ICM Trainer

• Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      I've been using the ICM trainer - Just the light version... I do ok with it but i would prefer to be getting 100% all the time so that the decisions for push/fold in live play come to me instantly and automatically..

The problem is, the ICM trainer tells me the range i should play in certain situations but it doesn't tell me why.

It could give me two very similar situations but the calling range would be different and i don't fully understand why.

How does everyone else learn the push/fold strategy so that you can play the push/fold phase profitably all the time?

Sorry if i've not explained myself very well.. very tired
  • 7 replies
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      Hi Wurble

Learning ICM is a process that takes time... Download the ICM trainer, the full version and practice on that...

The way that I practice is that I set the filters to a specific situation e.g. bubble pushing 1st in or calling from the blinds and I do 200-500 hands... once I'm through the first run I look at all my mistakes. Here is where I spot trends and certain recurring situations that I miss... then I run through the same set again and repeat this til I get 95%+... Also, when you answer each problem, try to guess the range, this'll help to...

Also post hands in the forum if you are uncertain about a situation you encountered, because ICM can be adapted to different opponents based on differing ranges...

Hope this helps and good luck :s_cool:
    • Wurble
      Wurble
      Silver
      Thanks Nick, I'll do as you suggested and get started with the full version :s_thumbsup:
    • deVall3y
      deVall3y
      Bronze
      the factors that affect hand ranges are:
      number of opponents
      stack sizes (not just yours and your opponents behind you, for example is there a shortie on the bubble? push tighter)
      how close to money
      and reads, but they arent excluded in the icm trainer because I think he uses the 'perfect' ranges
      if i'm not missing anything
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      Originally posted by deVall3y
      the factors that affect hand ranges are:
      number of opponents
      stack sizes (not just yours and your opponents behind you, for example is there a shortie on the bubble? push tighter)
      how close to money
      and reads, but they arent excluded in the icm trainer because I think he uses the 'perfect' ranges
      if i'm not missing anything
      That is very wrong! The correct sentence should be: "Is there a shortie on the bubble and you have everybody else behind you covered? Push extremely loose, any two cards even in some cases."
      When bigstack on the bubble and there is a shortie (less then 10BBs and a lot less chips then the other two guys) you can push any two cards when a)the shortie already folded or b) the shortie will act before the BB (that way if the shortie folds the BB can't call you).
      You can easily practice these situations if you set the ICM trainer to 4 people.
    • deVall3y
      deVall3y
      Bronze
      oh yeah this is very correct, I had a picture in my mind where you are short as well, so dont push into the big stack if someone's about to bust
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      Sorry, I did not mean to offend you or anything. I just wanted to make a point that you shouldn't be scared to push into someone with the same or smaller stack than yours when there is a shorty.
    • gearoi
      gearoi
      Bronze
      Really good suggestions on how to use ICM here - thanks Nick / Lubor :D :D

I'm gonna practise the full version - maybe there is an article about how to go about using the ICM trainer somewhere? I see there might be one in the gold section but I'm too lowly to see it... :( :(

:D