Can playing stoned be +EV?

• MrPavlos
      MrPavlos
      Global
      First, if for some reason this thread is inappropriate excuse me and close it.

Now i want to ask u people if u believe playing stoned can be +EV.
      At the beginning when i started playin stoned i played very bad,lots of times getting quite looser or trying to bust opponents cause i thought they might bluff.After time and effort,i now i play exactly the way i want to.
      So last month playing a variety of games(FL SH,NL SH,NL FR,PLO,stg's,mtt's)
      after playing almost every session stoned,apart from the downswings and variance it was quite a +EV month.

Peace :f_cool:
  • 68 replies
    • SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      It depends on the stakes you play.
      If your spending more money on weed than you are making playing poker than it wont be +EV at all.
    • MrPavlos
      MrPavlos
      Global
      Heh,look i dont smoke too much,propably 2 joints per day max.And i buy it quite cheaply,cause a classmate in university is dealing :f_cool:
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MrPavlos
      Heh,look i dont smoke too much,propably 2 joints per day max
      LOL.....
      So in your opinion.. whats too much?

2 joints a day = stoner
    • Frakkk
      Frakkk
      Bronze
      It really depends on the person, the kind of weed, the circumstances. Weed can help in concentration but it can also have the opposite effect. If you think you play better stoned than good for you. For most of the people I think it would be quiet -EV.
    • superjunk
      superjunk
      Bronze
      Hehe, i`m a stoner :D

Smoking weed helps me to concentrate, but it gets me so lazy..
      Pretty sure its -EV
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      +EV in a "variety of games" means either you're a poker prodigy or you got lucky.
    • MrPavlos
      MrPavlos
      Global
      Look i dont think i'm a prodigy(would be cool thought) but neither i think i have this +EV by luck,i study a lot,review my sessions,check each weird hand after a session and see how i could avoid it.I do lot's of stuff but thing is i dont move up lvls,i play 2$-3$ stgs,2$-5$ mtts,NL5-NL10,and my BR is slowly going up.
      Micro stakes poker ftw... :f_cool:

And weed helps a lot,especially to keep me calm after each "unlucky" hand

Cheers
    • timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      Dumbass thing to think, maybe it can be +EV but playing sober is much more +EV.
    • suvalgysiu
      suvalgysiu
      Bronze
    • mChavez
      mChavez
      Bronze
      Drugs are bad, mkey =) )

Well, ANYTHING can in theory be +EV as long as it helps you to play +EV. Another question is "How does it help you to be +EV?".

It is unlikely that you'll be +EV from weed, but if you are, then analyze what makes you better when you're stoned? Find the flaw in your sober play and correct it. If you think it really helps you to stay calm when you usually tilt, then work on your anger management instead of smoking another joint.

I mean if you're better playing stoned than sober then something is wrong with you when you're sober=) )
    • MrPavlos
      MrPavlos
      Global
      mChavez,i got ur point,thing is i aint planning to stop smoking pot.
      Apart from that,about poker,althought i would love to become a pro one day and be able to not work and only play my beloved game for a living,i am not a pro at the moment.I play poker today to have fun.So weed makes it +fun which somehow turns to become +EV :f_biggrin: .
      Point is i am not trying to say that drugs could get u +EV in poker,it would be 100% wrong.
      BUT i am saying that for me it is +EV since i am in love with weed and in love with poker so it's a cool mixture which boost's my BR and point of this thread was maybe to find some guys who share the same love.

Cheers folks :f_cool:
    • bkbart
      bkbart
      Bronze
      ya man Im a cron too.

I would say it doesnt really affect me too much. People who are not cron will never understand and the crons will never dis weed. So there is no point in debating this too much.

I could see it being slightly -ive for playing mutiple tables at the same time, just because it makes you slower and less alert leading to rushed decisions and misclicks.

However if you are only playing one two or even four tables it doesnt change my thought process when putting a player on a range.

