I could use such strategy when I sit down, but if fortunate enough in a session to double up to eg £80/100, could revert to pure BSS.

What do people think, and can you lend me some money ? lol

Bryan
  • 9 replies
    • SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      Mid-stack strategy?

I think it's best just to stick with BSS
    • MAGICBRYAN
      MAGICBRYAN
      Bronze
      Hi All

Thx for the reply sheepmoose. You are probably right. It's just the thought of having to save up £2.5k for a BR. I would like to play them before I get too old !!

Bryan
    • MrPavlos
      MrPavlos
      Global
      Hello Bryan,live poker my friend is a completely different issue.
      U could use the 25BI rule but the reason for this rule is cause of variance which tends to be a bitch onlive.Live its really different.I am playing live poker like last 1,5 year and i always tryed to have like 5-10BI(depends on the game)
      But it is really important to have the maximum possible stack.And SSS for a live game would be not easily done,cause u know live u will be getting like 15-20 hands per hour max,and u cant open more tables :f_cool:
      Good luck on ur live plays
    • MAGICBRYAN
      MAGICBRYAN
      Bronze
      Hi again,

Are we talking about the same thing MrPavlos, when we say BR? I assume by 5BI you are talking about money on your person on the night. I have played like that before, but felt I should really have a BR behind me just for poker and seperate from any other money.

Are you really saying that 5-10 is all you have behind you for playing BSS? Or are you saying you can easily replace 5-10bb if you lose it all ? (maybe you are more wealthy than I am. lol)

Look forward to your reply, or anyone elses thoughts who plays live.

All the best
      Bryan
    • MrPavlos
      MrPavlos
      Global
      Look man,right now i got 1500 euros,and i play ussually 0.5-1.
      So i have like 15 buy ins.Though,any moment i might need something i use the 500(life issues) so i have a BR of 10 stacks to play the games i play here.And no i aint wealthy at all,i really worked my ass to gather my first 500 when i decided to start playing live.
    • MAGICBRYAN
      MAGICBRYAN
      Bronze
      Hi again,

Thanks MrPAVLOS for explaining to me in more detail. The tone of your message makes me think I may have upset you in some way. That certainly wasn't my intention, and I am sorry if I did. I was only joking about you being wealthy. Sometimes my sense of humour may not translate too well by email.

Thanks again for explaining further your approach, it has given me encouragement, and much to think about.

Good luck at the tables.
      Bryan
    • MrPavlos
      MrPavlos
      Global
      Mate not upset at all and sorry if i made it look this way,not in my intentions .What i want to point though is that u dont need such a big BR for live games.

Cheers Bryan,rip the tables up :f_biggrin:
    • MAGICBRYAN
      MAGICBRYAN
      Bronze
      I'll try mate

All the best,
      Bryan
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      Yeah I also think you don't need such a big bankroll for the live game cause you play a lot less hands (as stated) so the bad beats are much more rare. I think for the limit of $1/2 1000 big blinds bankroll should be OK.

Variance rapes us online IMO cause when a guy gets 4 playable hands on 4 of his 10 tables (SSS for example) and goes all-in and ends losing all of them he is already 80 big blinds behind and that shit happen often with the SSS.

SSS live is possible but ask the rake first. If it's more than 5% don't play the SSS live.