The other kind of tilt

• howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      I meant to post this in self management, but it seem to have disappeared during the update so this seems to be the closest remaining board.

Lately I've been doing well. I've been winning small pots and big pots at a steady if not always very fast rate and I think it's likely that luck has favoured me in many situations. However, my bankroll is not increasing and tonight I saw one of the possible causes.

After an hour or so of playing solid tight aggressive poker at four average to soft FR NL25 tables, perhaps missing a little value here and there but not making any great mistakes nor getting any unusually good opportunities and being about 2.5 buyins up, I entered a state which I had no chance of recognising at the time but which I can now call without doubt "tilt".

Unlike typical tilt, I felt just fine. I felt good in fact, knowing that I had been playing well and was being adequately rewarded for it. But my judgement was impaired, and a few hands later I stacked off (when slightly deep) with TPTK to a player who I should've known had a real hand. And then again a few hands later and then half a stack a couple of hands later. By this point my winnings had vanished and I was annoyed with myself for doing something so stupid and realised that I had entered classic tilt and stopped playing.

Damage limitation of classic tilt is quite easy as there are many symptoms to recognise, but this other tilt, this winner's tilt, I don't know how to recognise or avoid. Is this common? How do you learn to deal with it?
  • 6 replies
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      There are several forms of tilt. some play bad when they win some do when they loose.

All in all i think the best thing to avoid playing different is making regular brakes.

even if they are just small brakes. But for most people (me too) it is very hard to keep up my A-game more then 1 1/2 hour. so in general i make smaller brakes after an hour or bigger timeouts after 2 hours.

Just to keep up my concentration.
    • Mugge88
      Mugge88
      Bronze
      Without having experienced much tilt (neither by losing or winning) i might not be the expert on this matter.. But the key to avoid tilting is to recognize every situation where you make a bad move and learn from it. You probably know better than anyone else in which situations you typically starts making mistakes first when falling in to the state of tilting. It might be overating you hand, missing some signs of big strength from your opponents or maybe going into a more passive state over time (calldowns).

When you have identified the situations in which you often make mistakes if you are on a tilt (no matter whats the reason for it) you could make a note with the different situations and place it next to your computer to remind yourself to take a break if you start making some of these mistakes and of course also to make you aware of them so you can avoid them completely.

I got this idea from a danish pokerpro who used it alot in the beginning of his career, and in his own eyes it saved him lots and lots of buyins back then. You can try it if you feel like it - and please post the result if you try it.

Regards
      Mugge
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      Yap that is really something you should do.

I did that, earlier in my poker carreer with leaks i discovered. For example i wasn't able to fold marginal hands and called them down although it was clear i was beaten so i made a big paper and wrote down 'FOLD !!!' pinned it on my screen and it always reminded me about my leak.

So i think you can do that with tilt situations, too.

Interesting hint Mugge. Thx.
    • howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      Investing in post-it notes sounds good to me and it's reassuring to hear that I'm not the only one who can't concentrate without limit so I think I'll implement both and hopefully build a roll to move up soon.
    • howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      A bit under a month on, one of my problems seem to have pretty much resolved itself as I now have trouble playing enough poker per week, as my drop to silver status shows. For the other, I've learned to fold (in fact my main dangers now are avoiding maniacal and weak tight play, mostly the latter!) and that post-it notes don't stick like they used to.

With another few hundred in my bankroll and more experience under my belt I'm as ready to hit NL50 as I'll be and will be doing so in $20's time, so to speak. Although it's hardly been intentional, reducing session lengths has particularly helped I think, thanks.
    • Stefan1000
      Stefan1000
      Bronze
      Yap it is important just to stay concentrated.

Even when you want to concentrate just take a break of about 20-30 mins and then continue to play but playing 3 hours in a row is too hard i would say.

Best regards,
      Steafn