Am I doing ok?

• michaelqian
      michaelqian
      Bronze
      Hi all

Got my $50 bonus on Saturday, New Zealand time. Playing 5c/10c no limit on Full Tilt.

Played on Saturday afternoon, made $4.20, then at night lost $7, majority of it was from a very unlucky beat on the river.

Sunday earned a total of about $14, then lost about $4, so now have $55 on my account, net profit of $5.

This was from one hour play on both days, so total 2 hours.

Do you think I'm doing ok? I'm reasonably happy I guess. But do regret two occasions where I called with relatively weak hands knowing that my opponent undoubtedly had better hands, ending up having to fold after putting some money in the pot.

Do you think I'm doing ok so far?

Thanks
      Michael
  • 13 replies
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      I would play lower limits if I were you. Unless you're playing SSS.
    • straddler71
      straddler71
      Global
      michaelqian

Sounds like your off to a good start.
    • michaelqian
      michaelqian
      Bronze
      I don't prefer to play SSS, here's my reasoning, for 5c/10c limit.

I put in 20x BB, so $2 each table, I go all in with AK, AA, KK, then I may or may NOT hit on the flop, so it feels like I'm risking my $2 in one single hand.

I am careful with my bank roll, I have 20x the big blind as buy in for each table, and I have 30x buy-ins in my account, well almost, $55.

I like to sit down with the maximum buy in, for this limit is $10, as I think this way I have more leverage over the other players with smaller stacks, they might be a little scared of me if I sit down with $10 compared to their $2.
    • NakiMan
      NakiMan
      Bronze
      Hi Michael.

Welcome to PS, good to see yet another Kiwi here.

Suggest you think about the SSS, one key advantage is you can multitable which helps build points to collect the bonus. I was against the idea when I started but after trying it I found it gave a good return (as long as you can put up with the swings) and really helped me clear the bonus.

If you do the key is to follow the strategy to the letter, don't be tempted to "just have a look at the flop and call a bet".

Any hands you have problems with the site has a great posting area where you can get plenty of great feedback from the coaches.

Good luck at the tables,

NakiMan (Go Hurricanes!) :s_evil:
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hello michaelqian and welcome,

The problem with buying in with a full stack is that you only have 5 stacks total - which is not enough to balance out variance. That means if you hit a bad run of cards you will lose all of your money.

Even if you don't want to play short stack strategy, I can highly recommend re-reading the articles (as well as the bronze articles). Real SSS players won't be intimidated by your bigger stack - quite contrary - since SSS players love playing against big stacks. These are generally the looser players against which their strategy makes the most money.

The SSS is all about waiting for strong hands and 'risking' your entire stack with the hands you decide to play - since these are usually ahead in terms of equity against the range of your opponents.

The amount of money you are currently making or losing doesn't say much about how you are doing - just the way you are playing your hands does. I suggest you post hands about which you weren't sure in the Hand Evaluation boards; Hand posting guide This way you can find your leaks and improve your game - which is the most important thing at the moment.

Best regards
      SoyCD
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Why I wouldn't play NL10 with $55 BR:

- If you lose a $10 stack(if you are playing solid poker, you will sometimes) you will feel like someone just kicked you in the nuts, because its nearly 20% of your roll.
      - Its easier to tilt when losing large chunks of your BR.
      - If you don't tilt, you will probably go into "nit mode", folding too often and aggro opponents might notice this.
      - If you are playing NL10 to try and clear the bonus then you might lose your BR trying to do this, its happened many times.
      - If you are a beginner, you should focus on learning the game, instead of trying to make money, or clearing a bonus. Money and bonuses will come much easier, later on.

Edit: The more you study the game, the more you will win at the tables. Its as simple as that.

dam thats a lot of ifs. hope this helps.
    • michaelqian
      michaelqian
      Bronze
      So what limit should I play?

How about 2c/5c? That's the lowest I'm willing to go, because 1c/2c I think is somewhat pointless.
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Originally posted by michaelqian

How about 2c/5c? That's the lowest I'm willing to go, because 1c/2c I think is somewhat pointless.
      Sure, but its still only 10 BI's. But if you read up and play solid its ok I guess.

I started at NL2 I think.
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze

Hello michaelqian,

Although you might consider 1c/2c to be 'nothing' to you your emphasis should be on playing good poker and becoming better. Doing this on a such a low limit is the perfect place since mistakes are a lot cheaper.

Judging by some of your previous comments you still have a lot to learn about online poker and bankroll management which is why such a low limit is the ideal place to start training.

Download the PokerStrategy Elephant: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/software/9/ in order to track your hands and your play and post the ones in which you weren't sure about how you played for evaluation.

Money is secondary when you start off - learning is everything ;)

Best regards
      SoyCD
    • michaelqian
      michaelqian
      Bronze
      Thanks for all the advice.

Down to $45 now, but not too concerned about it at the moment, been playing 2c/5c limits, will try 1/2 limit later today.

Haven't been getting too many good starting hands lately, so had to fold 95% of the time, so was eaten away by the blinds quite a lot, plus also lost two or three reasonable sized pots.
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Thanks for all the advice.

Down to $45 now, but not too concerned about it at the moment, been playing 2c/5c limits, will try 1/2 limit later today.

Haven't been getting too many good starting hands lately, so had to fold 95% of the time, so was eaten away by the blinds quite a lot, plus also lost two or three reasonable sized pots.
      I think of my sessions as "one big foldfest", this seems to keep me untilted. Adding a table helped me get hands more often.
    • michaelqian
      michaelqian
      Bronze
      I play 2 tables at once.

I get hands like 25o, 27o, 36o etc....... A LOT.

Occasionally A9o, A2o, Q9o, K2o etc..., very rarely I call with these hands, sometimes as the small blind I may call something like A6o, but not often, definitely fold to a raise.

So far happy to say that 98% of my fold decisions have been correct.
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      I play 2 tables at once.

I get hands like 25o, 27o, 36o etc....... A LOT.

Occasionally A9o, A2o, Q9o, K2o etc..., very rarely I call with these hands, sometimes as the small blind I may call something like A6o, but not often, definitely fold to a raise.

So far happy to say that 98% of my fold decisions have been correct.
      Hey michaelqian,

You should get into the habit of not calling hands pre-flop. You goal should be to look at flops as the pre-flop aggressor - preferably while in position against weak players who will often fold against continuation bets.

The only times you want to see multiway pots is when you have hands that can hit monsters - so with small pocket pairs or with suited connectors. Hands like Q9 or A9o are hands you don't ever want to land in multiway pots in (so pots in which you limped or called) since you will never know where you stand - even if you do hit.

If you haven't done so - read the bronze articles on big stack strategy play in our article section: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/no-limit/

Best regards
      SoyCD