Speeding up Elephant?

• Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Elephant is running v slowly and takes ages to get going.

In Database Management, there are some tools for improving the database: 'analyse', 'vacuum' and 'complete maintain' (not sure if they are the exact names, but you get the picture. )

Has anyone any advice about what is the most effective way of improving the DB speed and how long each option takes?

For info, I have about 40k hands in DB.

TIA,

Tim
  • 12 replies
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      What's your hardware? I've got like 20k hands and I don't feel the Elephant in the background on a 3ghz cpu/1gb RAM and 10k rpm harddrive.

As I've never needed to speed the Elephant I can't tell you about the tweaks.
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      87.6k hands make my Elephant load too slow, it also slows down my whole pc.

I would suggest the developers make a sticky on how to eliminate old hands without deleting the whole database, how to check if a database is ok and how to fix it if its not.

In other words, I know nothing about databases and would appreciate some tips on how to streamline/speed it up.
    • mafaz
      mafaz
      Bronze
      i would suggest you all to use different databases for different limits... all in all you only need hud stats only for the limit you are playing.
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      If you play that much don't you think its worth upgrading to one of the big trackers?
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mafaz
      i would suggest you all to use different databases for different limits... all in all you only need hud stats only for the limit you are playing.
      Good idea, I have no idea how to safely do that though =S

I think there are many ways to speed Elephant up, but they should be stickied in one post for easy access imo
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tokyoaces
      If you play that much don't you think its worth upgrading to one of the big trackers?
      I've been thinking about buying HEM, but I can wait for the english store to be made I guess.
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Thanks for the responses so far.

Could s/one tell me how to create a separate DB for different limits?

Thanks
    • Khiiniau
      Khiiniau
      Gold
      Complete Maintenance has always helped me to speed Elephant to work normally. It may take some time, up to 1 hour for 100k hands, but it really fixes working speed back to normal. If you start tmaintenace, do not interrupt in any case.
    • andyb43
      andyb43
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Khiiniau
      Complete Maintenance has always helped me to speed Elephant to work normally. It may take some time, up to 1 hour for 100k hands, but it really fixes working speed back to normal. If you start tmaintenace, do not interrupt in any case.
      So is there a maintenance tab? I've got 40k hands and it takes longer and longer to load.

Also I find if I turn off the poker site before closing Elephant, then Elephant will not close at all and freezes up! Doesn't cause any other problems with PC. Any fix for this ?
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Originally posted by andyb43
      Originally posted by Khiiniau
      So is there a maintenance tab? I've got 40k hands and it takes longer and longer to load.

Also I find if I turn off the poker site before closing Elephant, then Elephant will not close at all and freezes up! Doesn't cause any other problems with PC. Any fix for this ?
      Open Elephant, click the circle icon at top left, database management.

I made a "backup", then I did "maintenance"(complete). In progress right now.
    • andyb43
      andyb43
      Bronze
      Cool, let me know how it goes........I'll check in the morning...bed time here,
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Originally posted by andyb43
      Cool, let me know how it goes........I'll check in the morning...bed time here,
      All went well but I don't see much improvement just yet, maybe tomorrow when I play a bit.