Poker Player Stats

• funjubulus
      funjubulus
      Bronze
      Hi,

As a relative newbie to poker i've now got into stats and how they tell me about other player etc.

What i'm keen to know is where these stats come from? Are they held in FTP/PS database etc etc or are they learned by the software you use and unfold empirically as you play your opponents?

If they're held in a DB, isn't this unfair on people who know nothing about such things (me 3 weeks ago) as it clearly marks out people who know nothing without even playing them? I know that a few hands will generally give the game away anyway of course.

All info/learning about such things would be much appreciated.
  • 5 replies
    • TFMonty
      TFMonty
      Bronze
      nope the sites save hand histories to your computer...........

all the programme's are doing is taking that information and displaying it in a more appealing way
    • funjubulus
      funjubulus
      Bronze
      So if the stats are based solely on the recently saved hand histories, they're unreliable for quite a while no?
      You have to play an opponent a lot of times for the stats to be meaningful right?

And what is 'data mining'? i've seen software promising all sorts but i need to understand what it's all about!

Not that it matters at micro limits anyway - which is where i'm at, but i'm still curious.

Cheers
    • spadesnaces
      spadesnaces
      Bronze
      Datamining is illegal on all the sites i know about. Yes, you are correct that the stats are really unreliable w/o a decent sample size, but with a small sample you can have a decent idea of how tight or loose the player is playing. This is helpful when multitabling, but IMO not needed except to track your own results.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by funjubulus
      So if the stats are based solely on the recently saved hand histories, they're unreliable for quite a while no?
      You have to play an opponent a lot of times for the stats to be meaningful right?

And what is 'data mining'? i've seen software promising all sorts but i need to understand what it's all about!

Not that it matters at micro limits anyway - which is where i'm at, but i'm still curious.

Cheers
      Kind of.. But you can get the impression of what kind of player it is quite fast, like the guy with 46vpivp/5pfr over 30 hands gives you good impression of what kind of player it is.
      And Data mining
    • dadude77
      dadude77
      Bronze
      Originally posted by spadesnaces
      Datamining is illegal on all the sites i know about. .
      It is fine on the Ipoker sites, titan and Mansion. I know it is forbidden on ftp and stars.

On party I know there is tools for it, but not sure if legal or not... never played there!