numpaf's Fixed Limit adventure

• numpaf
      numpaf
      Bronze
      Hi, fellas! I would like to present you my new blog - "numpaf's Fixed Limit adventure". I will blog to track my progress, and more important, to get feedback from you. And if I shall quote Waiboy - "The world needs more fixed limit blogs". :D

First, let me introduce myself because most of you haven't got a clue who I am. My name is Marin and I'm from Bulgaria (yeah, Eastern Europe :) ). I'm 22 years old (turning 23 in less than a month) and currently studying Finance at the University of Economics in Varna. Actually this is my final year, I have passed all exams and the only thing I have to do to get a diploma is finish my graduation thesis. The deadline for this is June 11th but poker seems to be a great menace to my graduation. I just find it more interesting to play poker than writing about the credit crunch, interest rates, housing loans, banks liquidity problems, etc.

So, let's talk about poker. PokerStrategy.com is probably the best site I have stumbled upon this year. Before joining PS I've played only some play money games on Poker Stars (damn, can't track my account now :f_confused: ). In other words two months ago I was a complete beginner. PS was trying to convince me that even the basic articles would give me an edge over many players + they were offering $50 free, so it was an easy choice joining. It was a little bit more difficult to choose a type of game to play - FL, NL or SnG? Back then I picked Fixed Limit and till now I'm really in love with this game. I won't try to explain why I think it's the best form of hold'em texas, just say Fixed Limit rulz! :s_cool:

I passed the quiz fairly easy, got my starting capital on Mansion and sat on a real money table for the first time in my life. And it was great! After 55 hands on FR 0.05/0.10 I was $1.05 ahead and really happy. Then I had 7 losing sessions in a row which got me back on the ground and I realized I have a long way to go until I become a winning player even at the micro limits. I took the standard medicine - reading articles, watching videos, browsing the hand evaluation forum. This really helps and it's the right thing to do if one wants to improve. To cut the long story short, 0.10/0.20 FR went very good and two days ago I got the bankroll for 0.25/0.50. The first two sessions on the new limit were nice. Now I'm really convinced I can beat this limit easily and move to 0.50/1 as soon as I get the needed bankroll.

I know you like pictures, so here is my fixed limit adventure graph:

My stats after 8166 hands:
      VPIP 20.9
      PFR 10.9
      AF 1.66
      winrate 6.75 BB/100
      Bankroll $191.83

As you can see from the graph my progress is slow but constant :) . I will end this first post here because it's getting late. The first update will be tomorrow as I had very interesting session today.

Finally, I would like to thank the staff of PokerStrategy.com for letting me become a part of this wonderful community. Many thanks to TerrorBlade and Cornholio for the great coachings and videos; also to frzl and ciRith who do a great job in the hand evaluation forum and to Primzi, Bapsy22 and irregularity who have commented on some of my hands. Your help is highly appreciated guys! :)

We are the minraise mafia! (kingdippy ®) :s_biggrin:

P.S. Please, excuse my English. I don't have many chances to practice it lately and it has become a little rusty. So if some of the sentences above seem awkward, please ignore it. :heart:
  • 21 replies
    • SalamiandCheese
      SalamiandCheese
      Bronze
      Your English is just fine - better than some people I know here in Canada! Looking forward to reading the blog. :s_cool: That a nice winrate you have there! I ran at 7.5BB/100 on .25/.50 FL-SH over 8k hands. My advice is to not expect such a high rate to continue. It will probably move down in the next 10-20k hands. If you're still running that well after 30k hands, well, that would be simply outstanding. Good Luck! :s_biggrin:
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      Good luck! :)
    • Berkstajger
      Berkstajger
      Bronze
      Good luck. :f_cool:

Your story reminds me of mine. And, oh, reminds me to start my own blog someday... :)
    • numpaf
      numpaf
      Bronze
      Thank you guys! Here is the promised update.

Last night I played a short session of FR 0.25/0.50, only 124 hands. The main reason was that the tables were filled with TAGs, I could hardly find a table with more than 30% P/F. I don't get this thing about Mansion - one night it's swarming with fish and the other the tables are completely dry :f_confused: If you can tell me how to find the best tables, I'll be grateful.