People who dont smoke too often get a totally different high then cronics so it is -ive for the virgin lungs since they get messed up and just think everything is funny and tasty and other words ending in y. But for me and the rest of team green I kinda agree that it can get you in the zone, which is very +++ive, and help pull you through some of those late night tourneys. That is not to say you cant do it sober, but a great man once said, "Have you ever played poker man? ya? Have you ever played poker oooon weeeeed"

As soon as you blaze during one break you have to blaze every break though otherwise the burn out can be a bitch

but I am starting to ramble...hopefully someone reads this
    • MrPavlos
      MrPavlos
      Global
      I read it ofc :f_biggrin: :f_biggrin:
      U see the point of this thread was not to debate but more find the green team members.I'm glad i found one :f_p: .
      Totally agree with what u said.

Cheers folks
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      well, it's all relative but I can't believe it can be +ev

however , I guess it can be like playing 1k hands , you get diferent responses

2+2er : noob
      normal person: degen
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      I play stoned sometimes, sometimes it helps me focus on the game (or think about it in a different way). In my experience: it's good as long as you're not super-vegetable- staring in front of you- stoned :tongue:
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by bkbart

People who dont smoke too often get a totally different high then cronics so it is -ive for the virgin lungs since they get messed up and just think everything is funny and tasty and other words ending in y. But for me and the rest of team green I kinda agree that it can get you in the zone, which is very +++ive, and help pull you through some of those late night tourneys. That is not to say you cant do it sober, but a great man once said, "Have you ever played poker man? ya? Have you ever played poker oooon weeeeed"

As soon as you blaze during one break you have to blaze every break though otherwise the burn out can be a bitch

agree entirely with this guy btw ^^
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      You know the weed is too strong if you can't do anything but hit it and stare at it. Watch The Pimp Chronicles concert by Katt Williams, excellent piece on ganja. On the subject of poker, I believe it can be +EV since it is +EV for me. I normally only smoke once a week, in the weekend usually. Last night I had half a joint, walked for 30 minutes with music (my usual baking activity) and came home to play some poker. The session went well, I was on a downswing losing over $500, but this one session improved the situation to only $300 loss. I ran like god in $25 HU SnG's, and didn't experience any concentration disorders or malfunctions.

I believe most people (who never smoked) tend to label marijuana as a drug, which in their mind means something very dangerous and harmful to health. Which isn't the case with weed. Weed is just a plant, it wasn't genetically bred or chemically assembled, people just pluck it, roll it and smoke it. The effect is a natural product of combustion, it doesn't make you aggressive, it doesn't mess your lungs up any more than cigarettes do (which are legal by the way) and it doesn't screw you up mentally like hard drugs do. The fear of pot is rather misplaced, and playing under the influence is not a bad thing by definition.
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Berzerger
      I believe most people (who never smoked) tend to label marijuana as a drug, which in their mind means something very dangerous and harmful to health. Which isn't the case with weed. Weed is just a plant, it wasn't genetically bred or chemically assembled, people just pluck it, roll it and smoke it. The effect is a natural product of combustion, it doesn't make you aggressive, it doesn't mess your lungs up any more than cigarettes do (which are legal by the way) and it doesn't screw you up mentally like hard drugs do. The fear of pot is rather misplaced, and playing under the influence is not a bad thing by definition.
      completely disagree with this post though :p

It is genetically bred, bad for your lungs (like 10x worse then sigarettes), it can screw you up mentally and it is addicting.
      Smoking once a week isn't dangerous at all, but heavy use does have negative effects.
    • chontasaurus
      chontasaurus
      Bronze
      "It is genetically bred"
      So are carrots.

"bad for your lungs (like 10x worse then sigarettes)"
      Agreed, but it kinda hard to compare the two because the typical pot smoker smokes far less joints than the typical tobacco smoker smokes cigarettes. Also you can use vaporizers and such to make it far less harmful for your lungs.

"it can screw you up mentally and it is addicting."
      Scientific studies into long term effects of pot usage are very conflicting. Some of the smartest people I know smoke pot, and some of the dumbest, granted haha. It affects your short term memory, which may not be so good for poker, but that's the extent of mental screwage pot has been proven to cause, unless you have a pre existing mental condition or are taking, say, anti-depressants.

As for the addictiveness, pot isn't physically addictive, but it can be mentally addictive, just like poker... Or carrots.

Now onto the real question, could playing poker on LSD be +ev? :evil: