About to start my poker career. A little help please :)

• MaCe90
      MaCe90
      Bronze
      Here goes. I managed to gather myself a pretty nice bankroll of 1000$ (actually its 1200$ but i'm going to buy poker tracker 3 and some other stuffs).
      Initially I wanted to deposit 500$ on stars for sngs and 500$ on another site for cash with rakeback.

My question is , is it possible to play both cash and sng without having your game affected by each other ? I'm more into sngs, but I also like cash.

What would you recommend me to do ?

It got through my mind to deposit al 1k on pokerstars, and begin with the 3,4$ SnG's until I feel I constantly beat it and when i'm ready I should go to 6,5$ and so on. Of course while playing I'm going to study everything that falls before my eyes.

I would like as many oppinions as possible, thanks for the help.
      Greetings, MaCe.
  • 8 replies
    • SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      SNG's and cash games are two different things, although you can apply the same starting hands/betting styles to both; the strategies are different. Cash game strategies involve waiting for something good, and acting accordingly. SNG's are different due to plays being made depending on stack size.

I think it's okay if you want to have two different bankrolls, but don't limit yourself to one type of game per bankroll. Mix it up a bit!

Stick to the articles when starting also. You'll improve quickly.

Good luck!
    • MaCe90
      MaCe90
      Bronze
      Any other oppinions ? I've calculated the fpp rate for my goals and its huge, I might open my blog before starting to play :D
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Hi MaCe90,

I personally think that it would be ok to have two separate aspects running side by side (i.e. switching from one to the other), just so long as you are confident and experienced enough to know the difference and are able to adapt to the obvious differences.

On the plus side, it would help to break up the boredom of cash games more if you also had an SnG interest.

I would definately not recommend playing both at the same time/session though as it would be easy to get confused. Keep a clear separated allocation of time/br for each and be certain you know which you are playing in any given session.

Sounds like you already understand the concept of BRM and are taking a sensible level which is of course a must when spliting your br up into different activities.

Like i said, it's certainly possible, but make sure you are happy and clear doing this. Start slow, 1 or 2 tables at a time and don't try to multi-table too many until you are confident enough to do so. With a shortage of time, comes mistakes and possible confusion.

Good luck & let us know how you get on.

Bart

Edit: Of course it goes without saying that make sure you read each strategy guide carefully and if doing SnG's, make good use of the ICM trainer before getting started :)
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      if you've mastered both disciplines (which you probably haven't), then you can play both, i guess. otherwise, it's not as good as just playing one
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      I wouldn't actually recommend Pokerstars as your primary site for micro/low limit SNGs. Usually there are worse players at smaller sites and at low limits there is also enough traffic to play a reasonable number of tables. Moving to Pokerstars and giving up on the fishes only becomes necessary as you move up the stakes IMO..
      I don't like the idea of mixing two game types together while still learing. I think it would more efficient if you just stick with one and after you get accomplished at it start learning something else.

And the ICM trainer is definitely a must for SNGs and it's pretty much as important as the poker client itself if you want to play turbos.
    • timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      I think it is great idea, at pokerstars, make sure you have SNG tables and cash game table colors different.
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      I think it's better to be really good at one thing than to be average on two. It'll also be harder (and take more time) to properly review both.. much more work.
    • MaCe90
      MaCe90
      Bronze
      Thanks everyone for the advice. After realising that I like more SnG's, got more experience in 'em and as fongie said its better to focus the study and practice on just one thing, I've decided to deposit all 1000$ on pokerstars, and start grinding the 3,4$ SnG's at first, till I study and learn to use the ICM trainer and all . After I feel comfortable about beating the 3,4$ SnG's I shall pass to 6,5$ and slowly move up if there when its the case.

I must also say that I've multi-tabled turbo sit and go on different sites before, up to 12 tables (10 tables seem pretty easy to handle for me , I would die playing less than 4 tables now ). I calculated my VIP level on pokerstars and if I manage to get to play 3-4 hrs a day , 8tabling the 6,5$ sngs, I would be Gold to Platinum, with 7000fpp a month (12,000 with the 100% fpp bonus for gold players) and that means that in an year I would be Supernova if I manage to pull it through. And since pokerstars has so many incredible freerolls for Gold+ and an amazing shop and all ...I think I will go for supernova from next year on (got plenty of time to learn till then). Being supernova for an year it would be amazing - every week there is a 75,000$ freeroll where supernova have free entry (1400 players on average) , that would be 48 such freerolls a year besides the monthly 100,000$ and others. And since i'm pretty good at tournaments rather than cash ...I think I convinced myself and everyone what I'm going to do. (Man, I do need a blog, having that much to write down.)