wee bit of help please

• dixxiehaze
      dixxiehaze
      Bronze
      hey guys been watching all the nl fr bss videos and alot them use the equilator and talk about equity of hands e.t.c

is there an artical or a video or can sum1 please explaine to me how all of this works and how to work it out ,like on one of hazenbratens videos for example he will say well i will need an equity of over 35% then goes and checks ranges against his hand to find out the equity

what does he mean he needs an equity of over 35% and how does he work it out e.t.c

look forward to yous shedding some light on this

thanks
  • 9 replies
    • mChavez
      mChavez
      Bronze
      First, read about equity: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/glossary/Equity

THen, I guess in the videos and articles they just mean that your cards need to have certain equity against opponent's range.

I've got another question, but its not really offtopic: does anyone have time to key in the cards and the ranges into equillator while playing at least 4 tables? Cause I don't =(
    • dixxiehaze
      dixxiehaze
      Bronze
      il defo have a look at that artical later tonight

what i mean is say for example one of the videos say well i need 38% equity against his hand range,then another hand hel say well i need 45% equity against his hand range e.t.c.

how does he work out how much equity he needs to make it a good call against his opponents range of hands,if you watch most of hasenbratens videos hel say well i need X% equity then hell pull up the equilator and type in ranges and see hwo they mark up against his hole cards

where does he get the % he needs to be above to decide if its a good call

is it do do with bets,pot size,stack left e.t.c because i recon once i learn this it will give me a significant edge over some of or alot of my opponents

thanks
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      If pot = $1 and villain bets 0.60 then you have to call 0.60 to win a pot of $2.20.

0.60/2.20 = 27% pot odds. Many times you can take into account implied odds too if you think you will extract more money if you hit your outs.

Then Hasenbraten opens Equilator and calculates what hands his opp might have and calculates his equity %.

Hope this helps a bit.
    • dixxiehaze
      dixxiehaze
      Bronze
      im kinda understanding it but would really like to read a few articals with expected value and equity %

does anyone know of any articals?

thebrood where did you learn about this stuff was it through this site or through a book,website e.t.c

message back please

thanks

kyle
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      I learned it here, through articles, videos and hand evaluations, forgot where exactly.
    • mChavez
      mChavez
      Bronze
      Allright, I'll tell you a secret website where you can get a lot of reading about poker strategy, but don't tell anyone, cause we don't want to breed good players, do we? YOu can find all you need here:

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/no-limit/
    • dixxiehaze
      dixxiehaze
      Bronze
      haha il need to check that site out ;)

i really am taking the aticals slowly and same with videos readin them all atleast 5 times before moving on to another atical as i really want to drill it in and understand where i am prety much in most situations and know what to do

but as i read throgh the articals hopefully il learn more about the ev plus equity

thanks
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      If you get stuck on something, google it or just keep on reading; it will probably come to you later on.
    • Hackett77
      Hackett77
      Bronze
      http://www.cardschat.com/poker-equity.php