The session wasn't going the way I wanted - completely missing all flops, everybody folding to my strong hands raises, no one folding to my cbets, you know what I'm talking about :) . And then... a mirracle happened! Well, I really don't know what are the odds but I got AA three times in a row (two times even on the same table lol :f_o: ) closely followed by AK and QQ. Here is a screenshot (you can look at the timing on the left):

The AK didn't hit but all 3xAA and QQ were good and rocketed me 30 BB up :f_cool: . I didn't only get good hands but other players also hit the flop and paid me really well. Here are some of these hands:

1. Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

$0.25/$0.5 Fixed-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A, A.
      5 folds, MP3 raises, 2 folds, Hero 3-Bets, BB folds, MP3 caps, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.00 SB) 9, 6, 5 (2 players)
      Hero bets, MP3 raises, Hero 3-Bets, MP3 caps, Hero calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) 5 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets, Hero calls.

River: (10.50 BB) 5 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 bets, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB.

Results follow:

Hero shows a full-house, fives full of aces (A A)
      MP3 shows a full-house, fives full of kings (K K)
      Hero wins with a full-house, fives full of aces (A A).

2. Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

$0.25/$0.5 Fixed-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A, A.
      3 folds, Hero raises, MP3 calls, 3 folds, BB calls.

Flop: (6.40 SB) 2, 2, 2 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets, MP3 raises, BB folds, Hero 3-Bets, MP3 caps, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.20 BB) T (2 players)
      Hero bets, MP3 calls.

River: (9.20 BB) 4 (2 players)
      Hero bets, MP3 raises, Hero 3-Bets, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 15.20 BB.

Results follow:

Hero shows a full-house, twos full of aces (A A)
      MP3 shows a full-house, twos full of sixs (6 6)
      Hero wins with a full-house, twos full of aces (A A).

3. Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

$0.25/$0.5 Fixed-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q, Q.
      4 folds, MP3 calls, Hero raises, 3 folds, MP3 calls.

Flop: (5.40 SB) A, 8, A (2 players)
      MP3 bets, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.70 BB) Q (2 players)
      MP3 bets, Hero raises, MP3 3-Bets, Hero caps, MP3 calls.

River: (11.70 BB) 9 (2 players)
      MP3 bets, Hero raises, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 15.70 BB.

Results follow:

Hero shows a full-house, queens full of aces (Q Q)
      MP3 shows three of a kind, aces (A 7)
      Hero wins with a full-house, queens full of aces (Q Q).

The last hand I had some luck too, but in the end it was all right. Here is the graph for the session:

:s_biggrin:
      After these hands I decided to leave because I didn't like the tables and the profit was good.

So, this is it for now. Maybe I should keep my posts shorter. I don't know if you have the time to read all this stuff. Next time I will post my short- and long-term goals. GL at the tables!
    • numpaf
      numpaf
      Bronze
      Today I played during the extra happy hour on Mansion from 17.00 to 18.00 GMT to earn some MCPs. I finished the session breakeven, actually $0.60+ (I like the green rows in HEM :) ). No significant change to the bankroll but MCPs are good too.

I see all other bloggers have set some goals, so here's mine:

Short-term
      1. Upgrade to Club - 1180.4/2000 MCP (59.02% completed)
      2. Clear the $100 bonus - 2912/6500 MCP (44.80% completed)
      3. Finish my graduation thesis - 70% completed (maybe this should be in 1st place)

Mid-term
      1. Build bankroll for 0.50/1 FR - 64.14% completed
      2. Move to SH
      3. Get the gold status on PS.com

Long-term
      Build $10k bankroll :D

That's all for now folks! Good luck at the tables :s_thumbsup:
    • numpaf
      numpaf
      Bronze
      May 21st
      Had another 300 hands breakeven session. Maybe I should be happy about it because till the 260th hand it wasn't going the way I like. Added some MCPs to my account though. There should be no problem achieving the Club status on Mansion.

