[NL2-NL10] KK lost a big pot

• MAGICBRYAN
      MAGICBRYAN
      Bronze
      Hi All

When I got action here with my KK, it suddenly occured to me that I was playing BSS now not sss, and I checked myself to decide whether KK was still an automatic all-in pre-flop. It was in this moment of indecision that I started to see Aces in my opponents hands, and elected to call and see a flop, with the intention of being prepared to shove if there was no Ace.

There wasn't an Ace, and, although a draw heavy board, I didn't feel that other than possibly 10 10, there was a hand that had raised me before, that would have hit that flop hard, and my KK were probably still good. I didn't feel inclined for half measures allowing my opponents to hit anything cheap, so a shove it was.

As it turned out I had the best hand and got sucked out on, and lost a huge pot (relative to the stakes involved).

Whats more important though, is how I played it and could I have done much different?

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      BB:
      $2.00
      UTG2:
      $4.74
      CO:
      $0.80
      Hero:
      $1.88

0.01/0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BU with K:heart: , K:spade: . CO posts a blind of $0.02.
      UTG1 folds, UTG2 calls $0.02, 3 folds, CO checks, Hero raises to $0.12, SB folds, BB raises to $0.22, UTG2 calls $0.20, CO folds, Hero calls $0.10.

Flop: ($0.69) 7:club: , 9:heart: , T:diamond: (3 players)
      BB bets $0.30, UTG2 calls $0.30, Hero raises to $1.66 (All-In), BB raises to $1.78 (All-In), UTG2 calls $1.48.

Turn: ($5.91) T:club:
      River: ($5.91) Q:heart: (1 players)

Final Pot: $5.91

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows two pairs, kings and tens (Kh Ks)
      UTG2 shows a straight, king high (Jh Kd)
      BB shows a full-house, queens full of tens (Qs Qd)

BB wins with a full-house, queens full of tens (Qs Qd)

Gl All
      Bryan
  • 4 replies
    • SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      Raise pre-flop. Re-raise to raises, Re-Re-raise, etc..
      KK is only crushed by Pocket aces. Against AK it's a favourite, and only 1 in 5 boards are ace high.
    • maya1984
      maya1984
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SheepMoose
      Raise pre-flop. Re-raise to raises, Re-Re-raise, etc..
      KK is only crushed by Pocket aces. Against AK it's a favourite, and only 1 in 5 boards are ace high.
      +1
      Post flop played well.
    • Michailewic
      Michailewic
      Bronze
      You have to reraise/shove preflop. KK is the nuts here. And you are behind only agaisnt AA.

Originally posted by MAGICBRYAN
      and elected to call and see a flop, with the intention of being prepared to shove if there was no Ace.
      If he has AA, then it is very likely that no Ace will hit and you will go broke on the flop in a way behind situation. And other hands might outflop you; therefore, if he has AA, it does not matter wheter you go all-in preflop or on the flop (because you usually loose your stack). But you should go all-in preflop to put all your money against other hands.

If an Ace hits on the flop, then:

- he might not have an ace and you fold your best hand; therefore re-raise preflop would be the best;
      - he has Ax (other than AA); you made a mistake since you did not let him pay for drawing to his ace preflop; therefore re-raise preflop would be the best;
      - he has AA - it is very unlikely and in a small percentage you would save you buy-in (unless you would also hit a king); this rare situation however does not justify loosing value against other weaker hands and folding against weaker hands.
    • MAGICBRYAN
      MAGICBRYAN
      Bronze
      Hi All

Thanks guys for the feedback. It's one of the first times I have posted here, but will be doing so more in the future.

All the best
      Bryan