2 mid stacks including myself with around 3000 chips
      small stack with around 1000 chips
      blinds 200/100

In clockwise order

Big Stack
      Small Stack
      Mid Stack
      Hero

The big stack wasn't attacking the small stack from SB at all however was betting into both mid stacks continuously.

I didn't want to attack the big stack on the bubble with such a small stack present.

I couldn't attack the small stack because big stack is in the way and I ended up becoming the small stack and getting busted.
  • 3 replies
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      In this situation I usually just wait. The bigstack obviously has no interest in the shorty busting early since he can abuse the bubble and make lots of chips as long as he is present. You still don't really want to be confronted with the bigstack because you are too deep to risk too much..
      So only atack the shorty with kind of strong hands so that he does not gain chips and is still shorter than I am. This way he will probably bust after the blinds go up. You have to realise that the bigstack doesn't want you to bust either so he shouldn't really be calling you crazy loose..

ICM trainer will help you with determining the exact range to push with..
    • jo3lemon
      jo3lemon
      Bronze
      I had a similar situation this morning, I just couldn't get at the small stacks so I was folding reasonable hands in case big stack called me. I tried a couple of times just calling instead of all in on the basis that if SB big stack folded I could go all in post flop. This didn't work either so I just sat it out and eventually it came good.

LuborC I don't really understand what you mean by 'You have to realise that the bigstack doesn't want you to bust either', could you explain? Cheers.

edit: sorry I meant big stack not BB
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      What I meant is that the bigstack profits from this situation being the bubble and him being able to push a lot of hands (any two cards actually most of the time). For the bigstack the ideal scenario is that the bubble will go on untill all of you are very short and he will have secured the first place. When anyone busts then everyone else will be able to call him a lot looser so he won't be able to win as many chips with pure stealing.

Of course he really does not mind busting you out and taking your chips but he should be find with you sticking around, too. That's why you shouldn't really be too afraid to push reasonable hands even with the bigstack still to act especially when the smallstack is in the BB. Gambling and calling you loose is -EV for the bigstack.