May 22nd
      Today I decided to try something new and registered for one of the daily $100 freerolls on Full Tilt. Surprisingly I finished in 22nd place out of 2700 players and won... the mind blowing $2 w00t :s_ugly: ! It was fun actually. I began reading the basic SnG articles with 100 players left to beat and I think I played decently. The push or fold chart was very helpful in the late phase. Last hand I was dealt A :heart: K :heart: and pushed from MP with only 7BB left and got called by A :spade: Q :spade: . Villain hit his Q :club: on the river obv.. :f_confused: This is just ridiculous! Seriously, I admire the players who have the nerves to play SnG and MTT. You can play for an hour and finish out of the money because of a suckout, I will pass, thank you. :) The good thing is now I have $2 in my FTP account and can try my luck at the FL 0.05/0.10 FR tables. Let's see if TheLastNail is the only one to make it from $1 to Diamond :) .

Unfortunately that was the good part of the day. Tonight I had a terrible session on Mansion. I won't post the graph, it's so ugly... :s_cry: 20BB down but I cleared one more part from the $100 bonus and now my bankroll stands at where it was on Monday. I know this hardly can be called a downswing but last time I lost so much was over a month ago. I can't pass the $200 mark for 4 days now. Let's hope everything's fine tomorrow. :)

Short-term goals
      1. Upgrade to Club - 1535.15/2000 MCP (76.75% completed)
      2. Clear the $100 bonus - 3266.75/6500 MCP (50.26 % completed)
      3. Finish my graduation thesis - 71% completed (getting really worried about this one)

BR: $192.02

FTP bankroll: $2.00
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by numpaf
      Hi, fellas! I would like to present you my new blog - "numpaf's Fixed Limit adventure". I will blog to track my progress, and more important, to get feedback from you. And if I shall quote Waiboy - "The world needs more fixed limit blogs". :D
      Hey Marin - looks like a pretty good start to your blog and post PS.com registration poker career!

I hope, to whatever deity's website you subscribe to, that you read the first entry of my blog and skipped to the end. Save yourself some serious pain and slightly unnecessarily indiscreet blog entries. :f_rolleyes:

More seriously though, you should enjoy the process of your blog and remember - it is just that. Put in what makes sense to you, what you want to be able to look back on. Really, I figure they work at their best as an online diary. As long as it is an FL blog, otherwise you're wasting your time just typing meaningless words, obv. :f_wink:
    • numpaf
      numpaf
      Bronze
      Hey Waiboy, I'm not really sure if I understand what you mean... Did I offend you in some way? :rolleyes:
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by numpaf
      Hey Waiboy, I'm not really sure if I understand what you mean... Did I offend you in some way? :rolleyes:
      Ahh, no dude. Apologies, I abuse humour in unfortunate ways and this looks like such an occassion.

[humour]From now on I'll use [humour] [/humour] identifiers for my own protection and the safety of others.[/humour] :f_eek:
    • DarthBobo
      DarthBobo
      Bronze
      triple AA, that's always fun isn't it! It happened to me too a long time ago when I was playing $0.05/$0.10.

I always play 4 tables and at one point I had AA at 3 tables and at the other table AKs :D

Welcome to the FL community. Soon we'll be outnumbering the NL blogs :D
    • numpaf
      numpaf
      Bronze
      May 23
      After the terrible session on Friday I thought that things could only get better. Well, I was wrong! :f_biggrin: I was going really bad hitting the bottom at -22BB. The last 30 hands were lucky though, some of my draws finally completed and I won a couple of big pots to finish in green. Only +$1.13 but green is always good. :)

Here is the graph:

May 24
      Pretty much the same thing. I'm stuck with these break even sessions and I can't see the end of it. +$0.06 LOL :f_eek:

Weekly review
      I had a great start of the week on Monday and this was my first day on 0.25/0.50. Right then I thought crushing this limit will be peace of cake. Now I'm not really sure. My bankroll stays the same for 5 days now and that's with the $10 bonus I cleared on Friday. :f_frown:

I hope next week my bankroll will finaly exceed $200 and more important the break even series will stop. :)

Short-term goals:
      1. Upgrade to Club - 1770/2000 MCP (88.52% completed)
      2. Clear the $100 bonus - 3502/6500 MCP (53.88% completed)
      3. Finish my graduation thesis - 72% completed

BR: $193.21

FTP bankroll: $2.47 :f_p:
    • numpaf
      numpaf
      Bronze
      May 25
      I did it! The break even series are over (I hope). Finally I had some good hands and made a decent profit for only an hour of play.

