[NL2-NL10] Bad beat or bad mistake?

• michaelqian
      michaelqian
      Bronze
      Playing 5/10c limits on Full Tilt

I don't know how to post those hands, so I'll just describe it.

Preflop A9s, flop came AA7, so I bet, got a raise, so re-raised. Only 2 players left including myself.

Can't remember the turn, but it was something that I didn't have to worry about, maybe a 3?

So I kept betting, opponent called.

Turn came K, opponent goes all in, I called without really thinking.

I had AAA, Opponent had KKKAA.

Lost about $3.50.

Guess my mistake was that I called without thinking after the river, but would you say it's somewhat a bad beat?

Thanks for any advice
  • 6 replies
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      Hello michaelqian,

With regards to coverting your hands then the following thread should help you with how to so it.

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/poker-hand-evaluations/

We also have an Hand Converter as part of the tools that we supply now as well.

Also if you tell me whether it was SSS, NL BSS FR, etc i can move it to the correct forum for you.

Kind Regards,
      -Steve
    • michaelqian
      michaelqian
      Bronze
      Hi,

It was no limit.
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Hi michaelqian,

TheBu11d0g already provided the link that should explain all about posting hands.

It would be great if you could convert this hand as described in that link and post it in this thread. If that's not possible then I would at least ask you to provide some more information about the preflop: what was your position, how many players were dealt cards, what did other players do and what did you do.

Regards!
      burek2000
    • Ishindar
      Ishindar
      Bronze
      hardly a bad beat if it was A9s V KK. u were just unlucky the flop was so favorable and therefore u put money in the pot. gota expect these kinda things when u play crappy hands tho.
    • michaelqian
      michaelqian
      Bronze
      I was the big blind, so might as well play.

If I wasn't the big blind, I probably wouldn't have played this hand.

Putting my self in my opponent's position with KK, if I see a raise and re-raise on a hand with AA on the board, I would be very concerned that my opponent has at least 1 ace.

So I only really have 2 outs here, KK.

Yet I kept calling his bet, with two pairs KK and AA.

I still think this is a case where bad play got lucky, my mistake was on the river where I called his all in, but then again there were already 60% of the money in the pot I probably wouldn't have folded anyway.
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      OK, A9o is not playable from any position preflop with SSS, so you did well to just check on the big blind. But there's another mistake, when you play SSS you have to leave the table when you have more than 25 big blinds in your stack.

On the flop, you hit trips which is very strong hand and you want to get value out of your hand, therefore bet pot size and when you get raised you can just push all-in directly if your starting stack was ~3,50$ as you wrote in the initial post.

As played, you have to go broke on the turn, there is no way to fold trips with small stack that you had left.

Btw, it was horrible play to limp KK indeed.

If you might have any other question feel free to click "Advise the judge to have another look" button.

Regards,
      burek2000