Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      MP2:
      $8.82
      Hero:
      $10.00

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with K:club: , K:heart: . Hero posts a blind of $0.10.
      2 folds, MP2 calls $0.10, MP3 folds, Hero raises to $0.50, 3 folds, MP2 calls $0.40.

Flop: ($1.15) Q:diamond: , 2:club: , 6:club: (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero bets $0.65, MP2 calls $0.65.

Turn: ($2.45) Q:club: (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero checks.

River: ($2.45) 9:spade: (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $2.45

Is this the right play? I thought he had a queen so when the second one came up I didn't think it was profitable to bet.

What could I improve next time?
  • 6 replies
    • maya1984
      maya1984
      Bronze
      First of all make the flop bet bigger, the board is drawy with two clubs.
      I betting 90c-1$ on this board.

Checking the turn is not a good line. By betting you will three things:
      1. Protection from a draw
      2. More value from weaker hands.
      3. Information about him having a queen.

If he raising you big, you can think about folding with him having a queen.
      If he calls, you can put either on a draw, a queen, or maybe A2,A6.

On a blank river, If you want to be conservative you can check behind, but I really don't put him on a queen here. Fish are not that smart for check/raise.
      I will put a small 1/3 value bet from hands A9,A6,A2. A fish might call here.

Hope you understand why should bet the turn. :)

Good Luck!
    • SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      Originally posted by maya1984
      First of all make the flop bet bigger, the board is drawy with two clubs.
      I betting 90c-1$ on this board.

Checking the turn is not a good line. By betting you will three things:
      1. Protection from a draw
      2. More value from weaker hands.
      3. Information about him having a queen.

If he raising you big, you can think about folding with him having a queen.
      If he calls, you can put either on a draw, a queen, or maybe A2,A6.

On the blank river, If you want to be conservative you can check behind, but I really don't put him on a queen here. Fish are not that smart for check/raise.
      I will put a small 1/3 value bet from hands A9,A6,A2. A fish might call here.

Hope you understand why should bet the turn. :)

Good Luck!
      Yeah I should have made the flop bet larger. I put him on either a flush draw or a queen, and when the queen of clubs came out I wasn't prepared to waste any money so I checked behind.

He had Q9o, and took the pot down with a full house.
      He was very passive too so I don't think I could've gotten much infortmation from him apart from "I call a lot".
    • maya1984
      maya1984
      Bronze
      Make a note on this guy (Just write down calling station! :s_biggrin: )
      About a line here against a station, If you have a read on him only calling with strong hands so you might consider checking , but against a typical station I'm taking the same line. They usually keep on calling with a TP or even worse so we just need to keep on betting to get more value from our hands.
    • Michailewic
      Michailewic
      Bronze
      I would bet more on the flop ($0,76-$0,86).
      I would also check behind the turn to hit my flush.

After he checks on the river and because he is very passive I might make a bet for value on the river (but fold to any raise).
    • maya1984
      maya1984
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Michailewic
      I would also check behind the turn to hit my flush.
      Michailewic, I seen some judges advice to just check behind when we pick a draw on the turn. Is it because we have more equality and we afraid we will be raised?
    • Michailewic
      Michailewic
      Bronze
      Usually, it is better to check behind to avoid to be c/r. You might have the best hand or you can outdraw you opponent, but you cannot do that by calling c/r.

Same applies if you are OOP. You c/c since you might have the best hand and thus keep the pot small. And if you are behind, you can outdraw your opponent.

In this case, checking behind is the best move since no worse hands will call you. And I you are called or raised you are almost always behind.