[NL2-NL10] NL10 89s calling preflop raises

• Smileyphil
      Smileyphil
      Bronze
      - Two hands here. Very similar ideas. The second one is just an edited version of the first. But I get this situation often and am never sure whether to make the call. I have only recently started playing suited connectors and am trying to get a feel for when to play them. Any other general suited connector advice is welcome.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $10.09
      MP1:
      $2.00
      CO:
      $10.40

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9:club: , 8:club:
      MP1 raises to $0.35, 2 folds, CO calls $0.35, BU folds, Hero calls $0.30, BB folds.

Final Pot: $1.15

Question 1: Can I call here?
      With two players in the pot I have decent pot odds but my implied odds are not good because MP1 is short stacked and CO is unlikely to stay in the hand if he misses the flop.

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $10.09
      MP1:
      $2.00
      CO:
      $10.40

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.67 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9:club: , 8:club:
      CO raises to $0.35, BU folds, Hero calls $0.30, BB folds.

Final Pot: $1.15

Question 2: Is this call ok?
      Now we only have one player entering the pot. Not good pot odds but pretty good implied odds because he is likely to make a cbet and is representing a strong hand that may go to showdown.

- Is there a general rule of when to call raises with suited connectors? Could I use the call20 rule same as for pocket pairs?

- How would I play the flop if I pick up a straight or flush draw? Can I call a potsize cbet? Sorry that this is so general. I will continue to post hands where I am unsure.
  • 3 replies
    • Michailewic
      Michailewic
      Bronze
      You cannot use rule "call 20" since you will hit less with suited connectors. Calling with suited connectors requires much more postflop skills. If you want to call/raise profitable, you will have to be able pick up some pot which you steal even if you do not hit. I would recommend you to avoid coldcalling suited connectors especially if you are OOP.

1st hand:

Since there was one coldcall, you can call it. You will, however, be OOP which will be harder to get much value if you hit.

2nd hand:

I do not think that call is good. You are OOP, against one opponent and without initiative. Usually, you will fold to his c-bet or get to ugly spots, which will not be profitable in a long run. Sometimes, I would 3-bet this hand, since CO is usually stealing and he has a wide range.

If you hit your flush draw or OESD, you should generally go for raise (this also depends on position of PFA and his action on the flop). Remeber, that power of suited connectors is not in their showdown value but in their fold equity. So you want to create maximum fold equity and win the pot directly. And if you are called sometimes, you have outs to outrun your opponent.

I advice you to check you stats how profitable you have played with suited connectors. And if you find out that your play has negative EV, you do not have to play them (then just keep the starting hand chart).
    • Smileyphil
      Smileyphil
      Bronze
      So suited connectors I should be open raising and cbetting rather than calling and check-raising like you might do a low pair?

If I was in position would these calls be good? Or is it just the case that I should never call raises with suited connectors?
    • Michailewic
      Michailewic
      Bronze
      That really depends on your opponents. Especially on their position, their reaction to 3-bets, folding to c-bets. Generally, calling a steall from SB or BB is not good since you will not hit many times and you will play OOP postflop. If there is bet and cold call, you might call since you have better implies and it is less likely that PFA will c-bet against two opponents.

If you are IP, then you can call. You rather do not call, e.g. if there is a squezer yet to act.

As I said, it is very dangerous to play with suited conntectors in 3-bet pots or without initiative. Be aware that if you 3-bet and hit OESD, you should be ready to go broke on the flop (which may increase variance). If you are not sure, then fold. Keeping starting hand chart is good.

If there were only limps, then you can limp against two or more limpers, since you will have position and rather keep the pot small. Against one limper, you may try to isolate in the late position. Sometimes you can isolate in the middle position or isolate in the late position against two limpers (unless they are loose and you know that it is likely that they will call you); also this is opponent dependant and post flop skills are required.