Short-term goals:
      1. Upgrade to Club - 1875/2000 MCP (93.75% completed)
      2. Clear the $100 bonus - 3606/6500 MCP (55.48% completed)
      3. Finish my graduation thesis - 73% completed

BR: $201.74 :f_love:
    • rex99
      rex99
      Bronze
      hi numpaf =D

have seen you some time ago at mansion playing 0.10/0.20, its nice to see you're now playing 0.50 xD

recently my roll reached 175$ and i decided to take some shots at 0.50, the results where not that good and i'm now at 0.20 again. (Losing for bad beat i prefer to lose less)

wish you all the best and luck at tables xD
    • go6071
      go6071
      Bronze
      Numpaf I also am watching your progress. One advice from me: switch as fast as possible to SH. 2 days ago I got the bankroll for 0.50/1.00 FR and I can say it is horrible, the game were very tight, I could hardly find 4 good tables at Stars and I hit a major downswing which led to -50 dollars (good that I got enough FPP to get my 50 bonus) so I went back to 0.25/0.50 but SH. I can tell you that the people are just begging you to get their money. It's like stealing a candy from a baby. So build a BR from 250 $ as fast as you can and move to SH.
    • NakiMan
      NakiMan
      Bronze
      Numpaf, I totally agree with go6071, playing short handed 10/20 at Mansion is like being in a fish tank, even more so on the turbo tables. 25/50 is not much different, just a little bit tighter. Plus there are always plenty of tables.

GL,

NakiMan
    • numpaf
      numpaf
      Bronze
      Hey, all! Thanks for the advice :) . Actually, I was thinking giving a try at SH a couple a days ago. Maybe I'll open a 0.1/0.2 SH table tonight to see how the action is going. I didn't expect to see so many TAGs on 0.25/0.5 FR. I'm sitting on the tables with the same players every night, and most of them have stats like 19.5/9.6 :s_rolleyes: . It seems to me that all the fish are playing SH :D .
    • numpaf
      numpaf
      Bronze
      May 26
      As promised I played some 0.1/0.2 SH, almost 400 hands. First impression - full of maniacs! Well, I know that SH tables are loose... but that loose? They were cold calling my 3-bets, I cap and all 5 call, at least 5 players per each flop, WTF?!? Guys raising preflop and betting all streets with 7 high, capping river with bottom pair weak kicker, again WTF?!? It was really hard for me in the beginning. I had to adapt my play. One can't play tight on these tables, this means I can only play AQ+, JJ+ because almost every hand there's a 3-bet in front of me. So I started playing more hands and won some. Then a series of bad beats sent me deep in the red zone. With 4-5 players per flop it's really hard to win with a top pair. Some crazy two-pairs, flushes and 42o completing straight on river and I was -40 BB down. Right then I was on the verge of giving up but I knew I could beat these freaking fishies. Played around 100 good hands more, maybe I got some luck too and managed to finish break even.

Here's the graph:

:s_smile:
      I need some practice and this limit should be a gold mine. I really hope that 0.25/0.5 SH is a bit tighter cause I'm not really comfortable playing with maniacs.

May 27
      Champions League night! As you can expect from a Bulgarian I'm a huge fan of Dimitar Berbatov. Sadly, there was only one team on the pitch last night and that was Barca. Great football by them, really beautiful game, they deserved to be champions! :)

Pokerwise, I was back to 0.25/0.5 FR. Played only 90 hands because it was getting late. Having so much action the previous night on 0.1/0.2 SH it was a bit boring on FR. I was -10 BB down and decided to try SH again :P . It went good this time and I even managed to make a small profit of $1.93, which means I have won 20 BB on SH, nice result for a beginner like me. :f_biggrin:
      Also I have accumulated enough MCP points to be upgraded to VIP level Club next month.

Short-term goals:
      1. Upgrade to Club - 2000/2000 MCP *completed*
      2. Clear the $100 bonus - 3791/6500 MCP (58.32% completed)
      3. Finish my graduation thesis - 75% completed

BR: $203.53
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      Yeah, it's mad world out there :D
      Good luck with SH. You will need it :f_biggrin:
    • kennyxx
      kennyxx
      Bronze
      Hi Numpaf,

welcome to the world of FL-SH :f_p:

I was down about 100BB with my first SH attempts, be prepaired to higher variance. But once You will get used to...

GL and see You at the tables :)