Starting building BR

• heelia
      heelia
      Bronze
      Hello everybody!
      I would like to ask you, experienced players, how to manage the start on Stars. I really enjoy playing SnGs, I practice on ITM, have about 83% all together, I would like to improve this a little more (up to 100% of course :-) ). I'm planning to deposit about 200$ and start cleaning the 50$ first deposit, which I hope won't be so difficult with proper BR. I'm thinking of the 10men 1.10$ turbos, 10men 1.15$ normal, 18men 1.75$ or 9men 1.20$ SnGs. Which one would you recommend me and why? I really appreciate any feedback, advices, hints and tips.

Thanks, your John
  • 10 replies
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      Another SNG player! Sweet!

Welcome. There weren't that many SNG players active in the forums back when I was starting out so I'm really happy there there are more and more of us now..
      I'm guessing by "practice on ITM" you mean practice using the SNG Wizard made by the company ITM? If that is the case I would switch to the ICM trainer (ICM trainer light first) downloadable for free here from the Pokerstrategy site. The SNG wiz is of course a great tool but in my opinion you will appreciate more later on after you learned the basics.. For not so experienced players the ICM trainer is simply better in my opinion. 100% is of course a nice result but 95% is already an ok result in the default setting.
      If I were you I would go with one of the 1 table SNG options and probably non turbo ones. This is because most of the material on SNG here was writen with 1 table SNGs in mind. You can of course aply most of it to 2 talbe ones as well but why make things harded on yourself from the very beginning? And non turbo because slower blind structure gives you more time to learn for the money paid as a buy in. And Learning is the most important thing for any new member.

Hope this helps a little.
      Lubor
    • heelia
      heelia
      Bronze
      Thanks for your fast reply, you were right - I have only typed it badly - I meant ICM trainer by PS.com - the light version I have passed easily in 2 days or so, now I improve my game day after day using the ICM (as mentioned above). A while ago I have just tried the 1.20$ 9men normal and unpredictably after an hour of tough fight I have won the tourney. I know it could be just luck of the beginner, but I have just only sticked to the charts, tips and strategy provided here. I have a previous experience in 0.25$ 90men turbos (1/3 ITM usually), but they take a lot of time to play, even if I'm multitabling 4 or 6. I'm planning multitsnlr this SnGs too of course, planning 4 in the start, to max of 9 - according to ROI and success rate. Tell me what do you think about :-)
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      Sounds nice. :) If you have some prior experience and are familiar with the Pokerstars software then I think 4 tables should be fine for you. I think you yourself can tell the best if you are able to manage playing 4 tables right from the beginning.. When you notice you are often bored while palying and are capable of browsing the web, chating with friends or wathcing TV while playing it is probably time for you to add another 1 or 2 tables.
    • heelia
      heelia
      Bronze
      Now I'm still thinking about the 1.75$ one, here I pay less rake and the prize is even higher. Tell me what do you think LuborC - and even if I win only 1 of 5 I'm +ROI if I am right. Thanks
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      It's up to you. The rake might be lower but it's a two table SNG which takes at least hour and a half to finish.
    • heelia
      heelia
      Bronze
      OK - Thanks for your opinion, i watched about 3 this one tournaments - took between 40 and 60mins, because this one are turbos. I will study until I deposit, then I will create a blog :-) Thanks again
    • heelia
      heelia
      Bronze
      I've got one idea - what about playing DoNs 1.15$ normal | 1.1$ turbo to double my BR and start playing regular SnGs - when I have success rate e.g. 3/4 (75%) of played DoNs. What do you think about that LuborC? Is this a good practice for me as an beginner with cash SnGs?
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      No it's definitely not a good practice for "normal" SGNs. The game is totally different.
      I'm not saying you shouldn't play those there are some people here who made nice money playing these but it will not help you to improve your standard SNG game.
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hello!

You should ONLY play DoNs after you've read the article about DoNs (it's in the silver section I believe), so PLEASE don't play any until you've reached silver and read that article as the gameplay is completely different there.

Regards,

Primzi.
    • heelia
      heelia
      Bronze
      Oh, really? Thanks, I din't know this. That's a very important information. I'll concentrate on normal SnGs in this case :-)